Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my 02 MDX earlier in the year, my gas mileage ranged from 15-17 mpg for about half freeway/ half city driving. In the last couple months I've noticed that it was going down to around 14-16 mpg, and I assumed that since the summer was hot maybe the more a/c was causing this. But now it's running around 13mpg and at first I thought maybe after my 7500 service it would get better with fresh oil, etc. but it hasn't gone up.

Any advice on what it might be? WOuld the grade of gas be causing this? Because when the prices get high, I go to a lower grade like 89 or sometimes even 87. WOuld this cause lower gas mileage?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I am not really sure about the gas milage with different grade of gas.

But did you read the milage from the monitor or your actual milage? [actual drive miles / gallons you pump into the tank]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely!!!

Acura indicate that the X should be run on 91 octane or better to achieve maximum output of the engine. USing a lower octane grade will definitely make the ave mpg go lower, and also couls have damaging effects on your X. I don't think that the saving you would get going from 91 to 89 or 87 worth the traouble later.

91 gas average about 10 cents more/gallon than 89 and about 15 cents more/gallon than 87...assuming that you are an average driver = 12,000 miles/year and your X got about 17miles/gallon. In one year you use APPROX 706 gallons. Multiply by the differences..

if you use 89 you might saved = $70/year

if you use 87 you might saved = $105/year

those figures IMHO is not worth the possible trouble that you might encounter in the future. Also, if you are seeing that lower grade = lower milage..than the possible savings are not there. Lower grade = 15 miles/gallon..in one year you would use 800 gallons (based on the above assumptions).. the money you use to buy that 100 gallons..exceed the amount that you might save by using lower grade gasoline..

So my reccomendation is to stick with 91 octane gas..and see if your gas milage improves...if not than you have another problem..

FYI I am avering 19-20 miles/gallon...and driving in Southern CA ...not a good place for high gas mileage..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
inperson said:

FYI I am avering 19-20 miles/gallon...and driving in Southern CA ...not a good place for high gas mileage..
19-20 mpg!!! I'm also in Southern California. Is this all freeway driving?? Cuz I notice that if I spend the majority of the tank on the freeway, I'll get those kinds of numbers but no way using city miles...

I drive streets to work and back ~10 miles each way and normal errand type driving most of the other times, but I average now about 13-14 mpg :(

I will go back to 91 and see if it improves at all, but I don't expect it to be much better than about 15 mpg.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Broken in 2001

Ours get 18 - 19 in normal around town (but all towns are different) driving. This weekend we went on an 800 miles round trip to WV. Going down the mileage was 22.1. Even though it's all interstate the portion south of Pittsburgh is a lot of mountains and curves, on and off the gas a lot. Yesterday I was thinking about an old thread from last year where someone reported the different mileage figures at different speeds. We filled up south of Akron Ohio and the next 75 miles was through the east burbs of Cleveland and we moved along at about 62. For this stretch the computer avg. worked its way up to 25.8. We stopped for dinner and after that the next 55 miles I ran at 75 mph and the computer slowly worked its way down to 24.1. So I guess the magic number for great mileage is around 60 on the freeways. The car has 19K miles and we use 93 gas. Haven’t checked the computer to a calculator in a long time but it used to be right on or a tenth off.:)

Niles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if speed has any factor on the highway, I can see why I might get a little lower mileage levels, being from So. Cal and all, average highway speed is around 80 and most streets range from 50-65 mph. So, I'm usually driving between 55-90 mph I would say.

But I still don't see why my gas mileage is so low. Does anyone else carry around the 13-14 mpg mark? It is getting ridiculously expensive having to fill up every 4 days or so and spending over $30 a fill.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Speed and mpg

Many have noticed and reported that the MDX gets better gas mileage the faster it goes up to about 65 or so. Hence a constant speed of 60 will give a better gas mileage than a constant speed of 40. However after 65-70 the mpg starts dropping off slightly.

Our MDX has ~ 29K miles now and the mpg has not changed. We continue to average ~22 on the highway driving in the upper 70s. But city driving is very different. Average ~ 17 around town. Its hard to get a bead on mixed use driving, but it is not in the middle. Any significant city driving on a particular tank seems to relegate the whole tank to near city averages. In other words uor mixed driving is usually 18-19 mpg.(closer to city than highway).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
pmspwrdmdx.........I really think the varying octane levels/gas brands are your reasons for lower mileage. I would also not rely on the trip computer to calculate the mileage. I find that my mileage is always 1 - 3 mpg off from what the dash computer tells me.

I avg about 17 or so mixed driving, but it does drop to about 14 with nothing but short trips (under 4 miles) at 40mph or lower with A/C on full blast at 95 + degrees.

I also noticed that when I used certain brands of gas (same 93 octane) my mileage went down under the same driving conditions. (tested this while driving 1300 mile round trip). Gas from Chevron/Mobil/Texaco provided 2 mpg more than gas from C-stores. (Love's, Citgo) Same speed, same day, same weather, etc.

I have noticed that overall my mileage has improved since first 1000 miles. If your mileage continues to decline, have the dealer chk it out. Maybe the computer isn't mixing air/fuel ratio properly? I had a 1981 Olds Cutless (company car years ago) that had a computer malfucntion that dropped the mileage from 18 to 10. Don't know if that would apply in the MDX............

·
Registered
8 Posts
we have also been getting bad mileage (14mpg) 19 hwy since we bought our X used with 16k mi. We brought it to the dealers attention when they were fixing the clicking brakes, and they said it was normal.
Weeks later, our 'check engine light' came on. The dealer checked it out and said it was a bad exhaust gas recirculation valve, and that could be why our mileage was so bad.

·
Registered
161 Posts
clicking brakes

Photobri,

You mentioned about getting your clicking brakes fixed. Did the dealer fix them? If so, what was done?

Our's clicks when there is a change in direction of travel. Our dealer said it's normal. But, I've heard about others having this problem fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
brakes clicking

Yes, the dealer fixed the clicking by installing some shims. Here is the text from the TSB thread in the 'problems' forum...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, looking through my paperwork, I told the dealer about it (brakes)three times at least. On one of the invoices, they even wrote the pads were shifting and it was 'normal'.
That is what had me go back and ask again. It is not 'normal'.

They did not put a bulletin number on my invoice, but here is what they did include:

Qty Part Number Description
---------------------------------------------
1 06435-S3V-A00 Shim Set, RR
2 45236-S0X-013 Liner A, Pad
2 45237-S0X-013 Liner B, Pad
2 45238-S0X-013 Liner C, Pad
2 45239-S0X-013 Liner D, Pad

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has your driving style changed?

I remember a thread talking about gas mileage - may want to do a search and see what you find. In the particular thread I'm thinking of, those people that were "leadfeet" noticed a significant drop in gas mileage. One person said they did a comparison - they did some "grandma"-like driving and some normal (for them) driving, and noticed a big difference.

Could it be that you've gotten used to the power of the bigger vehicle, and have become more aggressive in your acceleration? I lived in LA for almost 5 years - I remember how close together stoplights tend to be on surface streets (especially Sepulveda!), and they're not always that well synchronized. If you're managing to get up to 50-65 on surface streets, you must be accelerating pretty quickly, and frequently. Try getting up to speed slower and see if that impacts your gas mileage.

Ioana.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts