Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Gas mile Range

2176 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  louvnj
Hi Everyone, so this month I purchased a brand new 23 mdx Advance and I went on the test drive and it showed the gas range was at 405 miles and 2nd fill up at Costco left me at 380 miles and 3rd fill up at 365 miles which I was starting to get concerned if anyone is getting different gas range miles when filling up gas. TIA
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
100% normal. Your DTE (Distance Till Empty) is calculated on your current mpg average with the amount fuel in your tank.
Reactions: 1
MrGold has it right. Here's an example of the behavior -

As you know, your MDX will get vastly better gas mileage cruising on the freeway at 70mph than it will running back and forth in town heading to the office, schools, grocery, park, repeat. It might be for the example something like 25mpg for the first scenario and 17mpg for the second scenario (I made up these numbers but they're probably close). At a tank capacity of 18.5 gal -

• That'd translate to a range of about 462 miles if all you did was the first 25mpg scenario (like on a long all day trip somewhere)
  • But it'd be a range of about 314 miles if all you did was the second 17mpg scenario

But in reality you generally are doing some combo of the two scenarios above on a tank and it likely varies every tankful since you do different things with the vehicle every tankful.

Since the vehicle doesn't 'really' know exactly how you're going to drive in the future at the time you fill up it makes an educated guess of the range based on your last tank's actual range and as you drive on the tankful it'll keep adjusting that 'miles to empty' range figure. An example is when you drove in town on the last tank but then filled up to take a big 500 mile drive - it'll start out saying you have something like 340 miles range but then after you drive it an hour into your destination that figure will likely actually be higher than the 340 even though you've already driven some.

It's just a tool - nothing super accurate. The numbers you're seeing are likely just a reflection of how you drove on the different tankfuls - not indicative of a problem.
See less See more
Mine usually shows around 330 miles
It learns based on your driving. On my long highway trips it will go up to 390-410, but back to my daily driving it will usually average around 350-370 for me.

Also, I bought mine CPO which also means it was used as their test drive and demo car for a while. When I drove it home with a full tank of gas, the range was like 150. It adjusted over the next couple fill ups after that.
Reactions: 3
I treat the DTE as a weather forecast giving you a general good guess-i-mation; but, only about 85%-95% accurate for your exact location. The more you drive the MDX, it will give you a feel for an average driving range between fill-ups depending on your driving habits and environment. I like to always show the Trip A mileage as a double-check of my true mileage before every fill-up. I like to fill up around 1/4 to 1/3 of tank (almost the same city/combined/hwy mpgs for my hybrids).

11-12 gallons at 310-335 miles for RLX hybrid (max 390 miles Trip A miles w/ 14 gallons)
13-15 gallons at 340-400 miles for my MDX hybrid (max 470 Trip A miles w/ 18 gallons)
Totally dependent on driving habits and it’ll change over time.
In the summer (getting avg 22mpg) it usually shows 380.
Now that we are in winter it starts at 360 (avg mpg 20 due to using remote start to warm). I suspect it’ll go down as it gets colder.

it will also adjust as you go on a long trip. If you pay close attention it won’t deduct mile for actual mile.
It truly depends on how you drive and traffic conditions. I had a Cadillac CTS wagon most recently, before the MDX, and I thought something was wrong with it when I started averaging 13-15 mpg. It was just getting old, I figured. I’m getting the same with the MDX. I wfh and most of our daily driving is short trips to bring the kiddo to school, grocery, etc. Short distance, low speeds (25-45mph), lots of stops and idle time. MPG is more or less as expected when we hit the highway
It learns based on your driving. On my long highway trips it will go up to 390-410, but back to my daily driving it will usually average around 350-370 for me.
Ditto on my mileage
Hi Everyone, so this month I purchased a brand new 23 mdx Advance and I went on the test drive and it showed the gas range was at 405 miles and 2nd fill up at Costco left me at 380 miles and 3rd fill up at 365 miles which I was starting to get concerned if anyone is getting different gas range miles when filling up gas. TIA
Your estimated range is based upon the most recent MPG calculation, so if you were on the highway cruising your range on fill up would be longer than if you were in urban traffic getting poor MPG..

I'm typically at between about 18.5 and 20.5 mpg per tank over the first 25,000 miles in pretty mixed driving. It would be great if Acura offered some sort of Hybrid option in the future.
Our MDX is the child transport vehicle, so lots of short trips to daycare and the sort. With a full tank, it sometimes shows just under 300 miles of range. All those 5-10mi city driving trips takes a toll on mpg.
Our MDX is the child transport vehicle, so lots of short trips to daycare and the sort. With a full tank, it sometimes shows just under 300 miles of range. All those 5-10mi city driving trips takes a toll on mpg.
Exactly my scenario too
Mine shows around 285 miles range at each fill-up. Its horrendous! My usual city driving, it averages around 13-16 mpg.
just wondering if how do you guys started from 400 miles on your mdx's mine is a aspec 2023 since i got it new my average mpg is 18.4 mpg. now my full tank range always shows 280 miles. is this something to be concern due to some other here got 300 to 400 range
just wondering if how do you guys started from 400 miles on your mdx's mine is a aspec 2023 since i got it new my average mpg is 18.4 mpg. now my full tank range always shows 280 miles. is this something to be concern due to some other here got 300 to 400 range
Tank range should vary based on recent driving mileage. I just passed 10,000 miles recently on my non-s type Advance and have a 21.4mpg overall as shown on trip B which I’ve never reset. I’m probably 60% highway, 40% around town.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts