Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHEN STARTING FROM A STOP,MY X DOESN'T SHIFT INTO 2ND GEAR UNTIL 3500-4000 RPMS. WHEN IT FINALLY DOES, THERE IS A NOTICEABLE VIBRATION ON THE STEERING WHEEL, AND IT IS AUDIBLE,I HAVE DRIVEN MY FRIENDS X ,ALSO 2003 TOURING, 1500MILES AND ALL OF THE SHIFTS ARE NICE AND SMOOTH. WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER, SERVICE DEPT. SAID THER WAS NOTHING WRONG AND THAT THE RPM RANGE WAS NORMAL. AS WELL AS THE VIBRATION I FEEL. SHOULD I TRY ANOTHER DEALER?
I JUST THINK FOR $595 A MONTH I SHOULDN'T BE FEELING ANYTHING.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
CRSSTBL said:
WHEN STARTING FROM A STOP,MY X DOESN'T SHIFT INTO 2ND GEAR UNTIL 3500-4000 RPMS. WHEN IT FINALLY DOES, THERE IS A NOTICEABLE VIBRATION ON THE STEERING WHEEL, AND IT IS AUDIBLE,I HAVE DRIVEN MY FRIENDS X ,ALSO 2003 TOURING, 1500MILES AND ALL OF THE SHIFTS ARE NICE AND SMOOTH. WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER, SERVICE DEPT. SAID THER WAS NOTHING WRONG AND THAT THE RPM RANGE WAS NORMAL. AS WELL AS THE VIBRATION I FEEL. SHOULD I TRY ANOTHER DEALER?
I JUST THINK FOR $595 A MONTH I SHOULDN'T BE FEELING ANYTHING.
It does not sound right. Do some searches on here about a couple of similar problems. Insist the dealer provide an experienced tech to drive it with you in the car.
For $595, you should not be feeling nothing, you should be feeling something good! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
There are a couple of other threads about the higher 1-2 shift point on the 03'. Acura has re-mapped the 1-2 shift point on the 03'. Mine shifts around 3300 RPM even if I baby it off the line. The 1-2 shift is still very smooth so it does not bother me one bit. As far as the vibration in the steering wheel I would not assume that it is normal. Mine shifts very smooth, no noise or vibration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,738 Posts
Re: Re: Gear Shifts

DaleB said:


For $595, you should not be feeling nothing, you should be feeling something good! :D
:19:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
CRSTBBL,

Bring your car into Acura. In the last week I read numerous posts about problems with the 03 MDX and New Accord transmissions. There is extensive info about it on the CL forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Mine doesn't vibrate

Definitely something doesn't sounds right - I noticed mine shift between 3500 - 4000 rpms too, but never feel the vibration though. I noticed the engine sounds only when I shut off the radio, but never bothers me though.

I would take it back to the dealer and insist on more checks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
sandman1 said:
There are a couple of other threads about the higher 1-2 shift point on the 03'. Acura has re-mapped the 1-2 shift point on the 03'. Mine shifts around 3300 RPM even if I baby it off the line. The 1-2 shift is still very smooth so it does not bother me one bit. As far as the vibration in the steering wheel I would not assume that it is normal. Mine shifts very smooth, no noise or vibration.
Mine is 03' and 1-2 shift point is also around 3300 to 3500. Actually, I don't feel comfortable about that. Especially, the engine sound. Anyone has brought it back to Acura to check it is normal or not.

Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Hello everyone

Our 2003 shifts smooth. Remember engine loading dictates shift points, just because a computer does it now, it's the same as vacuum load servo as before, just more accurate. It would take to long fully explain this, but if your uncomfortable, please call your service manger (Acura always treated me very well,3 cars over 11 yrs).;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
My 03 also shifts out of first around 3500 rpm's. The upshifts after that occur very quickly. The shifts have been pretty smooth though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Rough shifts may or may not be bad, for example -- the '03 Infiniti FX-45 SUV:

Quoting from autoweek.com: "The lower output of the FX’s engine is compensated for further down the powertrain. The torque converter is quicker and stiffer than the Q’s, dispensing with any luxury pretense in order to transfer torque to the wheels. The five-speed automatic shifts quicker, too, with resultant shift shock.

Likewise the suspension, made stiff to keep the taller FX in line, transfers road feel directly into the cabin like a drunken ex-girlfriend banging on the door at 4 a.m.—you know she’s there, you know what she wants and you figure, what the hell, I’m letting her in."

The whole story is here: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=09308583
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top