Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I brought my 2001 MDX in for its 30,000 mile service, the dealer discovered a gas tank leak. It has been over a week now that the replacement gas tank has been on back order-- with no release date in sight. I have been in touch with customer service via the 800 number, but no help so far in getting a gas tank. Two questions: 1. Has anyone else had a problem with a gas tank leak? 2. How long is 'reasonable' to wait for a replacement gas tank? I understand that the holiday had an impact, but still this seems excessive to me. Probably won't be in now until after Jan 1 and then that's 3 weeks and counting! Thanks.:(

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Reasonable to 'dealer' vs 'reasonable to owner'

A leaking gas tank is a safety item. It is also almost certainly a violation of federal law to drive the a vehicle with a leaking gas tank.

While the dealer is probably not too concerned with the lack of speed in delivery, you should SCREAM AND ***** AND MAKE THEIR LIFE UNPLEASANT!!!

First you 100% deserve to have a LOANER. Whether the factory is paying for this depends on the cause of the leak. If it is obviously due to impact/collision, you may have some financial responsibility, but your insurance can tell you that. If, otoh, this is due to a DEFECT, than the factory ought to bending over backwards to help fix this ASAP.

This is a serious safety problem. DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE. STRESS TO THE FACTORY THAT YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO GET THE PARTS TO YOUR DEALER ASAP! IF THIS MEANS THEY DELAYING THE BUILDING SOME OTHER MDX, THEY SHOULD DO IT. IF THESE MEANS THEY WILL HAVE TO HIRE A SPECIAL EXPRESS FREIGHT COMPANY, THEY SHOULD DO IT!

The dealerships needs to have a fire lit under their arses, before you & your MDX go KABLOOM!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gas tank leak

Thanks. I do have use of a rental car for which Acura is paying. The leak is not the result of an accident; I didn't even know I had a leak. The dealer has the MDX and was quite insistent that it was not drivable (not that I wanted to drive it with the leak). Now they do not seem too concerned over the length of time to get the replacement gas tank. I have gone from the service manager up to the general manager and to the 800 Acura number. Now I have a case manager assigned to me! I just would like it fixed so I can have my car back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas leak on 2001

Found a gas leak where the filler hose enters the tank.Dealer
says I need a new tank.Is there a connecting piece between the
filler hose and tank?Maybe that's all that needs to be replaced.

TIA,
Berry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts