Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group, I am amazed at the stories I have read about the lenght of time that many of you have waited or are waiting for your MDXs. 3 months, 6 months, 8 months or even switching to another waiting list for next year's model. What's the wait for a new Ferrari these days? Anyway, when I first went to an Acura dealer I heard the 2 to 6 month story, which nearly frightened me away. The uncertainty and vagueness about the the lenght of the wait really bothered me. I needed a new "truck" sooner rather than later. (How many years before you can get a 2003?) Wanting a MDX and not certain that I could live with an unspecified delivery date for a 2002 vehicle (late in its model year), I came up with a plan that worked for me.

Deposit to garage in 3 weeks with a Mesa Biege Base Navi. Here's how:

1. Stop by your local Infinity dealer (where you will see 15 QX4s on the lot) and pick up the QX4 brochure and an unsolicited price quote for a fairly maxed QX4 for $34,000.

2 Proceed immmediately to Acura dealer with QX4 brochure in hand
appearing to be knowledgable in the SUV area.

3. Quickly make friends with the senior saleperson (figure out who this is ahead of time) and appear to be shocked as he describes at the waiting list concept for the MDX. Ask salesman if he has driven the BMW X5 and tell him you're into road racing (not NASCAR). Ask if Acura provides a discount if you pay cash.

4. Ask to test drive the one and only MDX that is on the lot. Critical question, can you live with this model? If the answer is no, proceed the next closest Acura dealer and start over at Step 2. If the answer is YES, move on to Step 5.

5. Quickly check the mileage on this vehicle, if less than 500 miles you are in business. Leave dealership.

6. Return 2 days later and test drive again, make friends with other salesmen and manager.

7 Return 1 to 2 days later, test drive again this time with kids or other people that live in your house. (By now your scent is on the vehicle, this is your MDX.)

8. Complain about unspecificed wait period with your salesman friend by phone the next day. Ask whether an extended warranty can be purchased.

9. Return to dealership shortly thereafter and say these magic words. "Later for this waiting list, sell me THAT MDX sitting outside!"

10. Salesman will go to the manager (who is also your friend) and will return and say "OKAY, but you have to wait for our next MDX 'tester' to arrive" at the dealership. The dealers know when their vehicles are coming and will tell you at this point.

11. Shake hands and drop a $1000 deposit and a round of golf on your friend.

12 Strike a deal, like a dollar per mile off the sticker of YOUR MDX at the time this new tester arrives. This provides an incentive to stop serial test drivers (like me) from being permited to drive your vehicle. More importantly, it provides an incentive to make sure the dealer doesn't allow its new tester to get diverted and puts you ahead of the legions that waiting for a new one from Canada. As you make your deal, you may, for the first and last time refer to your MDX as "used."

13 Drop by and visit YOUR MDX ocassionally, thereby cementing the moral obligation made by the dealer to let you take your MDX home as soon as possible. Jokingly get them to drop the Destination Charge on your 'new' vehicle with less than 1000 miles, on the theory that the vehicle is already here...................

14. Wait for the magic call within a few weeks and hear these words, "our new MDX is here and being preped, you can come pick up YOUR MDX tomorrow." Ask for current mileage and pretend that you this call is no big deal, as you pump your fist in the air.

15. Finally, ask for the MDX "ES" model when you go to pick it up. That's Extra Sh*t, and see if you can pick a few complimentary extras from your new Acura family.

Happy hunting and best wishes to all in the market for a new MDX. Have fun. The results, however long the wait, will be well worth it. Finally, congrats to the all the rest of you who have successfully navigated the market.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If only it was so easy. Around here there are dealerships that don't even have one to test drive. I believe we test drove one that just came in and was being prepped for someone else. If they do have a test vehicle, it is already spoken for and they won't sell it, even for more than MSRP (I tried for one of the last GG Bases available that I test drove). Also it is hard to get the dealers to call you back. Talk about playing hard to get. The dealer nearest our house didn't return two calls and when my wife stopped in to get a price from the Sales Manager, she was given a price higher than other dealers in the area. This was after our neighbor, who is a Regional Service Manager for Acura, put in a good word for us. Ended up buying our X in New York (100 miles away). Took 6 weeks and paid MSRP, no forced extras. That was the best around here.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
case1906 said:
13 Drop by and visit YOUR MDX ocassionally, thereby cementing the moral obligation made by the dealer
You must be new - otherwise you would know that most Acura dealers have no morals.:D :D Seriously, glad that worked for you but many dealers don't have a vehicle to test and/or they don't let people test drive vehicles that are already sold. I was happy that I didn't have to worry that my MDX would be driven by someone else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's a great plan...but i had to schedule a test drive with a two week waiting list! Needless to say the X demo had well over 10K on it and rattled like crazy, it was trashed. I hear its become easier now though at least to test drive anyway.
P.S. we waited almost 8 months for a new one. (originally told six months, and one day i just said to the sales guy 'you know what...we just cant wait anymore i need a SUV'. The next day he called with a build date of that Friday hmmmmmm)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts