Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't have any experience with the SP III but I've got the 295. It's the aviation version of the SP III. It's the same housing as the SP III. It's very handy to have in the plane and then take to the rental car.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Big price declines - look out below!

Please be warned that the price is dropping drastically on GPS navigation units. The Garmin StreetPilot III unit with accessories that I purchased 3 weeks ago (April 4th) for $1,209.05 is dropping to $779.95 – including more up to date maps than I was provided with - at GPSCity:

http://www.gpscity.com/products/gar...etpilotiii.html

The 128 MB data card that I paid $259.95 for, and the unlock codes for all of the data on the Mapsource City Navigator CD-ROM disc that cost me $189.95, will be included for “free” in the Garmin StreetPilot III deluxe package starting in early June. Once you purchase and use one of these units, you can’t return it or take advantage of any 30-day price guarantee. Simply put, I am stuck paying what I did!

The StreetPilot III is an excellent unit and I really enjoy it, but watch out buying a relatively new model GPS unit because the price will likely drop drastically over a short period of time. Considering just how good the StreetPilot III is, there is no way that the Acura unit is still worth $2,000 – at least in my opinion. With respect to relative value, I’m not sure that it’s (Acura’s GPS unit) worth more than $1,000! What do you think about this?
:eek:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I don't know how good a Garmin is, but with Kenwood, Panasonic, and Pioneer after-market systems running $2500 -3500 I think the Acura system is still a good value for a factory install.

Certainly a better value than the Bose is for a stereo upgrade.

If Garmin put out a larger screen version for say $1200-1500 they could really have something. Of course to all these prices I mentioned you have to add installation (either your labor or a 3rd party).

·
Registered
88 Posts
At the last CES, Garmin said they are developing a GPS that appears as a HUD, who knows if we will see it anytime soon, but it would be eagerly welcomed, they said it may be introduced into the market by end of 2003 beginning of 2004.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
DaleB...

The argument that it would be advantageous to have a larger screen on a mobile nav unit has been made previously on this thread. Now that I have the StreetPilot III, I have to strongly disagree because a larger unit would block one's view of the road. In my view, the best place to mount the nav unit is right on the dash. This is especially true if you want to move the unit from one vehicle to another frequently because it can be disconnected from its base mount and removed so easily. Surprisingly the screen is big enough on the StreetPilot III. The only case where it is good to have a larger screen is where Acura has mounted it. If you purchase an after-market unit, go with the smaller screen. If you mount the unit on the dash, there is so little labor that it's not even worth mentioning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sandman...

Now that's very interesting. The HUD would likely be mounted right on the dash straight in front of you. I can see that this position would have a major advantage since you wouldn't have to take you're eyes off the road to see the information that it is displaying.:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: DaleB...

oceanMDX said:
In my view, the best place to mount the nav unit is right on the dash. This is especially true if you want to move the unit from one vehicle to another frequently because it can be disconnected from its base mount and removed so easily. Surprisingly the screen is big enough on the StreetPilot III. The only case where it is good to have a larger screen is where Acura has mounted it. If you purchase an after-market unit, go with the smaller screen.
Based on what you state that would mean the Garmin is fine as a stand-alone, and likely the best (and only?) in it's price class. I would maintain the Acura certainly among the best of the factory- installed units and certainly good competition for the larger after-market units which likely require some sort of customization to be practical and safe to use.

With regards to a HUD for navigation, I have some concerns. HUD was intended to provide fast information about speed, rpms, temp., etc. Not to provide a map extract that would require some degree of concentration to understand, compared to looking at a numeric display. Even though it's line of sight, studying a map would certainly present a distraction. I with hold further comment until we see what they have in mind.

·
Registered
392 Posts
JAMESHALM said:
Picture # 3 antenna
Thanks for the photo's of the install. Is this antenna included with street pilot 3 or deluxe? or is it an add on? Seems you'd need to have the antenna up on/near the windshield to get a clear view of the sky. thanks for your input.:(

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
How about this:

www.gnetcanada.com

Buy mapping software, and you're set, additionally the screen you get can be used for DVD, MP3, Wireless Internet, etc...

·
Registered
392 Posts
edepa said:
Thanks for the photo's of the install. Is this antenna included with street pilot 3 or deluxe? or is it an add on? Seems you'd need to have the antenna up on/near the windshield to get a clear view of the sky. thanks for your input.:(
Well, I never did get an answer to that posting...but not getting a navi to begin with I have had some regrets :( since day one. I think I have put that to rest with the Streetpilot Deluxe which I just got for my toy box! :D I'm not sure if I'll install near the coin tray or on the dash, but my very preliminary use of the unit on the dash showed just how good it was. The screen size is fine too. The Deluxe comes with a 128 mb card, so besides the national base map, I was able to install detail maps covering my version of the northeast with no problem...from Boston to Albany, down to New york and new jersey and then down along 95 to and including washington. It would also hold all the detail for a trip covering from New York to Miami along route 95, dropping the new england stuff for this trip. By the way, my commuter train hit 79.4 mph according to the unit, something you'd never know with a factory installed navi! TOOT TOOT :2:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi OceanMDX:

___I just looked up a 2001 Touring at 25,000 miles w/ and w/out NAVI over at Kelly’s Blue Book. $38,900 w/ NAVI vs. $38,165 w/out the NAVI for used retail from a dealer. It looks like NAVI is not as attractive to the used car buyers given its $2,000 for the new owner and $735 for it used in just 1 year …

___And for something a bit OT in regards to KBB’s Used Retail pricing. Let’s just say they are a bit off the map. More like on another planet … According to their numbers, if you had purchased a Premium back in 2001, placed 25,000 miles on it, and traded it into the dealer, the dealer could sell it to someone else for almost original retail price! With a Touring, they would get almost $1,000 more than what you paid originally! I don’t quite believe that anyone would purchase a used-year old MDX with those kinds of miles on it for > MSRP given they could purchase a year newer vehicle for less with a small wait. I guess the old adage that there is a sucker born … is still at work.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Good observations xcel...

I can only agree with your comments. In general, I think it's the options on a car that depreciate the fastest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We too tried out the StreetPilot III on our round trip to Cape Cod and very impressed with it. The only drawback we noticed was the routing caculation time was a bit long, especially when it told us "Off route, re-caculating.....". :)

Personally I wouldn't want it to be bigger since portability is its nicest feature. Besides, if Garmin can put a faster chip to help with the caculation power, give out larger memory card to hold more data, it would be a killer.

It's a really nice gadget for less than $800. :29:

torchny

21 - 33 of 33 Posts