Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cross-shopping between the X5 3.0 and MDX. I believe both vehicles are in hot demand or maybe the MDX is hotter because no one would discount below MSRP (plus they add forced options). Yesterday, I called South Coast+ Downey Acura, they won't sell unless they add $1500 worth of accessories. Guess what, they tell me that they don't make enough profit out of MSRP pricing. On the good side, Cerritos Acura add about $200 of options.
BMW on the other hand would discount (minus $1000+ off MSRP), without asking on the cars coming in.
What is the problem with Acura dealers and especially Honda HQ.
I like the MDX, but very turned off by the Acura representation. I like to believe that Acura is a " luxury" company, but no comparison to Lexus nor Mercedes.

Simply venting out my frustration. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Not necessarily greedier...

It seems that they are just "poorly supervised".

Like all car companies, Acura does make some efforts to gauge "customer satisfaction" but in many ways their efforts are half-hearted.

There are lots of small examples of things that SOME Acura dealers (e.g. the "pens" thread) that show the range of excellent to crappy customer sat.

My impression is that Lexus has ALWAYS had a staff of people whose job it is to INCULCATE a sense of superior service among the dealers. I know many brands have taken to 'video training' and other methods of making the buyinbg experinence as good as possible,

Even companies like Buick make a helluva effort to get many/most dealers in line with treating customers well. ( Somehow I think their, uh, 'limited' range of product offerings also means they are afraid of scaring off any buyers...) I know the VW dealers were putting on the BS when the New Beetle was hot, as were the Chrylser stores for the 10 seconds that the PT was in demand...

The relatively small number of Acura dealers, the demand for products like the MDX, TL-S and RSX & their fairly small sales volume has made it harder to justify a HUGE program to "get everybody on the same page".

We are 'blessed' with 9 Acura dealers in metro Chicago, so at least they compete with one another. I know that it is somewhat more diffcult to get from dealer-to-dealer in SoCal, which may explain why they adopt a "take it or leave it" 'tude.

Personally, I would be "LEAVING IT". If more folks did the same the dealers would have to shape-up. As long as Californians continue to spend so easily there will be little incentive for dealers to be recepitive to negotiation...

There is one thread mentioning a a (SD?) dealer who seemed to have a lot full of MDXs, and was PREVIOUSLY inflexible...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess from the customer survey all but Saturn dealers are receptive to customers needs. Lexus fell from 1st to 3rd, no mention of Acura and article clearly stated that Mercerdes is not in the top 20.

Funny thing about dealerships...they may have nine scattered around the city but may be owned by one "group" or a person.

So the competition isn't among the dealers but among the salespersons.

I overheard conversation among sales people over at Concord Acura and lo and behold, Acura of Concord is owned by the same person(s) as Acura of Pleasanton.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rogster said:
I have been cross-shopping between the X5 3.0 and MDX. I believe both vehicles are in hot demand or maybe the MDX is hotter because no one would discount below MSRP (plus they add forced options). Yesterday, I called South Coast+ Downey Acura, they won't sell unless they add $1500 worth of accessories. Guess what, they tell me that they don't make enough profit out of MSRP pricing. On the good side, Cerritos Acura add about $200 of options.
BMW on the other hand would discount (minus $1000+ off MSRP), without asking on the cars coming in.
What is the problem with Acura dealers and especially Honda HQ.
I like the MDX, but very turned off by the Acura representation. I like to believe that Acura is a " luxury" company, but no comparison to Lexus nor Mercedes.

Simply venting out my frustration. Thanks for listening.
When I checked out X5, there are more than 10 in the lot vs 1 demo MDX. I like X5 too being that it is a BMW (my wife loves BMW) and it was discounted. But we (my wife again) must have a 3rd row seat (nope, we just have a small family with a 2 year old). So we end up getting the X even with no discount, long wait, poorer dealer treatment. Another thing, however bad the dealer is, I would still get the X regardless. You deal with the dealer once but you will be with deal with your car for years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is pretty much the direction I'm heading to. I like the X5 for the driving experience and the MDX for the versatility and price.

How do you like the HB ? I like that color too but afraid I'm going to be tired looking at something so "bright".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rogster said:
That is pretty much the direction I'm heading to. I like the X5 for the driving experience and the MDX for the versatility and price.

How do you like the HB ? I like that color too but afraid I'm going to be tired looking at something so "bright".
I don't really care about color unlike my wife but I like it very much. Our next choice is white but we already had a white Maxima. So we placed an order for a HB last November. And we didn't get it until June! :23: I wish I never had a white car so I would have had a white X much much sooner.

But in the end, we love the HB.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had similar problems when we were looking for our X. I couldn't find the color we wanted (Granite Green) here in AZ because it was discontinued. I eventually managed to find one in Texas. But, I had emailed or spoken with nearly every dealer in SoCal, and some in Central and NoCal. Interestingly, the ones who appeared to try gouging the worst were in Orange County. Good luck with searching - there are better dealers if you look around a bit. Try the dealer in Palm Desert - DaleB had a good experience with them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i really think it is dependent upon the dealership rather than the make.

my bmw dealership isn't very good. if you had bought a car there, you get a bmw loaner when available. if you didn't but it there, you're out of luck. attitude and service is so-so; (but they were extra nice when i was buying :eek: )

my acura dealer was great. even though i didn't buy the car there, they still gave me a loaner when necessary (enterprise rental), free wash, valet service and just being extra nice to me. another acura dealer that was closer to me was terrible.

we ended up getting the 325xi wagon instead of the x5 b/c the x5 wasn't significantly bigger. it felt like a 3 raised up a little. well, at least that was our impression. and it's realiability seems a bit poor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Young,
I think it is dependent but not on the dealership per se. I believe it has to do more with "human" factor. I guess the dealership can preach customer service all day long but if the people (salespeople" don't follow the preach, it makes the dealership look very bad.

Although I suppose dealership has alot of control as to who they hire and fire but if the rude salesperson increase the sales, I am sure they will close their eyes and let him/her go on with her usual ways.

Hard thing about a popular items like the MDX is that even if the sale person is assinine, we don't have a choice, we buy and dealership wouldn't care less how the sales was made.

i was actually "tossed" from a dealership because Idid not want their mandatory option ($4K - wood steering wheel, wood dash, wheel lock, etc).
His words were, all of our customers love the option and if you don't like it, you need to shop somewhere else.

Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't say "greedy" as much as "needy". Acura is just not that popular of a luxury brand overall and they are forced to discount most all of their other models. So when the MDX comes along and they have a chance to force some bucks out of it they do. I agree it makes them look terrible. OTOH, Lexus has a much higher profit margin than Acura so their dealers don't feel the need to gouge over MSRP (Lexus Inc. wouldn't stand for it either) and at the same time they retain the goodwill and good image. Probably a better business strategy for a luxury line...

Of course, based on what I've seen and the attitude of the Acura dealers overall I think they would gouge no matter how much the Vehicle cost if they could get away with it... That's REALLY a turnoff and I think it's one reason people go elsewhere. This kind of thing has had a tendency to soil the Acura brand as a whole in my opinion. At least it has for me. The only saving grace is that they are no more "greedy" than most of the other Non Luxury brands. Unfortunately, from an "image" standpoint, they are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to luxury brands and I think the far too often poor service and gouging is a big part of that.

I'd like to see both Honda and Acura get their act together in terms of production and controlling their dealers. I am hearing now that the Honda dealers are trying to get 4k over MSRP for the Pilots! And guess what? Availability still sucks. What a surprise eh? I think the buying public is going to put up with this nonsense so many times before they say "to heck with you, I'm out of here". I'm personally disgusted by it and feel that if I'm in the luxury car segment that I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. Just charge me more for it to begin with and make enough to fill the friggin' need. Don't try and "save me money" by posting a low MSRP and then allow your dealer to mark up the price to the moon because you can't build enough of them to satisfy demand. That speaks to me of a company that either hasn't got enough capital to run correctly or is simply disorganized. Either way, it doesn't look good to the type of consumer that shops for vehicles in this price range...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
bareyb said:
I wouldn't say "greedy" as much as "needy". Acura is just not that popular of a luxury brand overall and they are forced to discount most all of their other models. So when the MDX comes along and they have a chance to force some bucks out of it they do. I agree it makes them look terrible. OTOH, Lexus has a much higher profit margin than Acura so their dealers don't feel the need to gouge over MSRP (Lexus Inc. wouldn't stand for it either) and at the same time they retain the goodwill and good image. Probably a better business strategy for a luxury line...

Of course, based on what I've seen and the attitude of the Acura dealers overall I think they would gouge no matter how much the Vehicle cost if they could get away with it... That's REALLY a turnoff and I think it's one reason people go elsewhere. This kind of thing has had a tendency to soil the Acura brand as a whole in my opinion. At least it has for me. The only saving grace is that they are no more "greedy" than most of the other Non Luxury brands. Unfortunately, from an "image" standpoint, they are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to luxury brands and I think the far too often poor service and gouging is a big part of that.

I'd like to see both Honda and Acura get their act together in terms of production and controlling their dealers. I am hearing now that the Honda dealers are trying to get 4k over MSRP for the Pilots! And guess what? Availability still sucks. What a surprise eh? I think the buying public is going to put up with this nonsense so many times before they say "to heck with you, I'm out of here". I'm personally disgusted by it and feel that if I'm in the luxury car segment that I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. Just charge me more for it to begin with and make enough to fill the friggin' need. Don't try and "save me money" by posting a low MSRP and then allow your dealer to mark up the price to the moon because you can't build enough of them to satisfy demand. That speaks to me of a company that either hasn't got enough capital to run correctly or is simply disorganized. Either way, it doesn't look good to the type of consumer that shops for vehicles in this price range...
Acura Salespeople need to take a course on Customer Service from the Lexus,Mercedes, and Jaguar people. Acura people are just the top producers from the Honda line. You can expect a Honda level person to have the knowledge of a Luxury Car Salesperson. Also Acura has to step up the standards on the Acura Dealerships. Ultimately they have the final word. Acura does have a great product with a great price, that's the only way they are getting away with it. Any knowledgable customer can see there product is superior and presently underpriced by the manufacturer, giving the dealer to much freedom on the pricing of the vehicle.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts