Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was accelerating on to the freeway and happen to look down at the dash. Noticed the D5 light flash on the dash. Happened again while accelerating on the freeway, downshift 5th to 3rd. Just laying into it, not moving the great shift.

04 touring, 167000 all orig.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this and any possible issues associated.

Drewfus

·
Registered
209 Posts
Flashing D5 generally means transmission overheating. It may also mean there is another transmission fault. Is your check engine and VTM-4 light not on?

Check your transmission fluid that it is at right level, and not milky. Should be deep red (great) to reddish black (time for a fluid change but not likely to be your problem). Milky is terrible news.

If everything checks out, you need to follow the service manual troubleshooting steps or take to a mechanic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check engine and VTM4 light are both off. Checked fluid level. Very difficult to see and read on dipstick. What I can see is not milky. I'll probably do a fluid flush and replace. Then go from there. How it's not a cooling issue, as I plan on towing my camping trailer next weekend.

I appreciate your input!

Drewfus

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you have the external transmission cooler added to the front of your radiator?

If everything else is good it could also be the transmission temp sensor is going bad and only thinks it is overheating.

I think there is a PITA way to pull PCM codes for people who don't have the Honda factory diagnostic computer. Instructions would be in service manual and think I've seen threads on here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have the external cooler for the trans. Definitely on my "to-do" list. Not super keen on pulling the whole front end apart to do it lol. I really appreciate your input and knowledge.
The flashing of D5 was rather sporadic/random. Not a rhythm like throwing a code. Doing a drain and refill on the trans today and will see how she does.
I'll be looking at the temp sensor as well now.

Drewfus

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to report, during the drain and refill, nothing abnormal with spent fluid color or consistency. Just the typical cake metal dust on the plug.
Refill took an extra 300- 350 ml to achieve the desired dipstick reading.

Drewfus

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...
No further issues, thus far. Towed the ole camping trailer 630 miles over the past weekend!
Drewfus

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's great. Mine flashes (only once) sporadically because my transmission position sensor is misaligned. But there is an OBD code for that which turns on the check engine light occasionally. I've never seen it flash more than once in less than a minute with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts