Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the new Yokohama
Geolandar HT-S in the 235/65-17 size (same as stock).

Anyone have opinions? It has a mileage warranty of 60,000 miles. ..and a UTQG rating of 460AA.

I'm tired of getting 25-28k on these Cross terrains (pun intended)

Ard

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Ardvarkus:

___The OEM Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV 235/65-17 103T has a UTQG rating of 420 AB itself. A 460 AA rated tire is only going to get you another 5,000 – 10,000 miles at best given similar driving habits and conditions … 25 – 30K on a set of Cross Terrains? That’s practically half of what they are rated for. Are you possibly running your Cross Terrains under or over inflated? I have always run a tire to ~ its mileage limits +/- 5000 miles before the belts start to go and I would be very surprised if the Cross-Terrains would be any different.

___As another option, the 235/65-17 GoodYear Integrity’s (OEM for the Base X) are rated at 460 AB and are very reasonably priced (< ½ the Cross Terrains) although the customer reviews over at Tirerack.com might make you think twice … On the Corolla, they perform great.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
ardvarkus said:
I was looking at the new Yokohama
Geolandar HT-S in the 235/65-17 size (same as stock).
Anyone have opinions? Ard
Yes :16: I had Yokohamas on a minivan some time ago, and they were the worst tire I've had experience with. They always needed replacement as they never would wear properly. Would not purchase them again, but that's only my experience. I say stick with the Michelin's.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne-

See, the cross terrain might be "rated" at 40 or 50K but there is NO mileage warranty. If you get half the "rated" mileage, all you get is a "gee" from the tire store.

The Geolander HAS a mileage WARRANTY- if they only go 30k, then you get a 50% credit on replacements!

If a tire has a MILEAGE warranty, then I don't really care what actual mileage I'll get, nor if they are too soft.... you're actually just leasing rubber in a sense.

I'm pretty particular with tire pressures- tread wear is nice and uniform- definitely not under inflated... just rough roads here (not city driving!) I'd say we are turning 50% of the time (curves) and the surface is asphalt/chipseal gravel...

I'd not consider the GY integrity for the reasons you cite. The geolander (in other versions) has gotten good comments.

Gscot-

Did you have geolander ht-s on the minivan? ....or just some Yokohama tire?

Yokohama makes perhaps one hudred different model tires....I would venture the opinion that you just can't make a decision on any one brand on the basis of one model- and that applies to any manufacturer.

In fact, I am running a some Yoko AVS dBs in a 255/50VR17 on my Q45 and they are absolutely awesome. Better than the Michelin XGTVs I was buying at 20k miles per set.

I actually think Yok is targeting the MDX with this model- has the same target performace specs as the cross-terrain...plus they have a better load rating (108 versus 103 or 2205lbs versus 1929lbs) so a bit stiffer sidewall. Based on spec sheets, the tread width might be a tad wider (9.4" v 9.0 on the Mich) and the diameter is within 2% (726 for the mich v 714)

Really, there is not much in a refined all season/SUV tire in this size....Maybe I'll be a guinea pig for you guys!

Ard

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
ardvarkus said:
Gscot-
Did you have geolander ht-s on the minivan? ....or just some Yokohama tire?
Ard
Hi Ard,
yes you're probably right, the Yucko's I had were not the same as the Geolanders. However, once burned (badly in my case) I would not endorse that brand. The way I see it, its like going to a store or Restuarant and getting bad service. I work way too hard and spend a lot of long hours at work to spend my money in places, or on products, to be treated badly.
Another example of my bias in this regard I already posted on another thread, and that's Best Buy, or as I like to call them, Wurst Buy. Yes I am probably missing out on a few things in life, but it helps me keep my sanity (even though some have said/thought otherwise.) Thank goodness Algore invented the internet, I can shop there :2:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, I had factory-installed Yokohama Geolandar H/T - G031 on my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. After driving the SUV for about 10K miles with normal tire pressure levels, they were close to 50% gone. In general, these tires were not good in rainy weather, very slippery and would telegraph every bump on the road.

So I got rid of Geolandars and bought Michelin CrossTerrains. I drove already 26K miles on them and they are still in a great shape. Much better in snow, rain. Much softer ride and handling, MUCH better when taking corners. In my experience, there is no comparison with Geolandars.

This said, Geolandar H/T-S is a newer tire and so far it has great ratings from users, actually better than CrossTerrrains. But again, these are new tires and statistically speaking, 2 reviews don't tell me anything.

However, CrossTerrains have the best "Thread Wear Rating" among all SUV tires.

Here is comparison from Tirerack:

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H/T-S&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=67SR6GEOHTSOWL

Michelin CrossTerrain
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Cross+Terrain+SUV&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=67SR6CTSUV

·
Registered
595 Posts
For mine cross terrans..

I paid 22 bucks for each to buy insurance at American Tires Co.

So that if it ever wear out before the millage they said it could go, I'll get a replacement set no charge. Also I get free rotations, and free fix to nails, and free tire checks.

Get the tire from Tim, it's so much cheaper..
and then get the insurance with American Tires Co. So it's all worry free.

:2: :4:

·
Registered
443 Posts
That is a great advice. I got mine from Costco REALLY cheap.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies....

Dale- This is my wifes' ride, and she a slow to medium driver. But yes, speed is a very significant factor in tire wear.

TYP- Are you sure?! The only warranty they claim to sell is a 'certificate for free replacement' http://www.americastire.com/dtc/brochure/info/certificate.jsp

I'd never heard of any company SELLING a mileage warranty- good news if true. What is the rated mileage on your cross terrains??? You might want to verify that, and let us know!

Desant- Yep, saw the reviews... not much in the way of numbers yet, (hard to make a judgement on "tire life" with only 49k miles spead among 4 owners!)

They do have a 30 day 'try them and return if unsatisfied'...

I've got 3k to decide (6 weeks)....

Ard

·
Registered
550 Posts
Holy cow! Michelin CT getting only 25K miles?!! That is as bad as the mud-terrain tires (which are the worst)! I am expecting at least 50K from my all-terrains (2nd worst). Michelin LTX M/S usually gives people around 60-80K...at least!

I always thought those CT's are high mileage tires.

The Yoko Geolanders (H/T, not H/T-S) come standard on many SUVs, like on Mitsubishi Montero and Mercedes G500. Many Mitsu owners do NOT like the Geolanders that came from factory.

Interesting.

·
Registered
443 Posts
m2pc, if I remember right, I paid $550 for all 4 tires installed, ballanced, including 7% GA tax (at the time I lived in Atlanta). This also includes road hazard insurance and free tire rotations for life of tires.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Desant said:
m2pc, if I remember right, I paid $550 for all 4 tires installed, ballanced, including 7% GA tax (at the time I lived in Atlanta). This also includes road hazard insurance and free tire rotations for life of tires.
That is a good price :4:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ardvarkus said:
Thanks for the replies....

Dale- This is my wifes' ride, and she a slow to medium driver. But yes, speed is a very significant factor in tire wear.

I should have added hard acceleration, braking, and cornering. I am sure the weight of the vehcile is a factor too for those of us trying to compare typical tire life with a sedan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Goodyear Fortera HL tires

Has anyone looked at the Goodyear Fortera HL tires? They are rated very similarly to the Cross Terrains and cost is about $118. Reviews have been very good especially in snow.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We have 33K miles on our OEM Cross Terrains and they are still going strong - they should easily go another 10-15K:1:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
ardvarkus said:
The Geolander HAS a mileage WARRANTY- if they only go 30k, then you get a 50% credit on replacements!

If a tire has a MILEAGE warranty, then I don't really care what actual mileage I'll get, nor if they are too soft.... you're actually just leasing rubber in a sense.
I do care what mileage I get even with a warranty because as you stated the warranty is only valid WHEN you trade-in for replacements. Obviously they want you to stick with them even if the tires are no good! A tire that wears for half (or less than half) the rating is not necessarily a good deal. I'd rather not be "forced" (as per a warranty) to stick with a tire that in the past did not serve me well. The trade-in is of course pro-rated and is not alway linear (i.e. half life = 50% price - I'd check the warranty language; they usually involve a range) and is usually taken off a stores "regular" price.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
msu79gt82 said:

I do care what mileage I get even with a warranty because as you stated the warranty is only valid WHEN you trade-in for replacements. Obviously they want you to stick with them even if the tires are no good! A tire that wears for half (or less than half) the rating is not necessarily a good deal. I'd rather not be "forced" (as per a warranty) to stick with a tire that in the past did not serve me well. The trade-in is of course pro-rated and is not alway linear (i.e. half life = 50% price - I'd check the warranty language; they usually involve a range) and is usually taken off a stores "regular" price.
Well, of course!:D

Who'd want to drive on crappy tires for any distance?

I guess the unspoken assumption is, all things being (somewhat) equal I'd prefer a tire with a mileage warranty.

Also, in my past I've not been forced to buy the same tire- just get a credit of a % of the original purchase price towards the new rubber.

Still curious if TYP really found a mileage warranty for the cross terrains...

Ard

1 - 20 of 24 Posts