Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMHO every MDX should have an additional alarm to protect impact, glass, towing, and additional immobilization. You Can't go wrong it also adds auto-start. auto-door locks, and lets you knw if alarm went off in your absence. NEVER false triggers, and can adjust sensibility from the remote control. If no additional protection this could happen or become your baby's new home:

www.clifford.com

These are all recently stolen vehicles:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Paul,

What clifford alarm did you install in your X? Also, did you have to replace your Acura remote control with the Clifford one?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clifford Solaris

Yes I use the clifford remote which has additional features and can do all the features of the acura remote. Clifford actually gives you two remotes for the system. I had posted pic's in another thread I'll try to find to show you what they look like.

I choose to go with the Solaris which was less expensive than the Advantguard 4 system. It's basically the same system, I had to add a battery back-up siren in case battery goes dead or someone tries to disconnect it. An addition tilt sensor in case someone tries to tow. And an additional shock/impact sensor which is cool if someone touches car to hard or even opens a door against it, the alarm gives a warning chirp to go away. The Solaris was about $600 with the extra's, the advantguard 4 is close to $1000 and has alot of additional features that I think are not necessary. There's even a device in case you get jacked, you give the SUV to the thief and then hit a transmitter than will shut down the SUV in about 1 mile= pretty cool. It also gives you standard features like auto start, auto door locks, short stop feature and more. The short stop feature is amazing, you can stop at local 7-11 take key out of ignition while it's running activate the alarm while running which locks doors, then return and disable alarm get in car put key in ignition and go all with out shutting the car off. That one of the best features. check it out at the website:

www.clifford.com

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found Pic of Remotes

This is the one I use on a daily basis. It can be programmed to adjust the seats on the touring model if you have two drivers. The range is almost double the factory alarm. It has an advanced code hopping system so a scanner cannot pick up the transmission code.

You can also if you choose to open windows or even the sunroof when disarming and lock all windows when arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Master remote

This one can adjust sensitivity of sensors, change the tone on the alarm and many other programming feature. Like if you park near a noisy area you can shut down impact or glass sensors or just reduce the sensitivity. The system also connect to a laptop to acess the entire system. DEI just bought clifford and is going to incorporate alot of there features into their product line. Clifford had patents on all of this technology, that why they almost have a monoply on this advanced system. It blows away lo-jack, until lo-jack starts using satellite technology.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paul,

Thanks. When I bought my X, I was thinking of installing a better alarm system like Clifford. My Acura salesman told me that if I had the navigation system, the police can track my car similar to a lowjack system. Hearing his story, I backed off buying the alarm. But after seeing your pictures, it has renew my interest in a better alarm system.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lo-jack

Lo-jack is only good if the police car is within a certain range of your stolen vehicle. In the city area's it has a high recovery, but in the suburbs the recovery is very low. After speaking with the New York City Police Officer he told me the recovery rate on Long Island and up state is lower than 25%, but in NYC they recover much more because it is a smaller area. Most thieves take the cars out of the city for these reasons or into underground garages. The simple answer is that lo-jack should be satellite based then you could tract the car anywhere. I've been in touch with them for the last year and they said they were working on it, but no luck yet. Once that satellite system is up I would definetly get it. But remember that lo-jack doesn't stop them from stealing the vehicle and beating it up. IMHO once it has been beaten up I would rather not get the vehicle back. That's why an important alarm that will stop the actual crime is more important to me. With the clifford system almost all criminals will pass on the clifford and go for the less expensive easier system to break into. I did alot of research on this system before buying. This is the second car I have it on and it's amazing never false triggers like many of the other systems do. Ask around I'm sure you'll here the same as what I'm saying. Be careful asking installers because they tend to hate installing clifford because it is much more difficult to install than say a viper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mdxrocks said:
Paul,

Thanks. When I bought my X, I was thinking of installing a better alarm system like Clifford. My Acura salesman told me that if I had the navigation system, the police can track my car similar to a lowjack system. Hearing his story, I backed off buying the alarm. But after seeing your pictures, it has renew my interest in a better alarm system.
I do not think our MDX navigation can SEND signal out. The only way a police or anyone else can track is if the navigation system sends out a signal telling a tracking system where it is. Right now, the only thing the nav system does is recieves signal from the satellite, triangulate, decodes and puts an image on the display.

So, whoever told you about the nav being a tracking system like Lojack - well, they were either lying to you or have no idea what they are selling...

Mike

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
megabuck2 is correct

The MDX navi does NOT sent out a signal that can be tracked.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ARMING BOTH SYSTEMS WITH CLIFFORD

I JUST FOUND OUT THEY CAN HOOK UP THE CLIFFORD SO THAT IT ARMS BOTH SYSTEMS AND DISARMS BOTH SYSTEMS. AT FIRST WHEN I HAD IT INSTALLED THE CLIFFORD WOULD ONLY ARM ITSELF, I WOULD HAVE TO LOCK THE DRIVERS DOOR WHICH IN TURN WOULD MANUALLY ENGAGE THE FACTORY ALARM. THEN HIT THE CLIFFORD REMOTE TO ARM THE CLIFFORD SYSTEM. WHEN RETURNING TO CAR I WAS ABLE TO DISARM BOTH SYSTEMS WITH THE CLIFFORD REMOTE. JUST SPOKE WITH DORECTED TODAY AND THEY NOW HAVE A WAY TO ARM BOTH WITH CLIFFORD REMOTE AND STILL DISARM BOTH WITH CLIFFORD REMOTE. i LOVE THE RANGE OF THE CLIFFORD REMOTE. THE SHORT STOP FEATURE IS ALSO GREAT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How? You piqued our interest. I'm going to install an AvantGuard real soon and would like to know what to tell the installers. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TELL THE INSTALLERS

JUST TELL THEM THAT YOU WANT THE FACTORY ALARM TO ALSO WORK IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE CLIFFORD. TELL THEM YOU WANT THE STOCK RED LIGHT ALARM TO ARM WITH THE CLIFFORD ALARM. SOME INSTALLERS THINK YOU ONLY WANT THE CLIFFORD TO PROTECT WHICH IN REALITY IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED. I SPOKE WITH DIRECTED TODAY AND THE TECH ASKED ME THE SAME QUESTION WHY WOULD I EVEN WANT THE STOCK BECAUSE THE CLIFFORD IS FAR MORE ADVANCED. I THEN TOLD HIM THAT THE STOCK ALARM HAS A RED FLASHING LIGHT ON THE DOOR WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO ACTIVATE WITH THE CLIFORD FLASHING LIGHT. I PERSONALLY LIKE TO HAVE BOTH LIGHTS. IF THE INSTALLER HAS ANY QUESTION THERE IS A SPECIAL TECH LINE FOR AUTHORIZED INSTALLERS WHERE THEY CAN DIRECT HIM TO INSTALL HOWEVER YOU LIKE. THERE ARE SO MANY VARIATIONS YOU COULD DO. YOU COULD HAVE THE CLIFFORD LIGHT PUT WHERE THE STOCK ALARM LIGHT IS. THEN YOU WOULD HAVE ONLY THE CLIFFORD LIGHT AND WOULDN'T HAVE TO DRILL A HOLE FOR ANOTHER SMALL LIGHT. I LIKE THE IDEA OF BOTH I FIGURE TWO ALARMS ARE BETTER THAN ONE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had a Clifford alarm on a 99 BMW and they used the BMW light (hangs below the review mirror) as the alarm light (no clifford LED used), however I don't remember if the Clifford remote armed/dearmed both systems - I don't think it did. Where did you put your Clifford valet switch and the LED?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I PUT BOTH THE LIGHT AND VALET SWITCH TO THE RIGHT OF FOGLIGHT AND SUNROOF SWITCHES. I'M SURE YOU KNOW THE VALET CAN GO ANYWHERE YOU DON'T HAVE TO HIDE BECAUSE YOU HAVE A PERSONAL CODE TO ACTIVATE. I COULD OF GOT A LITTLE MORE CREATIVE WITH THE LIGHT LIKE THE WOOD AREA BETWEEN THE HEATED SEAT SWITCHES OR EVEN IN WOOD NEXT TO THE RADIO OR NAV, BUT WENT FOR THIS.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts