Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2003 gear shifter has slowly been getting worse (I plan to do the cable check & first aid as outlined in another post) but I'm curious if that might have anything to do with not being able to start the car when it is in park. Currently I have to use the shifter release to put it in neutral and it starts fine. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
NSS=Neutral safety switch. It's under the battery. Make sure you have the sound system code as the battery need to come out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI -- did the lube/clean thing on the shifter cable linkage and got it moving like it did 10 years ago. With regard to the not starting in the Park position problem --upon going up and down several times on the shifter I thought for the heck of it I try to see if it would start in Park -- and by golly it did! I don't have any answers as to why that fixed it but everything is good for the time being

2003 MDX
234,500 miles

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm guessing the crap on the cable connection was keeping the nss from going into the position it recognizes as park ( or far enough into it), thereby not allowing the vehicle to start, incidentally exactly what the nss should do when it thinks Ur not in park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had to replace the NSS in my 2005. I was going to do it myself, but surprisingly the dealership only charged $70 labor to do it. Worth that for me not to have to stay mostly bent over the hood for an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts