Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've own a '15 MDX for about 3 months now. I observed that driving in NYC gets me average of 11 mpg which is very low. But I do get 28mpg on the highway. Is this normal? Should I bring the car back to Acura?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi all,

I've own a '15 MDX for about 3 months now. I observed that driving in NYC gets me average of 11 mpg which is very low. But I do get 28mpg on the highway. Is this normal? Should I bring the car back to Acura?
You should have bought a hybrid. Or minimum auto stop/start. If you're getting 28 on the hwy,there is nothing wrong with the car. NYC is probably the worst for city driving then anywhere in the country. You bring it back to the dealer,they will probably stifle a laugh.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i assume ur using premium gas? and how 'city' is it? Is it like queens or gridlock midtown manhattan? I'm in the 5 boroughs and get about 15-17, and 28-30 on the highway going light. 22-24 combined. also depends how much of a lead foot u have. factor all those in.

But when i was on cheap gas, i got about 10mpg. cheap gas was garbage the dealer gave me when i got it, i have used premium ever since...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I get 15-17 in a PERFECT DAY with a feather foot on my 2G MDX... In NYC? I would probably struggle to get double digits.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got 16.2 mpg consistently in my 2010. I am getting 27 mpg in my hybrid but the 2010 was more of a drivers car.....gotta give some to get some I guess.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I got 16.2 mpg consistently in my 2010. I am getting 27 mpg in my hybrid but the 2010 was more of a drivers car.....gotta give some to get some I guess.
My Hybrid Advance gets 26mpg (27 hwy) in the city AND is quicker than any of the other 4 MDX's I've had. An unbelievable vehicle! I got rid of a 2016 AWD Tech just to get the Hybrid after test driving it when it was first delivered in April. And quite a bargain to boot. Just $1500 more than a comparable equipped petrol MDX. You'll save that much in gas over a 4 year period. Honda "gave away" this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My Hybrid Advance gets 26mpg (27 hwy) in the city AND is quicker than any of the other 4 MDX's I've had. An unbelievable vehicle! I got rid of a 2016 AWD Tech just to get the Hybrid after test driving it when it was first delivered in April. And quite a bargain to boot. Just $1500 more than a comparable equipped petrol MDX. You'll save that much in gas over a 4 year period. Honda "gave away" this vehicle.
$1500 not including the hit you took by trading in a 1 year old car. Also the discount was less on a hybrid.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Ya, if you compared to what you SHOULD be paying for the gas equiv (~$5k off MSRP), it's a YUUUGE difference.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
By the way. When I'm driving around town,i can get over 30mpg. That's crazy for a large SUV.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
$1500 not including the hit you took by trading in a 1 year old car. Also the discount was less on a hybrid.
Actually I had it exactly 2 years. Leased it when the '16s were released in 2015. My dealer was nice enough to give me full credit for the trade-in. Still I have no regrets. As much as I couldn't stand my '16 Tech is a much as I LOVE my Hybrid. Everything (including the brakes and the suspension) I didn't like in the '16 they improved by leaps and bounds in the Hybrid. AND I also drove the '17 petrol. Still no contest.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The hybrid might be quicker but a drivers car often means: Handling, not 0-60 times.
The hybrid obviously is the fastest MDX to 60 ever since its the MDX with the most power ever too.... but doesn't mean is the best Handling MDX ever, specially when it's known that the SH-SH-AWD system will disengage faster due to heat in high performance scenarios.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you involved in a lot of stop and go driving in the city?
Yes. Queens traffic most of the time. I'd say 90% queens traffic.

You should have bought a hybrid. Or minimum auto stop/start. If you're getting 28 on the hwy,there is nothing wrong with the car. NYC is probably the worst for city driving then anywhere in the country. You bring it back to the dealer,they will probably stifle a laugh.
That's why I want to know if it is normal before bringing it back to the dealer. I know 2nd gen MDXs get horrible mpg but thought 3rd gen would be alot better.

i assume ur using premium gas? and how 'city' is it? Is it like queens or gridlock midtown manhattan? I'm in the 5 boroughs and get about 15-17, and 28-30 on the highway going light. 22-24 combined. also depends how much of a lead foot u have. factor all those in.

But when i was on cheap gas, i got about 10mpg. cheap gas was garbage the dealer gave me when i got it, i have used premium ever since...
I'm using 87 gas. I only drive around queens and rarely on highways. I was getting around 15mpg with the dealer gas. Maybe I should go back to 91 or 93.

I get 15-17 in a PERFECT DAY with a feather foot on my 2G MDX... In NYC? I would probably struggle to get double digits.
I don't drive hard at all. I'm always in "Comfort" mode. But i do drive in stop and go traffic. If not, every junction has a stop sign. I'm surprised i got 29mpg (according to the trip computer) on my drive to Maryland.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly my thought when they announced the hybrid. $1500 more and you get a dual clutch with hybrid motor.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
To OP. there is nothing wrong with your car. I suggest at least mid grade.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The hybrid might be quicker but a drivers car often means: Handling, not 0-60 times.
The hybrid obviously is the fastest MDX to 60 ever since its the MDX with the most power ever too.... but doesn't mean is the best Handling MDX ever, specially when it's known that the SH-SH-AWD system will disengage faster due to heat in high performance scenarios.
I don't think anywhere in my post did I mention any 0-60 times. That's so Neanderthal. The Hybrid is a completely different animal than the petrol- in the areas where it counts. There are certain expressway exits where I live that have 30-40 curves that I test every vehicle I have had. The 2016 handled like a whale around those turns at 60-70mph. My 2011 handled it with ease. But the Hybrid handled it beyond belief. 75-80 with no plow or squatting. The Hybrid sports a different suspension system (than 2014-16) that makes this possible. AND the suspension rides MUCH smoother on streets and roads with imperfections than the 2016. They might look identical inside and out (except for the fender badges) but it's a completely different experience behind the wheel. But don't take my word for it, go test drive one. You WILL be amazed.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
They are not identical. The lower body panels are different. Body colored on the hybrid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts