Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
TONYSFINS said:
okay guys I understand how you feel about the survey as a ACURA SALES REP let me give our take on it. Our compensation is reflected in these scores. I have been with Acura for over 11 years , this year Acura went to a phone survey 1-5 scale. If we get a 5 we get 100% 4-1 = 0%, we need to average 97% so if one out 10 gives you a 4 then your at 90%. If you honestly have a problem with someone other than the sales rep write a letter to the GM or Acura. Don't kill the sales rep!!!!!!!! We might be spaztic about the survey, now you know why.
I agree if it's simply a problem not with the salesperson. I didn't give 3s and 4s based upon my 4-month wait or paying MSRP. I understood this was part of the process. However, if the salesperson knows that I need to sell my car or I have ordered accessories from the salesperson, I expect that (1) I will not have to beg repeatedly to get my build date and (2) that the accessories will arrive with the car. Neither of these two happened for me. I didn't think my dealer was horrible but the salesperson certainly didn't deserve all 5s either. My feeling is that this would not have happened with Lexus. Thus, very few fives on the survey. If that's unfair then complain to Acura not customers who pay for good service and then do not get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem -- my saleperson called me and asked me why I didn't give him the *best* score!!!!
I told him I did give him the best, but :
1. I just didn't give the best for the guy who handled the contract and paper work (who was trying to sell me the extended warranty and tried to convinced me that the MDX will have problem after 5 years, and I must pay $2000 for the extended warranty).
2. I didn't give a perfect score with the "delivery" question -- my MDX came with several scratches at the back bumper! And even worst, at the time of Acura called about the survey, I didn't have a committment from the dealership that they will fix it (the sales manager said he will "touch-it-up" for me! I laughed, they repainted it afterall). I told the truth that my car have scratches and the dealership is working on it. (my salesperson said "but we are trying to help you, it is not our fault...)

I guess my salesperson expect me to response I am very happy AFTER I spent $40,000 on a new car and found scratches on it.

On the other hand, my salesperson was really good before he found out the survey result -- never lied to me about the delivery date ... etc.

I agreed that while MDX is a great car, the dealership service is no comparision with Lexus. With Lexus, I was treated like VIP for every service I had in Lexus dealerships (I dealt with 2 Lexus dealership and they are both great!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a great sales rep - always honest, above board, patient, responsive, professional. I didn't, however, like the sales manager. He put on a helpful facade, but I didn't trust him or some of his answers. So, I reflected this in the survey. I hope the rep doesn't get dinged.

What about the lease surveys? I got 4 of them in the first 2 months. Long and irrelevant in some areas . . . so I trashed all but the first one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lease Survey ??

What is a "lease survey" ?? Sorry, but I don't have a clue what would be in a survey that diferentiated it from a "purchase survey" ... Thanks [it's ok to laugh, just let me do it too!!]

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
FYI - Quite funny. The April 2002 Consumer Reports has the "humor/errors section" at the back and amoung the entries is (drum roll).... an Acura customer survey. Check it out. I do not have it with me but it basically describes salesperson pressure to get a perfect survey and implies that the procedure is absurd. Enough said.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Awesome ... gotta get a copy of the April Consumer Reports [hope you're not kidding] ... they should visit this site and pick up some "customer quotes" ... that would a make a great follow up for the next issue.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
srpbep said:
Awesome ... gotta get a copy of the April Consumer Reports [hope you're not kidding] ... they should visit this site and pick up some "customer quotes" ... that would a make a great follow up for the next issue.
No, I am not kidding. I usually find those items hilarious but on this one I had already heard the punchline over and over again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think Acura needs to modify the rating score a bit to avoid the dealer pressure to get the perfect score. If what TONYFINS said is true, 5=100%, 4 to 1 = 0% is just too harsh. Acura can't possibly get a true feedback of the customer satisfaction that way. Then why not make this a true and false survey?? Why bother to separate into the catagories/departments?

I defer the first delivery 2 weeks prior to the car being delivered to the dealer. But the dealer is so crewed up that I now have 2 VIN numbers under my name, and keep getting duplicate mails, surveys, and roadside assistance cards. Imagine this non-sense!!

Is this dealer going to get all 5's from me? I think not. But neither do they deserve 0's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Text - Consumer Reports

Here's the text from inside back cover of the April 2002 issue of Consumer Reports. Makes you proud, doesn't it?

STACKED SURVEY
A New York reader received a letter from his Acura dealer saying that a survey might soon ask him to rate the dealer’s service. The dealer then complained that Acura headquarters equates a grade of “very good” with a score of 75, which, the dealer points out, doesn’t seem very good at all. Hence, the punch line: “Please consider calling me if for any reason you feel you can not grades us “EXCELLENT” on each question so that I can address your concerns to the best of my ability before you fill out the survey.”

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now I actually see nothing wrong with the way that was written. The dealer's not just begging for fives--he's asking to make things right so that can EARN fives.

And I don't think they should switch to a pass/fail survey method. Lots of people who give threes and fours would probably give a passing score, when what Acura wants to encourage is OUTSTANDING customer service. It would be hard to convey that in a survey--"Please rate your dealer either outstanding or a failure".

·
Registered
143 Posts
that's how my dealer handled it.....

During the delivery process, he advised me that I would be receiving a survey from Acura. He explained to me how important it is to him, the dealership (for allocation purposes, etc. ) AND Acura that I am 100% satisfied. He pleaded with me to let him know if there was ANYTHING that I was not completely satisfied with, to let him know so that he, or the dealership would be able to address/resolve it prior to me putting something negative on the survey that he wasn't aware of. He wanted to earn my business.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Iceman said:
Now I actually see nothing wrong with the way that was written. The dealer's not just begging for fives--he's asking to make things right so that can EARN fives.
Except that it almost defeats the purpose of the survey (i.e. giving the score you feel is justified without outside pressure). I think it implies that you need to contact the dealer first if you intend to give any scores other than 5s. Also, shouldn't the dealer be doing this at the end AND the beginning of the process instead of dodging calls during the multi-month wait and then becoming your soulmate during delivery?

I guess the problem I have with that method is that many dealers basically want to bribe you at the end (e.g. I will throw in a free oil change) in return for good scores rather than just providing good service. If I had been offered freebies in advance I would have been tempted to take them but that is not the way to get an accurate and unbiased survey.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, I didn't say anything about bribes. And you're absolutely right that the dealer should be focused on customer satsifaction throughout the process--in reality, from the moment you set foot on the lot. So if he does a poor job up until the end and then wants to know how to earn a five, I agree that it's too late.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Purchase Survey

I don't have an issue with the way charlieinnj's dealer presented the cause - I read it "if we have failed [or are failiing] in any way, we wish to correct" ... that I can work with. Didn't see a bribe here [assuming the dealer is earnest].

I do have an issue with:

(1) Trade oil change .....

(2) Oh please don't, my commission depends upon

(3) I am not responsible for the other "twits" at the dealership, so ignore them and score high ....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Service Survey

I didn't realize that the April Consumer Reports was addressing the Service Survey, I thought that it was addressing the purchase survey. I sort of like the Service Survey. This SHOULD keep dealers on their toes and COULD help fix some of the problems that are encountered. Dealers might stop:
** Gouging on 15K checkups [nail them].
** Sorry, can''t fix, too bad [nail them]
** Sorry, can't find, too bad [nail them]
** Trans 3x [nail them]
etc.

I got a Svc Survey letter and did call the dealer back and said "yup, you're going to get nailed". They said "sorry", what can we do "to fix" [e.g. change the score]. I replied "Nothing, Too Late", you will get scored what you deserve, I gave them what they deserved [well almost, no negative scores allowed]. I also told them that on the next visit they could change attitude/service [and get good scores] or we could simply repeat the process .. well the dealer DID CHANGE. No free offers, only good, honest hard work .. Now they will get good scores ....

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
A2MDXer said:
FYI - Quite funny. The April 2002 Consumer Reports has the "humor/errors section" at the back and amoung the entries is (drum roll).... an Acura customer survey.

I have that edition and yup I read it and it basically said "please consider calling me if for any reason you feel you can not grade us EXCELLENT" . Of course I had no idea what this meant since I have gotten my X ( hey look Im calling MDX,X seem like this place is rubbing off on me)yet. Would it be in poor taste if I use this survey to barter?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Would it be in poor taste if I use this survey to barter?

Warzau ... To each his own. I guess it depends on what you want.

I don't want to trade good service for freebies, I just want good service. Taking the X in for svc is a pain, taking it in for the same problem is a real pain. Soooo, to me, service is what I want.

If you have the time and patience, then barter might be right for you. IMHO, quality service adds to the overall ownership experience. If I had wanted to barter, I surely would not have puchased an MDX, may be an "Exploder" [cute name, I can't take the credit, someone else suggested it].

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
everything is negioable

I would reccommend asking for free service checkups if you fill out the survey with all excellent. My dealer offered 1 year free service for this!!!!:D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Iceman said:
I think our point, Tony, is that rather than focusing on the survey and begging for a 5, just put your effort and attention into pleasing the customer. Maybe go out of your way to ask at the end of the sales process, "Hey, was there anyone you dealt with here whom you're less than completely satisfied with? I want to make sure this is the best car buying process you've ever gone through!" Be sincere. You'll get your fives.
Yea..what Iceman said, !00 TIMES OVER.The dealers need to get a clue that MOST people will give good "scores" if they did all they can to satisfy the customer in the first place!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree. The dealer will have to bride me with good service, not free service.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts