Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Garage flooring

8K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  helpas 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, so I moved into a new home one year ago. It did not have a garage, so waited the year out.

In the process now of getting it built. Like almost 90% of the homes in my area it will be detached.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what type of flooring to go with. Been doing a lot of research, joined Garagejournal.com to help in my research as well.

Jumped on the Sherwin Williams sale last week and bought their H&C shield-crete epoxy, but may return it. Have seen people using VCT, the locking tiles, but that option is real expensve, and now, to my surprises on garagejournal.com rectified porcelain tiles. Which look amazing. An you can find tiles in clearance for under .99/sq.ft.

Can't wait for the garage to get done, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.

Curious to see what some of you guys have done in regards to flooring in your garages. How have they held up? Do you guys do work on your cars in them?

#2 ·
I looked at all of the options and am sticking with plain concrete right now. I think each has their pros and cons and the cons seem to outweigh the pros, at least for me.

#3 ·
I'm also going through a garage floor make over, right now it is painted with regular concrete paint. I look at a few options and decided to go with the two part epoxy system with flakes added for the granite look.

#6 ·
Yes, I have covers for both cars, thought the Accord gets used more. But the garage and a new driveway will be done in a couple weeks.

If I decide to go epoxy of sealer route, I will have to let the concrete sure. Don't think I have to do that if I tile it.

Either way, not going to go with plain concrete. If anything will at least seal the concrete to give it a glossy look.

#7 ·
I had grand thoughts of a finished garage floor when I built a new one in 2009. Decided to just stick with a smooth finish on the concrete. Easy to clean. Saved the money and put it in accessories for my 11 MDX!

#8 ·
Want to put an epoxy finish on the floor or something similar but have like 5 things that are higher priority on the "to-do" list. Moved to a new home almost two months ago, concrete will do for now.

#9 ·
I want the floor to look more finished then plain concrete.

Even though it is detached it will have electrical wired out to it. Going to be insulated, and I plan on putting in baseboard heating for the winter months.

This way I can work on the cars, and detail them through the winter.

Wrapping and framing just finished up yesterday.

#10 ·
Had the same issue several years ago. Bought a product from reputed paint store with labels stating clearly it will not have hot tire issues ........ followed their recommendation but still got hot tire peels! Turned out the company sold a more commercial grade (epoxy) and sent me two cans for free to redo my floor ..... and by the way if you don't clean where your tires are regularly parked, the epoxy will yellow over time. Opted to avoid the headache of redoing the floor and bought the BLT vinyl floor covering (gray with diamond patterns like truck storage bins) sold at Costco. For a two car garage you need 2.5 rolls; they usually retail at $170 and I believe I got them on sale for $150. You can wash/hose them, take them out if you need ..... they have been quite durable. I have even put jack stands lifting cars - they do make an impression on the vinyl but no tear. YMMV

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
How's this for a garage??

Did I do good? Can be used as a bomb shelter--or zombie hideout! Finished in Sept 09.

Attachments

#12 ·
That's an 8 x 16 ft door. Back wall was 11 ft block because it is a retaining wall (12 inch block). Garage same height as house above ground level. Cost me $2500 to have rock jack hammered out for 21 x 24 ft garage--large Cat track hoe with jack hammer attachment. Quite a sight to see it work.

#13 ·
Ive been deciding what I want to do as well. I have decided not to do epoxy as my garage is not a heavy duty working area. I'm merely doing it for looks and easy cleaning.

I have decided to do acid staining or acetone dye. Topped with clear epoxy and urethane it should last a lifetime. Acid staining is pretty easy to do too.

If I had a new floor I'd probably just polish and seal it, possibly coat it with clear epoxy and urethane.

#14 ·
I've got racedeck tiles 9 years ago and still happy with them.
Race deck | Garage flooring |Race deck garage flooring | Race Deck.com

You can kind of see what it looks like in this picture.

You can just wipe off any fluids (oil, coolant, etc.) and the temperature is relatively stable (=not cold like concrete) and it's also very easy to install (along as your garage is clean with not much stuff). I think it's much better than epoxy. The only few minor draw backs are that I have to place a wood underneath the jack/jack stand to jack up the car so that it won't ding the tiles and the plastic tile will expand when they get hot from the sun. Otherwise, this tiles has been working great and if there are any damages, I just can replace the tiles (haven't had to do such yet). Also you can take the tiles with you if you decide to move.

P.S. I or any of my family members do not work for racedeck. I just happened to be a happy customer.

#15 ·
Yeah, a lot of the members over at garagejournal.com have them. Saw a few installs over there, and RaceDeck is forum sponsor there I think.

Their product does look nice, especially they're freeflow tiles. Great point about being able to take the tiles with you.

I am still leaning towards porcelain. Have some samples of this coming to my house, 24x24 good ratings across the board. Just wish they were rectified.

Ceramic & Porcelain Tile - Style: Costa Chic / Size: 24"x24" / Finish: Honed

#16 ·
Had to bump this. I ended up installing RaceDeck freeflow tiles in my garage on Saturday. So far, I really like them.

#17 ·
That looks great. FreeFlow is definitely on my list for options for sure.

Did you end up going directly with RaceDeck or a reseller?

#22 ·
I have tried 3 different garage floors in my home of 30 years.
The first was original concrete with sealer.
The second was commercial grade vinyl in alternating black and white tiles. As with most things…looked great in the beginning…then tried everything to keep the white tiles looking clean and white. I was unsuccessful most of the time, esp where the tires traveled over. It was also very slick when wet.
Thirdly, I tried the 2 part epoxy with metal flake look. Company guaranteed that salt from Pa winters and heat from hot tires would not affect it. They were wrong on both counts.
Moved into a new home last year…..plain concrete with sealer is the best option for me.

#23 ·
I used a professionally installed epoxy coating. I read a lot of reviews on the DIY epoxies and they seemed to have a lot of problems. I have had mine for 8 years and it is still as good as day 1. It still gets mighty dirty in the winter but it is so easy to clean,

#25 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, so I moved into a new home one year ago. It did not have a garage, so waited the year out.

In the process now of getting it built. Like almost 90% of the homes in my area it will be detached.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what type of flooring to go with. Been doing a lot of research, joined Garagejournal.com to help in my research as well.

Jumped on the Sherwin Williams sale last week and bought their H&C shield-crete epoxy, but may return it. Have seen people using VCT, the locking tiles, but that option is real expensve, and now, to my surprises on garagejournal.com rectified porcelain tiles. Which look amazing. An you can find tiles in clearance for under .99/sq.ft.

Can't wait for the garage to get done, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.
carpet redding ca
Curious to see what some of you guys have done in regards to flooring in your garages. How have they held up? Do you guys do work on your cars in them?
I am trying to work out the best, and most value of money solution to covering my concrete flooring in the garage. Its a big garage, so things start to get expensive. About 90m 2. I have looked at painting it with a 2 pack made by a company called Watco. The only problem with this is apparently the floor needs grinding to remove the concete latence which produces the dust. Well apart from the hard work this will entail, the dust in the garage will be a lot as far as I can see garage flooring glendale. The grinding machines are not easily available either. Next up comes the various plastic tile companies, but they seem so expensive for effectively plastic. About £4000 to cover the floor. Has anyone sorted this conundrum out and found a solution? Or a reasonable source of the tiles?

#26 ·
I am trying to work out the best, and most value of money solution to covering my concrete flooring in the garage. Its a big garage, so things start to get expensive. About 90m 2. I have looked at painting it with a 2 pack made by a company called Watco. The only problem with this is apparently the floor needs grinding to remove the concete latence which produces the dust. Well apart from the hard work this will entail, the dust in the garage will be a lot as far as I can see. The grinding machines are not easily available either. Next up comes the various plastic tile companies, but they seem so expensive for effectively plastic. About £4000 to cover the floor. Has anyone sorted this conundrum out and found a solution? Or a reasonable source of the tiles?
Actually Sir, the Tiles idea is a good one - provided, the floor is level, and free of any unevenness. If the floor should heave, only by a little amount, the floor tiles will become loose and breakup. I think that a form of Epoxy is a better oprion. But that too needs investigation because Epoxy may contribute to Gassing. The fumes are powerful when applied.
As a story that digresses form garage floors but pertains to "gassing" is this one. Some years ago, I purchased casusal shoes from Amazon (a name brand that I don't recall now). As soon as I took them out of the shoe box, the odor was powerful. The gassing is from portions of the shoe are from man made materials. Made in CHINA. I let the shoes "air out", leaving them in our bedroom. The odor was so bad, that I had to return them 2 or 3 days later. In another example, while visiting our son away at College, we visited a Walmart store to stock up on some needs. When we wwnt into the area of the store whre they displayed Rolled up area carpetting > the gassing was so powerful and overwhelming - we had to leave !!.
I see you Pounds for $$$, are you located in Britian?

#33 · (Edited)

Can't wait for the garage to get done garage flooring atlanta, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.

I've seen some of you post some lovely garage floors in your car pics. Gotta look for something for my garage. It's a small double garage but I want it to look nice and practical. I live in the land of salt and sand and drive my 911 year around so garage floor needs to be cleaned out a couple of times a year specially after winter Metallic Epoxy Flooring Wentzville. Post pics and pass on advice please. Oh and if you have any idea of approximate cost just to gauge options. Thank you!