Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 MDX Touring and the gear shift light on the center console (lights up R, P, D, N, etc.) is burned out. Does anyone know how to go about changing this light bulb or should I make to 50 mile trip to the Acura garage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
You have no service shop within less than 50 miles of you? It must be nice to live in an area that is not crowded.

I imagine that if you get one of the maintenance manuals it will detail how to change this light.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,137 Posts
mooch said:
I have a 2002 MDX Touring and the gear shift light on the center console (lights up R, P, D, N, etc.) is burned out. Does anyone know how to go about changing this light bulb or should I make to 50 mile trip to the Acura garage?
There are no lights there, the only lights are on the dashboard to indicate what gear you're in. Very cheap of Acura not to have the gear indicator light up by the shifter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
mooch said:
I have a 2002 MDX Touring and the gear shift light on the center console (lights up R, P, D, N, etc.) is burned out. Does anyone know how to go about changing this light bulb or should I make to 50 mile trip to the Acura garage?
Are you talking about the meter area where the speedometer, fuel, temp. etc. are located, or the gear shift stick area?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
hammermdx is right - there is no light there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
On the 04 model, the alphabets around the gear stick light up when we have the headlights on. It doesn't do much other than this - still best to look on the instrument panel to double-check which gear we're in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
I looked down this morning and I swear there were lights that turned on to tell you what gear you are in on the center console. It sure seemed darker than usual. Anyone with an 01-02 confirm??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
I can confirm YES! there are light in the center console.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Part number 35505-692-003

As removing center console easy, grab the plood ( plastic wood trim) on the underside toward the cup holder ( you can remove the cup holder by pulling straight up. Then SLOWLY go around both sides follow the trim and pull straight up you can use popsicle stick or other non-marring object to wedge under. Work towards the front of the trim then remove completly by unplugging the heat seater switches. The light bulb is on the left side. Remove, replace bulb and reverse the removal. this is a great time to clean the edges of the trim and center console of crumbs and dirt.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Thanks Warzau.. Do you think Honda has the same part in one of their vehicles? I don't feel like driving all the way to the nearest Acura dealership. BTW....How the heck has everyone been doing? I haven't frequented as much lately. Should jump in more often. I still love this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,137 Posts
My bad, what I meant to say is that there is no light to indicate what gear you are in w/o looking at the indicator on the dashboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Not to bring back a dead thread but I appreciate the info. I recently bought a 2002 MDX and was annoyed with the lights. I took off the "chrome" trim, the plood, unhooked the wire to replace the light and...........there wasn't a light there at all! Now I don't know if the previous owner hated to see if he was in Drive or Neutral, but I thought that was strange. 2 bucks later, fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Warzau said:
Part number 35505-692-003

As removing center console easy, grab the plood ( plastic wood trim) on the underside toward the cup holder ( you can remove the cup holder by pulling straight up. Then SLOWLY go around both sides follow the trim and pull straight up you can use popsicle stick or other non-marring object to wedge under. Work towards the front of the trim then remove completly by unplugging the heat seater switches. The light bulb is on the left side. Remove, replace bulb and reverse the removal. this is a great time to clean the edges of the trim and center console of crumbs and dirt.

Man I'm glad I found this forum, so much good info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I removed the chrome ring, plood, switch plugs.

My question: I don't see the light. I see some wires that are most logically to the light as they go in under the lighted area. Is there a way to remove the RND,etc panel to actually get to the light or can I service the light with this part on? If so, how does one remove the light with only the wires visible?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Thanks I found that out a little earlier today. Now to find a replacement bulb. I called the local auto parts store and they thought it might be a GE 37 bulb. But I went to get one and found out it was slightly larger and would not fit into the socket. Hopefully the Honda dealer will have one because the Acura dealer is over an hour's drive away.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
RudeJoe said:
Thanks I found that out a little earlier today. Now to find a replacement bulb. I called the local auto parts store and they thought it might be a GE 37 bulb. But I went to get one and found out it was slightly larger and would not fit into the socket. Hopefully the Honda dealer will have one because the Acura dealer is over an hour's drive away.
Just order it from Tim, I found out that Tim has any part from 20 to 25% less than any dealer. I buy all the hard to find bulbs from him, I got mine for about 6 bucks as opposed to 9-12 from the dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top