Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new MDX a few weeks ago. I do a lot of highway driving. So far only averaging 19.8 MPG at 70-75MPH.

What are others getting for overall Mileage?

Thanks,

Perkdan

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Do a search

This is a topic discussed ad nauseum; many threads in the database. Search is a very powerful and useful feature.

For what it is worth your milage is not that bad, especially if it includes city miles in the average as well as A/C on. We average ~ 21-22 at 75 MPH pure highway miles.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I average 22-24 at a steady 70mph and get right at 19 on a 50/50 mix of driving, I am more than happy with my MPG:2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep looking at these threads about mileage for a while and I don't know how you are getting this kind of numbers.

On 80% freeway; 20% city, I get 18.

I was getting this with my X5 and M320.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You may have very different driving habits than others on this site. I personally drive at a resonable rate of speed and usually avoid fast starts unless I am at a light next to an X5 or M320:2:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We just returned from Florida ...

... 1060 miles in 17 hours; we averaged about 23 mpg - all on the interstate with cruise control set at about 78 MPH:cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
perkdan, You have to give some break-in time. When mine was new, I got right at 17 in the city, about 20-21 hiway, combined about 18.6- 19.2. Now that I have more than 5k miles in it, the first oil change, my city mileage is still about 17, hiway is as hi as 24.8, combined on most tanks is 19.5-21.4 mpg. I drive at high altitudes, so I don't get quite as good as some of the other guys (& gals) in here do, but what do u expect from a 4400 lb. georgous vehicle:4:

·
Registered
166 Posts
We've been REALLY gentle with our X during break-in. We're over 600 miles but we're going to keep babying it until 1000 or so just in case :)

Since we've been so careful, we're averaging about 21-23 mpg so far. Most of it has been highway driving with speeds around 70 mph.

·
Registered
312 Posts
15 around town. Disappointing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Stop and go (city) driving is the MDX's weakness. It brings your ave. mpgs way down. If you seldom reset your trip comp, this average stays low. (history).
After breakin and the first oil change , my all around average has gone from the 17s to the 19s.
On the interstate, these babies sing , 24-25 mpg @ 70-80 mph
Considering the vehical, I think that's awesome.
Harry
PS keep your tires at max psi

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Not good around town

MrPrescott said:
15 around town. Disappointing.
We probably average around 16-17 in town; stop and go city driving.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have about 10k miles now. My milage has never really changed since day one. More change on season (ie no AC) then any other.

My mixed driving generally gives about 18 to 19. I have only broken 22 mpg once on an extended flat freeway trip of 500 miles. I have yet to see the 23 or 24 mpg shown on my display or from calc at pump. Once I got 24 mpg on the trip ind but by the end of the tank (almost all on fwy) it was down to 22 mpg again.

I would classify myself as very light on the pedal and break too. I do drive about 70-75.

Chris

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've been averaging about 16 - 17 mpg and about 30 mph!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Re: We just returned from Florida ...

msu79gt82 said:
... 1060 miles in 17 hours; we averaged about 23 mpg - all on the interstate with cruise control set at about 78 MPH:cool:
I drove to St Louis over Memorial Day weekend - RT from Dallas was 1226 miles. I averaged exactly what msu did - 23 mpg. Didn't use cruise all the time - but was driving 75 - 80 with A/C on.

I also avg 16 - 17 MPG around town.

msu & I must have the same driving habits :4:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you all keep your tires @ max inflation?
Only way to get good mpgs.
Just a reminder
:4:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I moved with my 2002 Touring Nav from New Jersey to Los Angeles.
In colder New Jersey weather (Feb/March) I clocked 25.5 MPG in pure highway driving on flat terrain (Garden State Pkwy); heavy local driving was giving 14.5 MPG.

Since I moved to warmer weather, but uneven terrain I have gotten around 15.5 MPG under heavy local conditions and 24.5 MPG in pure highway driving (LA to Victorville via Routes 10 and 15 across the 4200 ft Cajon Pass - good traffic conditions).

Right now I have 2200 miles on the odometer - have not had any oil change yet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
MDX303 said:
I moved with my 2002 Touring Nav from New Jersey to Los Angeles.

Right now I have 2200 miles on the odometer - have not had any oil change yet.
Isn't it a little farther than 2200 miles from NJ to CA? Do you have 22,000 miles on the odo? If so, why haven't you changed the oil, yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:

Isn't it a little farther than 2200 miles from NJ to CA? Do you have 22,000 miles on the odo? If so, why haven't you changed the oil, yet?
I think he has his MDX transported instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I am pretty dissapointed. I am using the same driving habits I used to with my 1996 Ford Explorer V6 and would get around 17MPG in the city.

I have had my MDX since early March 02, and have reset the calculation a few times...still..the number wont move from 15.6MPG average. :(

I rerally thought it would be better or equal my Explorer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts