Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone replaced their thermostat with a Gates brand can you tell me which one you used. I have a 2004. I'm seeing 33992 oe exact and 33914 oe type.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
From lots of experience I would not recommend to replace the T-Stat for anything but the OEM Honda 2 Stage, Regardless of how good the Aftermarket brand is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Any ideas as to why a namebrand thermostat would not perform as well as the oem, providing the same fitment and specs?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
No they COULD perform as well as OEM but for some reason, they don´t.. I have seen plenty of folks using different T-Stats over the forums just to come back later with some sort of overheating or the temp gauge going all over the place because the T-Stat would not open & close in the same temp ranges as the OEM T-Stat..

So if this was the Timing Belt Kit which I recommend the AISIN Kit over OEM for budget reasons? I cannot recommend a single aftermarket brand over the OEM 2 Stage Honda T-Stat.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Thanks for the info. Any ideas as to why a namebrand thermostat would not perform as well as the oem, providing the same fitment and specs?
If you compare OE and AM side by side they are always different. Different wax capsules and spring gauges will yield different open and close temperatures, not to mention less reliability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts