Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they are - the much requested Gloss black emblems. I gotta say, I was a fan of my Black Chrome ones, so I was hesitant to do this, but I love how it came out.

Also, I know some of you hate the black background under the A-mark on the rear. I happen to like it, but it is easy enough to remove once you have the emblem off - it’s just a piece of vinyl.

For part numbers and list pricing, please see this thread:

Photos:
Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Automotive lighting Car Grille Hood Motor vehicle

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Blue Vehicle

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
81 Posts
'Fricken Gorgeous!!! Love those they are hot!

Is there a secret to the removal and install? Guessing they use adhesive?

My dealer quoted over $700 just for the install of a full Type S set. To their credit, they did acknowledge that was a high price and did share a local body shop that may be able to do it for less.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Fricken Gorgeous!!! Love those they are hot!

Is there a secret to the removal and install? Guessing they use adhesive?

My dealer quoted over $700 just for the install of a full Type S set. To their credit, they did acknowledge that was a high price and did share a local body shop that may be able to do it for less.
Thank you!

Very very easy install my friend so long as you don’t care about push nuts. Again, the grille badge has push nuts and you have to remove the front bumper to install them - I cannot stress enough, these are not necessary for install. Additionally, the rear A-mark also has push nuts. Again, not needed for install. If you’re comfortable with no push nuts, you can do this in the comfort of your drive way with some masking tape, string, rubbing alcohol, and a hair dryer.

Give yourself a couple hours and you’re good to go!

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type-S Advance
43 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I really thought I would like the gloss black emblems over the dark chrome but I'm just not loving it. 😕 I may just stick with the chrome emblems until I can see how the gloss black emblems look on a liquid carbon metallic.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance, Liquid Carbon, Ebony
63 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I really thought I would like the gloss black emblems over the dark chrome but I'm just not loving it. 😕 I may just stick with the chrome emblems until I can see how the gloss black emblems look on a liquid carbon metallic.
Do you have regular chrome or dark chrome? I have dark chrome on my LCM Type S Advance and think it's a good look!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gloss black definitely drowns out a little bit, but the up close detail is pretty nice. It’s a very nice finish.

I wasn’t sure if I’d go back to my dark chrome or not, but wanted to give it a go. I do like the gloss black better - but I was absolutely unsure prior to doing it.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type-S Advance
43 Posts
Do you have regular chrome or dark chrome? I have dark chrome on my LCM Type S Advance and think it's a good look!
I still have the regular chrome. Was debating whether or not to go with dark chrome because I do like that look but now am unsure if the gloss black would be a better look. I just am not thrilled with how hard it is to see on the apex blue. Although it might stand out better on the liquid carbon. I'd prefer to see it on a liquid carbon before making a decision.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
291 Posts
Imo both dark badge variants get totally eaten up by apex and the other darker colors.

The decision between black chrome and gloss black is just if you care about the badges matching the rest of the black trim.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks absolutely mint but I thought you'd have a step by step to replacing them.

How simple is the process?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks absolutely mint but I thought you'd have a step by step to replacing them.

How simple is the process?
Super simple.

1) Select the badge/emblem you’re replacing and get some masking tape. Align two piece of masking tape on the vertical and horizontal side of the emblem you’re removing. This will mark it’s location and ensure the new emblem goes on in the exact same area.

2) Get yourself a piece of string and squeeze the string behind the emblem you’re removIng and in a sawing fashion, slide behind the emblem to remove it.

3) Remove any residual tape left while not disturbing the masking tape.

4) Apply 70% isopropyl alcohol to prep the surface for the new emblem

5) Get your new emblem, line it up with the masking tape and press on. Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive after you’re applied the emblem and press firmly on it.

All done.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
291 Posts
So are you saying a person should not heat adhesive to adhere it?
As far as I know, barring any specific instructions for Acura badges, no there is no reason or need to heat the badge post install. The bond to the surface happens due to pressure and surface prep (the isopropyl) with these types of 3M adhesive tape.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as I know, barring any specific instructions for Acura badges, no there is no reason or need to heat the badge post install. The bond to the surface happens due to pressure and surface prep (the isopropyl) with these types of 3M adhesive tape.
Ah, gotcha. Alright, well carry on then

·
Registered
174 Posts
Super simple.

1) Select the badge/emblem you’re replacing and get some masking tape. Align two piece of masking tape on the vertical and horizontal side of the emblem you’re removing. This will mark it’s location and ensure the new emblem goes on in the exact same area.

2) Get yourself a piece of string and squeeze the string behind the emblem you’re removIng and in a sawing fashion, slide behind the emblem to remove it.

3) Remove any residual tape left while not disturbing the masking tape.

4) Apply 70% isopropyl alcohol to prep the surface for the new emblem

5) Get your new emblem, line it up with the masking tape and press on. Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive after you’re applied the emblem and press firmly on it.

All done.

Oh, I've done that before with a tooth floss for debagging other cars.

I was under an impression that there are holes in the body where pins from the emblem go through and are attached on the inside.

That makes it a lot easier!

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
291 Posts
Oh, I've done that before with a tooth floss for debagging other cars.

I was under an impression that there are holes in the body where pins from the emblem go through and are attached on the inside.

That makes it a lot easier!
There is for the rear A mark and the grille badge. But the pins are for alignment not for retention. The adhesive is 10x stronger than those push nuts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts