Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

OK, I didn't order NAV and I wish I had!!!
I do love my non-NAV touring, but now that I've read up on
all the cool stuff the NAV unit does, I want one badly.
I've seen alot of posts referencing the Garmin StreetPilotIII
as a capable alternative.

Can anyone with experience with this devise post their opinions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The SP III is a great unit, but it is in a different class than the Acura/Alpine. Pros: Mobile, lower cost, easy to retrofit. works well

Cons, and i do not mean to sound negative: Slow calculation time, small screen, GPS only (so must have clear path to GPS SATs or you lose tracking), Limited map storage (small regions vice Alpine DVD), Get only 1 region with purchase--must buy additional regions, longer startup time.

Above said, I love mine. Use it on my motorcycle and wife's Miata. It's just that it does not compare with the Acura's unit---in cost or function. Would hate for you to be disapointed. If looking for Acura like performance, go Alpine or Kenwood aftermarket (couple of others as well). If you are looking for occasional mapping and route tracking, SP III is great. If you are looking for specific issues, let me know and I can give comparisons

·
Registered
38 Posts
STREETPILOT III

I put a Streetpilot III in my new X. Had Honda's Nav system in my Odyessy. Streetpilot is a much better system. When you purchase don't buy the unlock codes, instead buy Mapsource MetroGuide CDs.(you'll save money.) No unlock codes needed, and much better coverage down to streetlevel on even the smallest towns. Installed it in place of the coin holder and 12 volt outlet, nice fit. Buying the 128 meg memory chip is a little pricey but well worth it. GPSCITY.COM seems to have pretty good pricing. If you need more info let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Garmin is a great option if you want to take your GPS with you. I use mine in all of my vehicles and when I rent a car on business. I just download the current map from my MapSource CD for high detail map in the area where I am. The stock mapping system isn't bad either with exit information off of major highways like restrooms(important for kids and wives),restaurants,gas stations,etc. I also can plan a route on my laptop and download it to the Garmin in the comfort of my home/hotel/plane ride(I really couldn't see myself going into my garage in the winter and plugging in my planned route.)

Another great feature is that I bring my Garmin with me when I go Mountainbiking so I can easily just ride in the 60 acres of State Forest without fear of getting lost, gotta love those Hansel and Gretle breadcrumbs...

I would suggest testdriving an MDX with Nav and maybe buying the Garmin(for test purchase and return it if not satisfied, but beware some places do charge restocking fees) and see which you like best and better suits your needs.

Thats my 2 cents with 3 cents change...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think that the portability factor of the Garmin is its strong point. As GPS technology evolves units will get smaller and more efficient. Most people have more than one vehicle and the Garmin is perfect for moving between them. I also did not opt for the Nav because I did not feel that the extra 2K was worth it in the long run (especially resale).

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
JamesHalm

When you purchase don't buy the unlock codes, instead buy Mapsource MetroGuide CDs.(you'll save money.) No unlock codes needed, and much better coverage down to streetlevel on even the smallest towns.

Thanks for your comments for I too am considering the StreetPilot III. Just how can I buy the Mapsource MetroGuide CDs without needing the unlock codes?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Garmin GPS V

Anyone have opinions on Garmin GPS V? What are some of the main differences between the GPS V and SP III?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Streetpilot III

The Mapsource City Navigator CD comes with the Streetpilot III
when you purchase it. It requires unlock codes for the various regions. You get one unlock code with the purchase.
You can buy the Mapsource Metroguide USA from GPScity.com
for about $120.00. It has much more detail than the City Navigator, has auto routing, and mapping on the smallest of towns throughout the USA. It does not need unlock code to use.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
JAMESHALM

Thanks again for your comments and information. How practical would it be to invest in a 128 MB data card when a 32 MD card is already provided with the StreetPilot III? Would the 128 MB card really be that much more useful? Also, how important is it to get the Garmin USB data card programmer? Are there any "must have" accessories that you would strongly recommend? Could you post a photo showing the unit mounted in your MDX?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The USB programmer comes with the Street Pilot III. It's needed as the serial port is very slow. As far as the 128mb card, is concerned, it depends on how much traveling you do. A 32 mb card will hold an area the size of Texas, the 128 mb can hold about 4X as much. I'm retired and travel the US quite a bit.
So I use the 128mb for my travels and the 32mb that came with the unit is programmed with my home state of Michigan.
The cards take about 10 seconds to swap. I'll get out my camera and take a picture tomorrow and try to figure out how to post it.
I did remove the coin holder and 12 volt accessory to mount the
SPIII on the swivel mount that comes with the unit. (three screws). nothing to it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the above comments on the 32 MB card, and holding area size of texas........

32 MB may be good enough depending on how much you travel (as was said), but also depends where you live. I tried the 32 MB when I first got mine, and looked at travels in/around DC, Baltimore etc. Big cities take alot of memory. Uou will get a 32 MB card with unit, suggest you pick a travel plan you might use and look at its size. You can get to 32 MB quickly on east coast.....but you can always but the 128 later

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. As I expect to be driving from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to Nova Scotia and then over to British Columbia this summer, I guess I'll go for the 128 MB card.

:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I found these GPS systems from Garmin at Gpscity.com with 6" and 10" inch. diagonal screen and would like to know if they are made for maritime purpose or if can be use in cars. They are compatible with the Map source of the StreetPilot III, but I never heard of anybody talking about these products.
http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/newProducts.html

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Attached are three pictures. The SPIII is mounted on a swivel base(comes with it) with double sided tape (also come with it.)
The unit can swivel and lock in position from the driver to passenger if needed. The 12 volt power comes from the accesssory 12 volt outlet removed. bought a female cigarette lighter outlet from radio shack. plugged combination power and speaker into it and tie wrapped it behind the unit.
The antenna is mounted on the dash with double sidded tape.
Remove the drivers side pillar trim and drop the wire down under the dash and run it to the unit. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. It sure looks like you did a very nice job with the installation. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that the screen size of the SP III is too small and I would like something much bigger and easy to read like the 2006 and 2010 that I found in the Garmin shop site. I'm going to call Garmin on monday to see if these are made for cars also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jameshalm,

I was wondering if the SPIII fit under the coin tray area and
your great pics confirm this. I was curious, can the coin tray
and the 12v accessory port be removed in one whole unit as it appears from your pictures? I would go out to my X and look,
but my wife is out "shopping":(

Thanks for the great and informative posts everyone.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I know the answer to that one...

The coin tray comes out as one piece - like an ashtray does. The 12 volt recepticle must be removed separately.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
14 Participants
torchny
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing