·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree! :4: :29:
Thanks HockeyPlayer!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We have the same glare/haze problem with oncoming headlights. The glass looks clean during the day, but at night it's pretty bad. Guess I'll be going to B,B,& B to get some Hope's. Thanks for the info! :cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bon ami has worked well for me, but I was unable to locate any this week....
So I tried a look alike, Bar Keepers Friend, and it worked just as well.
The key is a watery paste.
This method also works well to remove wax build up on the windows from those automated car washers...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Hi All,
I'm going nuts with my windshield. Its got what look like little water spots all over, and I can't get them off no matter how hard I try or what I use. I've tried soap, water, vinegar, and tonight I tried Griot's Glass Cleaner. I've even tried all those things with 100% cotton towels, paper towels, and even newspaper. Nothing works. The neighbors must look at me and think I'm nuts. The spots don't seem to be on the outside and they don't seem to be on the inside either, really weird. They couldn't be in between the layers of glass, could they? As a last resort I may have to go over to my dealer to see if they can figure it out. Uuugh!

·
Registered
329 Posts
greatscot said:
Hi All,
I'm going nuts with my windshield. Its got what look like little water spots all over, and I can't get them off no matter how hard I try or what I use. I've tried soap, water, vinegar, and tonight I tried Griot's Glass Cleaner. I've even tried all those things with 100% cotton towels, paper towels, and even newspaper. Nothing works. The neighbors must look at me and think I'm nuts. The spots don't seem to be on the outside and they don't seem to be on the inside either, really weird. They couldn't be in between the layers of glass, could they? As a last resort I may have to go over to my dealer to see if they can figure it out. Uuugh!
Bon Ami and Bar Keepers Friend are both very mild abrasives so they should both do the trick. If stains are tough like on my glass top stove I use soft scrub which is a little stronger but still should be mild enough for glass. I have NEVER used any of these products on my cars windshields or windows so please use them carefully and at your own risk.;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've used Bon Ami several times before and it works pretty well. I'd suggest you try a 50/50 white vinegar/distilled water mix again. It may take several applications because it takes a while for the water spots to dissolve. Use a cotton cloth and go over the area several times keeping it wet with the solution.

I also go over my windshield with a clay bar once a year. It is good at removing any particulate matter that is stuck on but it will also help reduce spotting. It leaves your glass "glass" smooth.:)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow, thats another useful tip. I was gonna say claybar then a rubbing compound. Vinegar, never thought of it, but makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I should probably wash my MDX more often...you guys are worriied about teeny spots and I run the wipers during the day to get the worst of the bug juice off! :)

Anyway...Also try a metal cleaner on a small spot. The reason I say this is because I was polishing metal in our bar area and just for the heck of it, I tried it on the mirror where I had a myriad of dots that would NOT come off. The metal polish lifted them. It was an "ahh ha" moment. I was probably using "Concours" or something, but any brand might work.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
greatscot said:
Hi All,
Hey GreatScot - clean off your glasses!! :D:D

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
ghost said:

Hey GreatScot - clean off your glasses!! :D:D
Tried that too (never overlook the obvious)
How'd you know I wear glasses? LOL:2:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
greatscot said:

Tried that too (never overlook the obvious)
How'd you know I wear glasses? LOL:2:
Hmm, I seem to remember a picture of you sitting on some bonny cairn, although I can't find it now... Besides, everyone wears glasses!

Hey, I have a good read for you - "A Rum Affair" by Karl Sabbagh - about a mid-century botanist who 'discovered' a rare sedge in the inner Hebrides, except it turns out he planted it there. A true story of botanical intrigue...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
ghost said:

Hmm, I seem to remember a picture of you sitting on some bonny cairn, although I can't find it now... Besides, everyone wears glasses!

True, :1pat: that pic is still in the gallery!

Hey, I have a good read for you - "A Rum Affair" by Karl Sabbagh - about a mid-century botanist who 'discovered' a rare sedge in the inner Hebrides, except it turns out he planted it there. A true story of botanical intrigue...
I'll stop by Borders on the way home tonight, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I sent an order to Griot's garage that included his "Glass Polish". It is great stuff. It will clean any gunk off of your windshield without scratching it at all. Your wipers will even work more efficiently. I've used it on hard water spots on clear glass shower doors and they really do look like new.

I suspect that your crud from the parking garage ceiling is some kind of limey carbonate deposit. Acid should take it off but vinegar might be too dilute. If you're really careful and make sure you don't get any of the liquid on yourself, the paint, or any other part of the car you might carefully try muriatic acid you can get at any hardware store. Muriatic is used for cleaning bricks and stuff and is basically nothing more than hydrochloric acid! If you're worried that it would etch your glass, don't worry, they keep acid in glass bottles after all. The acid that will etch glass is hydrofluoric acid. Very nasty stuff. If you use any acid it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear protective gloves and eye protection.

As far as Bon Ami and its "hasn't scratched yet" slogan, the reason that slogan is true is that Bon Ami is basically the mineral known as "orthoclase feldspar" which is a potassium aluminum silicate. On the Moh's hardness scale which is used to measure the hardness of minerals feldspar is #6, quartz (silicon dioxide) is number 7. Ordinary window glass is about 6 1/2. Thus Bon Ami is just a bit softer than glass and won't scratch it. Quartz will scratch glass and that is how geologists/mineralogists identify quartz. By the way talc is #1 and diamond is #10 on the Moh's scale.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Finally got that crud off my windscreen, gave the X a wash with Griot's Car Wash, used a sponge, and Wall-Ah! crud is gone. Thanks for suggesting the Griot's Glass polish, it does a good job.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts