Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized neither of my new CPO vehicle keys work. Not sure what Acura's 182 point inspection covers, but clearly they missed the keys. The dealer threw out the original books and gave me new replacements so I don't have the Key Tag either. Can Acura cut new keys from the VIN? Guess I'll have the same problem with the battery/nav codes.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Just realized neither of my new CPO vehicle keys work. Not sure what Acura's 182 point inspection covers, but clearly they missed the keys. The dealer threw out the original books and gave me new replacements so I don't have the Key Tag either. Can Acura cut new keys from the VIN? Guess I'll have the same problem with the battery/nav codes.
I have in the past but it really depends on the dealer. Some are stickers for that tag.

There is no radio code. You just hold the power button.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have in the past but it really depends on the dealer. Some are stickers for that tag.

There is no radio code. You just hold the power button.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, my wife is heading to the dealer in the morning to see what they can do. We went over this with the salesman specifically prior to buying this car after falling for a key scam with a different dealer on our Mini purchase several years ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
as long as they key lock has not been changed, yes, dealer can cut a key from the VIN number. Most dealers for any brand will require proof of ownership to cut a key. registration or title and driver license matching. Some will also have you sign a document and keep your signature along with taking a photo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as they key lock has not been changed, yes, dealer can cut a key from the VIN number. Most dealers for any brand will require proof of ownership to cut a key. registration or title and driver license matching. Some will also have you sign a document and keep your signature along with taking a photo.
Thanks, hopefully goes well tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
out of curiosity, did you need to show proof of ownership to get a key made? And if so, what did you need to show.
No, but my wife was in last weekend getting the remote start installed so they may have remembered her. The registration and CPO warranty papers were in the glove box so they might have verified while she waited in the customer lounge. Also as it turned out one key did work, but the other did not. This dealer has a separate lot for CPO Acura's and the salesman probably made the mistake. The dealer has a very good reputation. Our insurance agent told us he's been driving Acura's for years and highly recommended this dealer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, but my wife was in last weekend getting the remote start installed so they may have remembered her. The registration and CPO warranty papers were in the glove box so they might have verified while she waited in the customer lounge. Also as it turned out one key did work, but the other did not. This dealer has a separate lot for CPO Acura's and the salesman probably made the mistake. The dealer has a very good reputation. Our insurance agent told us he's been driving Acura's for years and highly recommended this dealer.
Interesting that no signature or photo ID was needed. At least around here Ford, GM, and MB dealers (at least the ones I've gone to for keys) required proof of ownership and signature they kept along with photo ID which they photocopied in order to process a new key order. But I haven't tried to get a spare key for our MDX yet so don't know what their requirements are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts