Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something dripped from the ceiling of my office parking garage onto the front windshield of my X. It looked like a "mineral deposit." Washer fluid and torrential rain did not remove it. Some of it came off from the abrasive action of a cotton towel when I washed the truck this weekend. Then (maybe bad idea) I used some solvents on it and scrubbed some more. Even tried "goof off." There remains a residue. I don't think I've damaged the glass, but also wonder if this stuff (or my cleaning efforts) have damaged the coating on the glass. Griot's Garage catalog has a rubbing compound specially for use on "uncoated" glass. Is this safe? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Try some Bon Ami. It's a glass cleaner in powder form that you mix with water -- to a runny toothpaste-like consistency (oatmeal/grits maybe).

It comes in a clorox-type container (cylinder). Hardware stores have it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
TheWorm said:
Try some Bon Ami. It's a glass cleaner in powder form that you mix with water -- to a runny toothpaste-like consistency (oatmeal/grits maybe).

It comes in a clorox-type container (cylinder). Hardware stores have it.
Worm... it seems like you always have the answer. I'll have to log this one.

wait4mdx... same thing happened to my Brothers volvo, but on the paint, hood and roof. Required dealership surgery and came out perfect, but he did have to drop some cash. Good luck with the boni ami, and that you didn't get the goo on the paint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lucked out ... it did not get on the paint. And, I know a spot that I won't park in again. I'll try the Bon-Ami -- many thanks for the advice. Can anyone tell me what "coated" glass is?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ScottyB said:
Worm... it seems like you always have the answer. I'll have to log this one.

wait4mdx... same thing happened to my Brothers volvo, but on the paint, hood and roof. Required dealership surgery and came out perfect, but he did have to drop some cash. Good luck with the boni ami, and that you didn't get the goo on the paint.
To be honest, I pick most of this stuff up here and over at ls1.com and corvetteforum.com. Some, too, on Edmunds in the Care and Maintenance forums. Usually, it's me asking the questions to fix my problem(s). :)

I used the Bon Ami for hard water spots on the glass.

wait4 -- I would guess that "coated glass" is the coating that provides UV protection or tint...that's a swag, tho.

BTW, if you have some white vinegar at home, you could try that before searching out the Bon Ami (which is abrasive). The vinegar usually gets rid of mineral deposits -- tho I'da thought the "solvents" you tried would have, too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Your sandwich, or Worm's salad dressing? Maybe I'll cook a steak on the engine block too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zaino actually makes a very good glass polishing product. It rejuvinated the glass on my 75 450SL and has rainx type properties. The abrasive is mild enough to not harm the coating, yet it cleans nicely! If it doesn't work try some cream of crab soup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2c worth:
Bon Ami would be fine for glass, just rinse well to get rid of any residue.
Vinegar for painted surface would work if the spot is fresh. But if you missed it at first, I've had good luck with rubbing in a little Turtle Wax liquid wax, as recommended by my garage manager years ago. It has fixed some fairly major spots, even after they dried out over several days. I think it must be a chemical in it, since I'm pretty sure TW is non-abrasive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bon Ami? EEEEK! It WILL scratch glass, I've done it. I'd be more apt to try a razor blade coming in at a real shallow angle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Steve:

I thought the Bon Ami label says "Hasn't scratched yet". You ought to tell them your story!!!

Personally, with all due respect to Worm, I would be hesitant using the Bon Ami. While I have used the product around the kitchen and the shop, it is mildly abrasive.

I don't use any cleaner on the windshield that I wouldn't use on the paint. Just my OHO. :)

Ed

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Try Worm's Second Solution

TheWorm said:
[B}...BTW, if you have some white vinegar at home, you could try that before searching out the Bon Ami (which is abrasive). The vinegar usually gets rid of mineral deposits -- tho I'da thought the "solvents" you tried would have, too. [/B]
You said the water spot came from a parking garage which I am guessing is concrete. Applying a acid like vinegar first might work if the stain has any lime in it. Then try ammonia if that doesn't work since its a base. If neither works go with Worm's solution number one, Bon Ami. The latter has been around since I was a wee lad so it must be a good product to survive that long.:D:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Gettin' stuff off the windshield, paint, etc requires an escalation of force insofar as abrasiveness. I wouldn't hit it w/Bon Ami first (yes, it's a mild abrasive). Do the non-destructive/abrasive stuff first (e.g. vinegar) and get progressively more aggressive.

Shoulda said that the first time around.

Since you mix the Bon Ami w/water you do have the opportunity to create the right level of abrasiveness (or not) yourself depending on how much water u use.

FWIW I used Bon Ami on ALL the glass (OUTSIDE ONLY) to remove some stubborn hard water stains without ill effect.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The vinegar worked! Thanks for all suggestions. PJG.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Glad to hear it! Too bad something that smells a little better isn't as effective :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Crest, et al.

Hey DMor!

Forgot about the toothpaste trick. I have found toothpaste to be effective on minor scratches/marks on windows and watch crystals.

Glad to hear the vinegar worked, too!

Ed

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but didn't want to start new one. My wife picked up a product for cleaning glass at, of all places, Bed,Bath,and Beyond. It is called Hope's Perfect Glass and was 4.99 for big bottle. It is ammonia free and worked wonders on my windshield. I have tried a couple products now only to have streaks and move around the crud on the windshield. It drove me nuts to have glare from other cars lights at night due to haze on windshield. This stuff worked great. My windshield glass is clearer than the day I picked up my X(big surprise).Just thought I would share a successful story.It made my day.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
That's what I love about this board, it's more than just about the X. It's a wealth of general information

1 - 20 of 34 Posts