Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

I am just looking for a little reassurance. I have searched and read about a "clunk" that comes from the rear of my MDX. Maybe "clunk" is too strong. More like a "cunk."

My car was built on or about 3/26/02 so it's not likely "the thud."

I think it's "the slosh" from the gas tank. Seems that this occurs primarily when backing up or after backing moving forward. Doesn't sound serious but is annoying. Also, doesn't seem to matter whether tank is full, 3/4, etc.

Y'all agree this is probably just sloshing gas and not to worry?

I love this car and a little "cunk" from gas tank isn't going to make me bonkers.

As I said at the outset, just want some reassurance. I will mention it to dealer at first oil change coming up soon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could the noise possibly be coming from the brake calipers? This occurs when the brakes are applied after changing directions, ie. going forward, then reversing, then going forward again. You will hear a distinctive clicking sound. Very annoying, but based on the number of other MDX owners complaining, it seems to be a characteristic of the braking system.

The service advisor said it's normal and it's due to the way the brakes float on the calipers.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It's not "the thud" b/c that was limited to a specific VIN range of 01s and was the front suspension.

I usually characterize the gastank slosh as sounding like a softball rolling loose in the rear storage compartment (underfloor). It's muted and it's makes the noise just once -- like the softball rolls and hits the front of the storage area (and stops)...

Certainly could be MARFONG'S diagnosis, too. The caliper click is more of a 'click' with a dash of 'clunk' and is more pronounced right outta the gate -- when the car/brakes are cool.

BTW, one way to tell is to roll the windows down next time you're pulling out of the garage...the caliper click is clearly audible as coming from the outside...whereas the gastank slosh will sound like it's from the rear, inside.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Marfong and Worm for the reply. I looked up the TSB on the slosh after my post, yea I know should have done that before, but the TSB describes it as "thump" and that's what I hear.

Worm describes a ball rolling in the rear, that's it! It's not a "click."

Thanks to you both, I am sure it's gas(oline). Beano won't cure it.

Anyway, I will be backing out of the garage soon and will roll down the window to listen further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts