Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it possible that I was able to put in 19.6 gallons of gas in my car,when capacity is 19.2. On my trip computer it said 5 miles to empty. I calibrated the computer at -10 to empty.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
NAC [not a clue] ... This oughta be good!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
WarpSpeed...

How is it possible that I was able to put in 19.6 gallons of gas in my car,when capacity is 19.2
Answer: It's not - sounds like a plot to me. I think that the pump must be in error. I'd ask the outfit that sold you the gas for some money back. :eek: I've had my MDX very low on gas (warning light on then an additional 20 miles or so), yet I could only get about 17 1/2 gallons into it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ask the state weights and measures dept the same question! They may want to check the gas station for not pumping accurate amounts. This was an issue about a year ago in a couple areas - I would buy my gas somewhere else!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
This is just a guess??

I am guessing that the stated tank capacity is for the tank only; i.e. not including the filler tube to the tank. It may be possible that the filler tube holds ~1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The first question I'd ask is how you got yourself in that situation. I'd say you are running on fumes and were very lucky. I have my NAV unit set to -10 correction for trip computer, and it is right on accurate within 5 to 10 miles to empty everytime I have calculated. You had gas in your lines and filter only.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Most recent example.

NAV trip computer showed I had 22 miles to go to empty

I put in 17.571 gallons (always to pump click off, no extra filling - I learned the hard way!) - In California at 1.759/gal that is $30.91

My manual says 19.3 gallons capacity, as I recall (please correct if wrong).

I calculated 1.73 gallons left, averaged 15.3 mpg on this tank (all city driving and in a very hilly area of San Diego, all up and down driving) - average speed 27.5 mph

Based on 1.73 gallons left in tank, at 15.3 mpg, I had 26.5 miles left in the tank, the computer told me I had 22 miles.

I am very happy with the 4.5 mile "reserve" plus now I know there is at least another 0.5 gallon capacity reserve over manual, assuming the pump in the original post was giving an accurate reading.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Re: weth...

oceanMDX said:
When you were down near empty, how much gas were you able to put in your tank?
there was a thread about this topic with detailed calculation before, you might want to check it out... i've done fill-up three times so far, and i pumped about 17.5 galons into the tank when the trip computer displayed 10-20 miles till empty...

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2585

·
Registered
179 Posts
Back about a year ago I posted the same question. The trip computer said I had about 90 miles till empty at an average of 21 mpg. Half way through filling up I switched to slow fill and it took like 18.3 gallons. I think that if it is filled slowly it burps itself and doesn't limit the fill do to less air still in the tank.

Mine showed it would take about 23 gallons at that rate. The NAV was set to 0 on that tank. The extra fuel reduced my mpg on that tank to 16, but then the next tank shot up to 26 under the same driving conditions. Both mpg figures aren't in the norm of my vehicle which otherwise has always been between 19-23 for those conditions.

Ever since, I have always used the medium fill rate and let it shut off automatically, according to the MDX manual. Even with the NAV set at zero, it always takes at least two gallons less than what it calculates to. At 21 mpg with 70 miles to go I would think it would take about 16 gallons, but it is always closer to 14.

I would assume it's because the trip computer isn't exact so Acura padded the calculations so we don't run out. I don't dare to set the NAV at minus 40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made a mistake. I have the computer set to +10 not -10. That means I should get at least 10 more miles with the gas left in the tank,when the computer reaches 0.
Since it was set at +10 and it said 5 miles to empty,I should have had almost a gallon left. That would make the capacity of the gas tank 20.something gallons.
I think I should speak to the owner of that gas station.It is the exxon on mamaroneck ave in White Plains,New york.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I Think You're Gonna Run Out of Gas

weth wrote ...
I am very happy with the 4.5 mile "reserve" plus now I know there is at least another 0.5 gallon capacity reserve over manual, assuming the pump in the original post was giving an accurate reading.
IMHO, I think that you are going to run out of gas. My MPG calculations are ALWAYS LOWER than the trip computer [Nav version if it makes a diff] and the DIFFERENCE IS NEVER THE SAME. I can eliminate "fill up varience" as the cause because then my manual calcs would vary from lower on some to higher on others but this is simply not the case. I don't think it wise to run the tank down to "4.5 miles" remaining [e.g. 0.25-0.33 gal] and rely on this to prevent yourself from running out of gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I totally agree, I would never on a regular basis, run an automobile down to fractions of a gallon. As noted in my post, I filled up with an estimated 1.5 gallon left in the tank, by the trip computer calculations. My manual calculations have always been 0.2 to 0.4 lower than the trip computer calculation, but rather consistent.

What I do want is as accurate as possible true miles left to empty, without underestimating, in case I am ever in a bad situation - middle of the desert, middle of the night, and running low on fuel. I am the type that sets the clocks in the house to the exact second (in the MDX as well).

That is why I calculated to set the NAV trip computer to a -10 adjustment, seemed the most accurate from the data I was able to obtain. I do not intend to "test" my data by running it to zero.

What do others set there adjustment to?

Thanks for bringing this up to all - I think most would agree it is never a good idea to run the tank to fractions of a gallon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts