Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently noticed a vibration in the gas pedal. It happens both on smooth and rough roads so I don’t think you can simply blame the road. At this point I feel like I notice it more at lower speeds and RPMs but it may very well be that I have been doing mostly city driving so my sample is limited.

One example would be if I have my foot on the gas pedal around 25-30mphs and typical 1-2 rpms, there is a sort of vibration in the pedal that you can feel in your foot. In terms of the brake pedal it’s hard to say if there is a vibration.

I did see someone mention a similar issue in another thread (related to road noise) but I figure it’s worth starting a new thread.

I emailed the dealership where I got the car and will be calling them to follow up ASAP.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I also have a couple of road trips planned, is this something I should be very concerned about if not fixed prior to the trips?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
Your symptoms point towards the VCM related vibrations. Gas pedal is not vibrating, it's the vehicle body but you are feeling it on gas pedal because it's very minimal vibration.
This is just my guess.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi all,

I recently noticed a vibration in the gas pedal. It happens both on smooth and rough roads so I don’t think you can simply blame the road. At this point I feel like I notice it more at lower speeds and RPMs but it may very well be that I have been doing mostly city driving so my sample is limited.

One example would be if I have my foot on the gas pedal around 25-30mphs and typical 1-2 rpms, there is a sort of vibration in the pedal that you can feel in your foot. In terms of the brake pedal it’s hard to say if there is a vibration.

I did see someone mention a similar issue in another thread (related to road noise) but I figure it’s worth starting a new thread.

I emailed the dealership where I got the car and will be calling them to follow up ASAP.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I also have a couple of road trips planned, is this something I should be very concerned about if not fixed prior to the trips?

Thanks in advance!

I noticed the same thing and one thing that I did that helped alot which maybe or may not be out of your capability is I removed the floor carpeting and put DOUBLE layer of Noico 80 mil butyl followed by closed cell foam insulation on top (both purchased on Amazon) and that reduced it. I'm coming from a quiet EV vehicle and wanted to be as quiet as possible. It could be the VCM but I highly doubt it at those speeds, to my understanding it's usually at highway cruising speeds.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I thought the +22 MDX had drive by wire gas pedal and brake? The vibration might just be the result of the normal play in the gas pedal. The vibration might be elsewhere; but, just shows up in the gas pedal.

Reactions: LSNY84

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was mention in this or the other large Acura forum about feeling the vibration. I think they said it was related to a faulty wheel bearing or the tires- check the road noise thread here.

EDIT: here's a link to the thread, goes to the post talking about the gas pedal vibration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was mention in this or the other large Acura forum about feeling the vibration. I think they said it was related to a faulty wheel bearing or the tires- check the road noise thread here.

EDIT: here's a link to the thread, goes to the post talking about the gas pedal vibration.
Thanks - indeed I saw that thread but think it may be worth while having a dedicated thread to gas pedal vibration in case the issue comes up more frequently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I too have noticed this vibration in the gas pedal.. we just got our advanced model yesterday..I do love the car and really will live with this vibration if it is in fact a normal thing…we traded in our 2017 MDX and it did not do this…feels like an electric buzzing …? Like on some golf carts. ? i have heard maybe the gas pedal is now electric ? I have not reached out to our dealer yet…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have noticed this vibration in the gas pedal.. we just got our advanced model yesterday..I do love the car and really will live with this vibration if it is in fact a normal thing…we traded in our 2017 MDX and it did not do this…feels like an electric buzzing …? Like on some golf carts. ? i have heard maybe the gas pedal is now electric ? I have not reached out to our dealer yet…
Thanks for replying. I've had the '22 Advanced for about a month now and overall really do love the car. I can't say I have any of the electronic issues or other issues mentioned on this site.

I will be bringing the car to the dealership service center tomorrow in order for the technicians to drive it and then take a closer look. I'll report back.

Also indeed the service technician on the phone told me the pedals are drive by wire (i.e. electronic)

·
Registered
523 Posts
The MDX has had drive-by-wire throttle since 2003.
Almost every modern car has an electronic throttle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I have same issue
between 1 and 2 rpm...like electric buzzing
so I went to dealer they said they can't feel any vibration
they check tire balance. alignment..also check the bearing... still buzzing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same issue
My husband says he can’t feel it either. Maybe I have been wearing sandals and him sneakers…? I’m going to head out for a ride…

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed the same thing and one thing that I did that helped alot which maybe or may not be out of your capability is I removed the floor carpeting and put DOUBLE layer of Noico 80 mil butyl followed by closed cell foam insulation on top (both purchased on Amazon) and that reduced it. I'm coming from a quiet EV vehicle and wanted to be as quiet as possible. It could be the VCM but I highly doubt it at those speeds, to my understanding it's usually at highway cruising speeds.
Ridiculous that you’re sourcing on Amazon and installing foam insulation to install in a $60K vehicle to dampen vibration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Update August 26th:

Took the car to Acura Service (same dealership where I got the car). Went on drive with a technician who said he doesn't feel any buzzing in the gas pedal; I however made a point he may not be feeling the buzzing because he is wearing heavy work boots. In any case, when he was in the passenger seat he did acknowledge very faint buzzing under the floor. We then proceeded to drive around a '22 MDX loaner (with over 4k miles on it) - I admitted that although I do feel some electronic buzzing in the pedal, it did seem like it was less than my car. Surprisingly though, the technician said he noticed a considerable about of vibration on the passenger side; indeed when I sat in the passenger side there was a significant amount of vibration under the mat (felt very similar to the buzzing I am feeling through the gas pedal of my car). Overall a confusing situation but at least provided a bit of clarity that the issue was not just specific to my car.

We then discussed all the possible causes mentioned on this site:

• Wheel bearings: technician said that the first sign is a loud noise coming from the wheels at high speeds - I don't have such a noise
  • VCM (variable cylinder management): I forget the specific reasons cited by the tech. but basically said that any issues with the VCM would not present themselves as this type of vibration
  • Wheel alignment: said you would feel much more shaking including the steering wheel. They offered to do wheel alignment but only at a cost to me which I out of principal declined

For good measure, they did lift the car up just to check it out but found no visible issues.

In conclusion the service department said that in the absence of more specific information, they would attribute this vibration as part of the "car characteristics." They also suggested I try not to pay attention to it.

I will keep doing more research and will send my feedback to Acura Corporate. At this point in time, it does seem to me like a design defect whereby there is too much vibration in the front part of the car. I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a critical issue but I remain very annoyed that this $62k car is causing me this amount of irritation.

One other note: on the drive home I was able to use adaptive cruise control which allowed me to feel the same vibration on the floor underneath the gas pedal. So as of today, it seems to me an overall issue with vibration in the front part of the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before you installed this additional insulation, were you feeling the vibration in the pedals and the passenger side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have same issue
Thanks for your comment. See my reply to my original post. Same experience as you - service didn't find anything wrong but the buzzing is still there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<Snip!>
In conclusion the service department said that in the absence of more specific information, they would attribute this vibration as part of the "car characteristics." They also suggested I try not to pay attention to it.

I will keep doing more research and will send my feedback to Acura Corporate. At this point in time, it does seem to me like a design defect whereby there is too much vibration in the front part of the car. I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a critical issue but I remain very annoyed that this $62k car is causing me this amount of irritation.

One other note: on the drive home I was able to use adaptive cruise control which allowed me to feel the same vibration on the floor underneath the gas pedal. So as of today, it seems to me an overall issue with vibration in the front part of the car.
While I don't have the same issue, I have been facing similar issues in regards to absence of solutions with wheel balancing/defective tires and distorted HUD. One salesperson, who also noticed the distorted HUD and knew that the service advisor had told me that everything was in spec, told me to always bring it up with every service visit. Basically said that even when there's no fix, one should bring it up because it might help Acura realize it's an issue (more people complaining = more significant issue) and also because it's NOT NORMAL.

Steering wheel shake at highway speeds in a new car is not normal. Me having no gas pedal buzzing or notable passenger size buzzing when not driving, and you having it? Not normal. Being told that these issues is normal and to live with it? I'll leave it to you to decide which word is most suitable as a response.

Edit: Acura Client Relations told me that if one service advisor didn't notice my issue, that I should ask for someone else or take the car to another dealership, which I've done. Different people have noticed or not noticed the issues, and the last one said they noticed the steering wheel shake at speeds lower than I had experienced!

And now I notice it too. My tolerance apparently has gone up, as has my irritation.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I purchased my 19 MDX off the transport and upgraded to the gloss black Berlina rims. I felt vibrations and the MDX didn't track straight at hwy speeds. You didn't notice the tracking issue if you had LKAS/RDM enabled. Didn't trust the Acura techs and went to Discount Tires to Road Force balance the tires and they found one really out of spec. Off to Firestone for an alignment and 1/2 of the 14 alignment points were either yellow or red (rear camber still in yellow; but, I can live with that).

That cleared up my tracking and vibrations issues. With modern cars drive by wire everything and Acurawatch type safety features might make it hard to narrow down issue. The gas pedal vibration issue could be the issue or a symptom if it can be narrowed down after everything else is eliminated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your symptoms point towards the VCM related vibrations. Gas pedal is not vibrating, it's the vehicle body but you are feeling it on gas pedal because it's very minimal vibration.
This is just my guess.
yes that's was vcm vibration
is it ok to install vcm tuner or muzzle ?

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
yes that's was vcm vibration
is it ok to install vcm tuner or muzzle ?
I took VCM muzzler route because my center arm rest used to vibrate on my previous 2014 mdx, it was that bad. VCM never bothered me in my 2016 mdx.
Personally, I would not install it on newer models

1 - 20 of 40 Posts