Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up. All I seem to do is move around grime when trying to clean windshields, windows, mirrors. How to get this right? Help!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I used Windex and paper towel. Throw away paper towel often so as not to carry old dirt removed from one place to other place. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you've run your MDX through a car wash that waxes your vehicle, you will need to use something like ammonia household cleaner to get the was off of the windshield. But be careful. It will also remove any wax if you you get it on any other parts of your MDX!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nothing works like vinegar, baking soda and lukewarm water. Wipe off with newspaper, and you won't leave any streaks or lint. Clean your wiper blades with this solution, also.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pierre...I WILL surely try your

recommendation as this cleaning of glass is killing me. I spent an hour yesterday cleaning the interior glass only to see streaks this morning. Not too long ago I read in Consumer Reports the ratings of the best glass cleaners...of course, I can't find it now.

IT is 2001, you would think there should be a fast way to clean the inside and outside of windows without getting STREAKS.

Thanks, I will try the vinegar. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Here are some other ideas for commercial glass cleaners. Stoner's appears to be a fave. The Corvette people are pretty hardcore detailers...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Stoner's

soesed said:
Stoner's is what's not working for me.
Wow! Thanks for letting us know...I was thinking of ordering some based on those other comments. Not gonna now!

I know Pierre's will work well, and will also get rid of water spots on the exterior glass...but what about the vinegar stink inside? How much can you dilute it (enough to get rid of the smell) and still have it effectively clean?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Re: Re: Stoner's

TheWorm said:
I know Pierre's will work well, and will also get rid of water spots on the exterior glass...but what about the vinegar stink inside? How much can you dilute it (enough to get rid of the smell) and still have it effectively clean?
I use about 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1 tsp. of baking soda in a gallon (4.54 litres!) of lukewarm water. The vinegar smell isn't that bad, and it evaporates rather quickly after you've used it. I've used a stronger concentration of vinegar for really tough jobs, and the smell is not overpowering. Just takes a little longer to "aerate".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was told to try a product called Sparkle. I found it at the local Ace hardware. It leaves virtually no streaks, unlike Windex. It evaporates in a different manner. Give it a try. It works pretty well.

Dean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
streaking

I'm not so sure that the problem that I am having is streaking. It seems to be more one of not getting rid of the gook that's on the glass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always used a razor blade. It will scrape off all of this black tar type stuff from the inside of the windshield. I do this about once a year or so.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Is that safe to do on tinted glass?!?

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is OK on factory installed tinted glass, not the third party tint application.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's see how long this works

I have successfully (we'll see) cleaned my interior and exterior glass to my satisfaction using a "special" cleaner supplied for cleaning eyeglasses that have that special coating to prevent reflections in the lenses. I'll have to ask the optometry store what it is and how to get it as it comes in a bottle with the shop's name on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just bought some new Windex...it

has vinegar in it. Hope this helps. When I get up the energy to tackle the windows again (soon) will let all know if this new Windex with vinegar is any better than the regular stuff.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would highly recommend Stoner's Invisible glass along with a window towel (which they sell, I think) or a microfiber towel.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Windex with Vinegar

soesed said:
How's Vinegar on the paint?
Fine.

Vinegar is great for removing waterspots, or the tears from the mirrors. Wipe it off with water afterwards, tho, else it'll cloud (not permanent).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts