2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI, it is kinda a mess to find, but on the Acura Owners site you can plug in your VIN to get a definitive answer on if your 2017 is affected. Seems like some are... but many are not. Mine is a 2017 that is NOT affected by this.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
FYI, it is kinda a mess to find, but on the Acura Owners site you can plug in your VIN to get a definitive answer on if your 2017 is affected. Seems like some are... but many are not. Mine is a 2017 that is NOT affected by this.
I can’t find that option. I’ve read the notice several times. Can’t find any options to check my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Scroll down a bit to this... "Wireless providers are sunsetting the CDMA (3G) wireless network that supports AcuraLink. When the sunset is complete, the AcuraLink services in this Acura model may no longer be available. To check if your vehicle is affected by the wireless sunset, enter your VIN"

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

Scroll down a bit to this... "Wireless providers are sunsetting the CDMA (3G) wireless network that supports AcuraLink. When the sunset is complete, the AcuraLink services in this Acura model may no longer be available. To check if your vehicle is affected by the wireless sunset, enter your VIN"
Thanks, mine is not effected. Built 6/17. Don’t know when the cutoff was.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With information posted in this forum and doing some research on my own, the 2017 and newer MDXs has moved onto LTE and 5G. This would lead to the 2016 being the latest MDX MY to be affected with this issue. If anyone was curious, my build date is 05/17.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Is there a way to tell if your Telematics unit was changed to the LTE version? I ask because about 3 years ago, my Acura link went dead and they replaced the unit under warranty.
It seems that there'd be a way for Acura to determine that ... via Acuralink. It's possible they might not be able to determine it but it's logical that they sb able to if they designed the system in an intelligent way. Try checking with Acuralink on this.

I don't have Acuralink so I don't know whether they can determine this via Acuralink or not but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
With information posted in this forum and doing some research on my own, the 2017 and newer MDXs has moved onto LTE and 5G. This would lead to the 2016 being the latest MDX MY to be affected with this issue. If anyone was curious, my build date is 05/17.
I’m going out on a limb here and say the since Acura specifically mentioned 2017, there may be some early 17s that are effected.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems that there'd be a way for Acura to determine that ... via Acuralink. It's possible they might not be able to determine it but it's logical that they sb able to if they designed the system in an intelligent way. Try checking with Acuralink on this.

I don't have Acuralink so I don't know whether they can determine this via Acuralink or not but it's worth a try.
my car is currently at the body shop but I will try to check the unit to see what part number is installed. I know I have the service invoice from the replacing that unit.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Dealers are no luck. Tried them yesterday and they said ask the sales people or Acuralink directly.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
So your car is not effected?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX so I will definitely be impacted. I spoke to 2 dealers. One said they have no information on changing / upgrading the unit. The other said that nothing will be available for a 2014 MDX. So do I call a 3rd dealer and hope they verify one of the other answers? Or does someone here have the answer? Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So your car is not effected?
Its not. Just type in your VIN on the Acuralink website under the compatibility and pricing section to see if yours is affected.

I have a 2014 MDX so I will definitely be impacted. I spoke to 2 dealers. One said they have no information on changing / upgrading the unit. The other said that nothing will be available for a 2014 MDX. So do I call a 3rd dealer and hope they verify one of the other answers? Or does someone here have the answer? Thanks
You currently have 50/50 on your hand. Having dealer #3 would be the best of 3. That way, you can get a clear answer. But of course, you can get said part from a salvaged 18-20 MDX and install it to your 14 with any adaptions needed.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
One said they have no information on changing / upgrading the unit.
They sound pretty passive about it - they should actively check on this through their own escalation channels, rather than maybe telling you to call Acura client relations, and they should tell you that they'll give you an update after they do the above. The update might be that Acura hasn't decided on any plan yet or has no plan in place yet but that should come from someone higher up in the Acura service organization - not the dealer's 'guess' and certainly not stop at the service advisor - who usually don't know much about anything.

Of course, I'm not running that Acura service group.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
But of course, you can get said part from a salvaged 18-20 MDX and install it to your 14 with any adaptions needed.
I wouldn't make the assumption that this component from an 18-20 MDX would work with a 14 with 'adaptations'. Do you know that it'd work with certainty - i.e. have you actually done it or seen it done? If so, what are the 'adaptations'?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts