• Bush - love him

Votes: 63 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
The mods will be watching this thread. All will keep personal attacks out of this thread.:mad:

·
Registered
355 Posts
It all depends what group of people you talk to.

My question is what is the alternative? Howard Dean? Please. We may as well give the country to the terrorists...as well as our wallets (to the government).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:
Most Americans I talk to think he is a big jerk.
Virtually every poll is close to 50-50; as is the case in most elections these days. Most, I don't think so>

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
hhwc said:
My question is what is the alternative? Howard Dean? Please. We may as well give the country to the terrorists...as well as our wallets (to the government).
Totally agree, I think #41 (George H) was a better prepared and hence more experienced President, but timing and luck were not on his side. Give George W some time, 2+ years is not enough to start penning his legacy. As long as Dad is available to be his 'consigliere', I think the nation is in good hands . . . IMHO in 4 years we will be singing his praises - I am not prepared to hand the reins of our nation over to Hilary, Lieberman or another flavor of the month democrat that the media wants to hype . . .

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
socalJD said:

Totally agree, I think #41 (George H) was a better prepared and hence more experienced President, but timing and luck were not on his side. Give George W some time, 2+ years is not enough to start penning his legacy. As long as Dad is available to be his 'consigliere', I think the nation is in good hands . . . IMHO in 4 years we will be singing his praises - I am not prepared to hand the reins of our nation over to Hilary, Lieberman or another flavor of the month democrat that the media wants to hype . . .
Good point, timing and luck were not on his side, he's had alot on his plate right from day one..... 9/11, economy, job creation, Corporate bankruptcies, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Originally posted by socalJD:

As long as Dad is available to be his 'consigliere'...
consigliere (kon´sê-lyè´rè) noun
plural consiglieri (-rê)
An adviser or counselor, especially to a capo or leader of an organized crime syndicate.

Perhaps referring to G.W. Bush as the leader of an organized crime syndicate is just a bit harsh. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. . .

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
socalJD said:

Ditto !
We live in troubled times, and we are not in the age of Statesmen.
However, as you say, in a few years we may look back and say he (Bush) was the right person for the time. Even Churchill wasn't given his due until well after his service.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
He does wonders for the bond market which in turn makes me money with the low interest rates on mortgages!!

:2: :4: :18: :20: :22: :29: :claphead:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
No, but there have been duller or less sober ones in the last 150 years or so.
When the president is not that sharp, then maybe it is even more critical who the advisors are operating behind the scenes.
Problem is, the president takes the gaff of any decisions made (extra-ciricuclar activities not-withstanding for the sake of this topic).
On bad decisions, it is still his fault for agreeing with his advisor(s).
Which is often why some will be 'thrown out".
Not because of what they might do, but what they may have done already. It was easier to tell they screwed up in the olden days, the king would just behead them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pauls MDX said:
He does wonders for the bond market which in turn makes me money with the low interest rates on mortgages!!

:2: :4: :18: :20: :22: :29: :claphead:
Well, don't look now, but record deficits seem to be taking interest rates higher. It would be nice to keep the 1950s' interest rates without some of their attitudes. :25:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
G.W. may have been a great Governor of Texas - I don't really know - but he appears to be in over his head as a President. He and most of his advisors don't seem to have a clue regarding diplomacy with respect to US allies. Now he wants to go back to the UN - after having insinuated that it's basically a useless organization - to garner international military help for US efforts in Iraq. It seems that the President has recently experienced an epiphany - the realization that the US needs the UN as much as anyone.

President G.W. Bush and his advisors figured that the UN was too incompetent to find the "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq. It turns out that the US can't find them either - apparently because they were already destroyed way back in 1991. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
DaleB said:
. . . It was easier to tell they screwed up in the olden days, the king would just behead them.
If I recall my history correctly, there were a few kings that lost their heads as well :4:

·
Registered
452 Posts
The phrase that comes to my mind is: "It's the economy, stupid!".
History repeats itself...you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 345 Posts