1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get Ready To Pay Even More At The Pump

February 24, 2004

By Bryan Johnson

SEATTLE - Wholesale prices for unleaded gasoline increased eight cents a gallon in Western Washington in the past week. Some gas stations have already boosted prices, others are expected to do so soon.

Gas industry analyst Tim Hamilton of the group AUTO, which represents 500 independent dealers, told KOMO 4 News: "Get ready to pay anywhere from $2.00 to $2.75 a gallon on a good summer and if we have a bunch of problems. There are analysts who say it will hit $5 in California and $4 in the rest of the West."

That makes the prices in Olympia -- $1.77.9 for regular to $1.97.9 for premium -- seem cheap. Customer Sam Kinville doesn't understand: "I thought when we got the Iraqi thing situated that oil and gas was going to be available."

There are few solutions. Priscilla Richardson is looking for answers: "I'm looking into buying a new Prius or a Honda Hybrid so I don't have to buy so much gas."

Gas station owner Kevin Reichert uses a stick to measure his gas supply. He raised prices eight cents a gallon last Friday. Sales dropped almost 500 gallons a day.

He says: "I think gas is going to go up even higher. That's what they are telling us, we could see record prices. I don't want my customers to have to pay $2.50 on a gallon of gas."

Experts tell KOMO 4 News the problems will become worse when Shell closes the Bakersfield, California, refinery by the end of the year. If California needs more gas, it will come from Washington State.

Hamilton says Washington Governor Gary Locke should worry, and you should worry:

"All this money that's being spent today in extra prices at the pump leaves the state and goes to oil company bank accounts. So it doesn't turn over in the local economy, you don't build the new ports, you don't go to the grocery stores. So this leaves the state and causes us problems with unemployment," he said.

Asked what the average person can do, Hamilton had a one word answer: pay.

He says the only possible answer would be Federal regulation of gas supply and prices. He says the chance that will happen is roughly zero.

:mad:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mr. Mom said:
Get Ready To Pay Even More At The Pump

"I thought when we got the Iraqi thing situated that oil and gas was going to be available."

:mad:
I guess it really backfire on Bush, much like everything he does. $2.50 a gallon is coming our way very soon, it has been in Europe and Asia for many years already. Some experts say we have about 4000 years of oil left on earth and some say as little as 500 years. If the truth is somewhere in the middle, we better start conserving and start looking for alternative energy sources.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Re: Re: Gas prices for 04 summer

hopeitsfriday said:
Some experts say we have about 4000 years of oil left on earth and some say as little as 500 years. If the truth is somewhere in the middle, we better start conserving and start looking for alternative energy sources.
You just never know what you'll find to read on the board.

If the oil supply will last 500 to 4000 years, I think we're in pretty good shape to get alternatives figured out. When I was in grade school in the 1970s, the consensus was about 30-50 years of oil left--which means we should have started running out by about now!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I thought the reason why the U.S. is the Middle East is so that we have abundant (low cost) supply of oil. Young Americans are dying there for this commodity (which we are abusing) and yet we are not getting our investment (taxes and human cost) back.

Maybe the big oil companies are just manipulating it and earning billions of dollars (some of which they will donate for the '04 elections).

Some people are afraid/ashame to conserve least they be called 'environmentalist and/or tree huggers'. And so we will be sending more young Americans to the brutal sands of the Arabian peninsula for years and years to come just so we can keep on wasting oil.

·
Registered
715 Posts
dvilla said:
Some people are afraid/ashame to conserve least they be called 'environmentalist and/or tree huggers'. And so we will be sending more young Americans to the brutal sands of the Arabian peninsula for years and years to come just so we can keep on wasting oil.
It seems the IRONY is lost on those people who consider themselves ultra-pro-American but continue to drive the largest trucks and SUVs they can get their hands on--and use them for short errands, drive-thrus, and commuting, to boot!

I know around here, as in other rural areas, pickup trucks rule, and the bigger the better. But they'll tell you without hesitating they're 100% American and pretty much despise the situation in the Middle East. Of course, in Frontierland, it's your God-given right to do whatever the hell you want to.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Re: Re: Gas prices for 04 summer

hopeitsfriday said:

I guess it really backfire on Bush, much like everything he does. $2.50 a gallon is coming our way very soon, it has been in Europe and Asia for many years already. Some experts say we have about 4000 years of oil left on earth and some say as little as 500 years. If the truth is somewhere in the middle, we better start conserving and start looking for alternative energy sources.
If you consider that little over a 100 years ago we had almost none of the technologies we had today, 500-4000 years is an eternity. We'll have alternative sources probably within a 100 years. We could sooner but as you know 'necessity is father of invention'. Until there is serious pressure on mankind, we will not do so.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
On Long Island New York were up to $2.05 for super, I was able to find a Citgo at $1.87 a gallon. It's going to be a long expensive summer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Gore supporters must be jumping for joy!!

Didn't he want $5/gallon gas as stated in his book? Well, we are not quite there yet Al, but we are working on it!

I thought we went into Iraq for oil (so says the Left). Could it be they were lying?!?!:eek:

The quickest way to alternative fuels is to USE UP ALL THE OIL! So those guys driving the largest trucks and SUVs should be congratulated for quickening the transition to alternative fuels! Or, could it be that the limited oil supply is a lie, too?

This is entertaining. Complain when the gas prices jump but when someone suggests increasing the supply, you oppose that. It makes zero sense. It also doesn't make sense that every locality has their own blend of gasoline.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Anybody else getting tired of the "seasonal price adjustment"?!?

It's been decades since oxygenated fuels have been required. Memorial Day has been a holiday for 50 years.

I refuse to belive that the refiners can't fgiure this out.

I'm going to buy one of these: http://www.fuel-tanks.com/minismarttanks.htm

ANd I'll fill it up the last week of January, when fuel prices bottom out and thumb my nose ot the gas dealers till the next year :D

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only problem with getting a tank, at least where I live, is getting a permit and having a soil test if you sell the property. If there is any contamination, then there's the cleanup.:eek:

·
Registered
836 Posts
hhwc said:
Gore supporters must be jumping for joy!!

Didn't he want $5/gallon gas as stated in his book? Well, we are not quite there yet Al, but we are working on it!
You bring up a good point, hhwc. But of all those Gorey ideas, why did Bush have to steal *this* one? Why couldn't he just invent another Internet or something? :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Just paid the most ever to fill my tank $42.00, it's crazy. I can't imagine what the 8 cylinder monster trucks are doing???? I believe the per gallon cost was $2.48 for super.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I saw $2.699 on the Palisade Interstate Parkway in Rockland County NY a couple of days ago... ironically just a couple of exits from NJ where I filled up with premium for $2.079.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It happens every year. Trade commodities and make some money shorting the stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts