Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Hey everyone, so I moved into a new home one year ago. It did not have a garage, so waited the year out.

In the process now of getting it built. Like almost 90% of the homes in my area it will be detached.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what type of flooring to go with. Been doing a lot of research, joined Garagejournal.com to help in my research as well.

Jumped on the Sherwin Williams sale last week and bought their H&C shield-crete epoxy, but may return it. Have seen people using VCT, the locking tiles, but that option is real expensve, and now, to my surprises on garagejournal.com rectified porcelain tiles. Which look amazing. An you can find tiles in clearance for under .99/sq.ft.

Can't wait for the garage to get done, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.

Curious to see what some of you guys have done in regards to flooring in your garages. How have they held up? Do you guys do work on your cars in them?
I have tried 3 different garage floors in my home of 30 years.
The first was original concrete with sealer.
The second was commercial grade vinyl in alternating black and white tiles. As with most things…looked great in the beginning…then tried everything to keep the white tiles looking clean and white. I was unsuccessful most of the time, esp where the tires traveled over. It was also very slick when wet.
Thirdly, I tried the 2 part epoxy with metal flake look. Company guaranteed that salt from Pa winters and heat from hot tires would not affect it. They were wrong on both counts.
Moved into a new home last year…..plain concrete with sealer is the best option for me.

I used a professionally installed epoxy coating. I read a lot of reviews on the DIY epoxies and they seemed to have a lot of problems. I have had mine for 8 years and it is still as good as day 1. It still gets mighty dirty in the winter but it is so easy to clean,

What do you guys do for garage flooring? Going to sort our garage out this spring and just trying to work out what to do for the floor. We have a concrete floor at the moment but when we bring in wet cars and especially cars with snow on them the garage gets wet and not very nice. Just looking for ideas as to what to do with the floor.
Oh Man, pmhip, I have the same issue. House has a 2.5 car Built in garage (runs under 3 bedrooms in our Ranch House), The house was built in 1953. he Concrete floor is Spalling in areas and some cracks too. We have the same problem, with an exception, there is so much Crap in there, we can fit 1 car (my wife;s 2016 CRV) and when they built the house (Westchester County NY), the floor should have had a drain isntalled for the matter of rain water and /or melting ice and snow on the car. So I have NOT yet begun a mission to shop a Contractor to install a new Floor (Epoxy ?), but I guess the cracks will need to be repaired and the Spalling concrete will need to be Flash coated Before installing the Epoxy Floor. However, although I have never had water seepeing in through the Floor, the melted snow gravitates toward an outside wall due to the Pitch of the floor and then the pooled water will sit there until it seeps into the concrete and dries out. Being located where I am , as a Wise Contractor that i used to finish my adjoining basement som 18 years ago or so, told me when we inquired about adding a 1/2 bath with an ejector pump (the sewer line is up overhead) : With a cigarette hanging from his mouth (he was practically a chain smoker) "No Digging In Westchester County..... You could disturb underground water flows". Put in a large closet there - go to the bathroom upstairs! ". Man was he right. A nearby neighbor did some digging for basement work, and Bingo, he disturbed ground water and now has a water problem in his basement. That contractor has passed away, but Boy I thanked him and remembered his advice.
Bottomline, I'm left with this dilemna of not being able to handle the rain and snow melts in the garage? Notwithstanding the garage Cleanout we need to do, the way the garage floor looks would detract an buyers - we are not selling anytime soon, but as two 70 year olds retired in house that is comfortable but taxes are RISING as well as rising Inflation for fixed income people, selling may be an option...

Hey everyone, so I moved into a new home one year ago. It did not have a garage, so waited the year out.

In the process now of getting it built. Like almost 90% of the homes in my area it will be detached.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what type of flooring to go with. Been doing a lot of research, joined Garagejournal.com to help in my research as well.

Jumped on the Sherwin Williams sale last week and bought their H&C shield-crete epoxy, but may return it. Have seen people using VCT, the locking tiles, but that option is real expensve, and now, to my surprises on garagejournal.com rectified porcelain tiles. Which look amazing. An you can find tiles in clearance for under .99/sq.ft.

Can't wait for the garage to get done, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.
carpet redding ca
Curious to see what some of you guys have done in regards to flooring in your garages. How have they held up? Do you guys do work on your cars in them?
I am trying to work out the best, and most value of money solution to covering my concrete flooring in the garage. Its a big garage, so things start to get expensive. About 90m 2. I have looked at painting it with a 2 pack made by a company called Watco. The only problem with this is apparently the floor needs grinding to remove the concete latence which produces the dust. Well apart from the hard work this will entail, the dust in the garage will be a lot as far as I can see garage flooring glendale. The grinding machines are not easily available either. Next up comes the various plastic tile companies, but they seem so expensive for effectively plastic. About £4000 to cover the floor. Has anyone sorted this conundrum out and found a solution? Or a reasonable source of the tiles?

I am trying to work out the best, and most value of money solution to covering my concrete flooring in the garage. Its a big garage, so things start to get expensive. About 90m 2. I have looked at painting it with a 2 pack made by a company called Watco. The only problem with this is apparently the floor needs grinding to remove the concete latence which produces the dust. Well apart from the hard work this will entail, the dust in the garage will be a lot as far as I can see. The grinding machines are not easily available either. Next up comes the various plastic tile companies, but they seem so expensive for effectively plastic. About £4000 to cover the floor. Has anyone sorted this conundrum out and found a solution? Or a reasonable source of the tiles?
Actually Sir, the Tiles idea is a good one - provided, the floor is level, and free of any unevenness. If the floor should heave, only by a little amount, the floor tiles will become loose and breakup. I think that a form of Epoxy is a better oprion. But that too needs investigation because Epoxy may contribute to Gassing. The fumes are powerful when applied.
As a story that digresses form garage floors but pertains to "gassing" is this one. Some years ago, I purchased casusal shoes from Amazon (a name brand that I don't recall now). As soon as I took them out of the shoe box, the odor was powerful. The gassing is from portions of the shoe are from man made materials. Made in CHINA. I let the shoes "air out", leaving them in our bedroom. The odor was so bad, that I had to return them 2 or 3 days later. In another example, while visiting our son away at College, we visited a Walmart store to stock up on some needs. When we wwnt into the area of the store whre they displayed Rolled up area carpetting > the gassing was so powerful and overwhelming - we had to leave !!.
I see you Pounds for $$$, are you located in Britian?

really appreciate your suggestion
Although I'm located in USA, NY, I too need to do something with my garage floor (which is a Built -in Type under 3 bedrooms in a Ranch Style House). The concrete is Spalling (Flaking & deteriorating) and cracked in a few places. I have not investigated it, but definitely need to. You can see on UT, some nice jobs done with the Epoxy - looks like commercial applications. I don't think I would Tile it? Because the Grouted joints will eventually crack. I have the add'l problem of the garage being under the bedrooms on a concrete slab, when it was built in 1953, there was no provision for draining rain water and in my case, melting snow from the car that Caked on it. It melts in the garage and seeks its own level - usually the lowest concave point on one side & corner of my garage. Homeownership always brings forth these "challenges". Post what you decide to do and the estimated costs. I'm not selling my house anythime soon, but , with those conditions prevailing , it may scare some buyers away.

I've had race deck tiles and now have professionally installed Epoxy. I love the Epoxy. The only issue is that if its wet, it's extremely slippery. But the Race Deck tiles looked great when put in but they were difficult to keep clean and good looking.

I've had race deck tiles and now have professionally installed Epoxy. I love the Epoxy. The only issue is that if its wet, it's extremely slippery. But the Race Deck tiles looked great when put in but they were difficult to keep clean and good looking.
THX for the advice and experience. With respect to my garage, "Clean & Good looking" is a rarity :(:(. It's a 2.5 Car In Tandem garage under the 3 bedrooms. Filled with too Much Stuff, including a workout bench and a Universal Gym in the rear.

THX for the advice and experience. With respect to my garage, "Clean & Good looking" is a rarity :(:(. It's a 2.5 Car In Tandem garage under the 3 bedrooms. Filled with too Much Stuff, including a workout bench and a Universal Gym in the rear.
My garage is the "3" car tandem too, although mine has a rare separate cutout for a workbench which I love. Actually like it over a standard 3 car garage. However, after using Race Deck, I just think it stops looking good when dust and grime get on it. Then you have to wash it off with soap to get it back to full color. Basically, it's like any other flooring. Maybe a different type of tile with the slots would be better than the diamond I got. But I've enjoyed the epoxy, which btw, also does the concrete on the sides up to the drywall.

Actually Sir, the Tiles idea is a good one - provided, the floor is level, and free of any unevenness. If the floor should heave, only by a little amount, the floor tiles will become loose and breakup. I think that a form of Epoxy is a better oprion. But that too needs investigation because Epoxy may contribute to Gassing. The fumes are powerful when applied.
As a story that digresses form garage floors but pertains to "gassing" is this one. Some years ago, I purchased casusal shoes from Amazon (a name brand that I don't recall now). As soon as I took them out of the shoe box, the odor was powerful. The gassing is from portions of the shoe are from man made materials. Made in CHINA. I let the shoes "air out", leaving them in our bedroom. The odor was so bad, that I had to return them 2 or 3 days later. In another example, while visiting our son away at College quartz flooring san antonio, we visited a Walmart store to stock up on some needs. When we wwnt into the area of the store whre they displayed Rolled up area carpetting > the gassing was so powerful and overwhelming - we had to leave !!.
thank you so much for your suggestion gold coast epoxy flooring

As a story that digresses form garage floors but pertains to "gassing" is this one. Some years ago, I purchased casusal shoes from Amazon (a name brand that I don't recall now). As soon as I took them out of the shoe box, the odor was powerful. The gassing is from portions of the shoe are from man made materials. Made in CHINA. I let the shoes "air out", leaving them in our bedroom. The odor was so bad, that I had to return them 2 or 3 days later. In another example, while visiting our son away at College, we visited a Walmart store to stock up on some needs. When we wwnt into the area of the store whre they displayed Rolled up area carpetting garage flooring Arizona > the gassing was so powerful and overwhelming - we had to leave !!.
also thank you for your suggestions garage flooring cincinnati

Can't wait for the garage to get done garage flooring atlanta, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.

I've seen some of you post some lovely garage floors in your car pics. Gotta look for something for my garage. It's a small double garage but I want it to look nice and practical. I live in the land of salt and sand and drive my 911 year around so garage floor needs to be cleaned out a couple of times a year specially after winter Metallic Epoxy Flooring Wentzville. Post pics and pass on advice please. Oh and if you have any idea of approximate cost just to gauge options. Thank you!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts