Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

FWD Tech or SH/AWD

12K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Stacia 
#1 · (Edited)
“Goldilocks” here, shopping the 2018, and having trouble finding one that’s “just right.” Having to choose between a FWD with Technology package, or the SH/AWD. Would prefer both, but, not having luck finding it, so which route would you recommend? We live in the south; rarely deal with snow; more so rain or dry conditions.

#2 ·
Go to dealer and test drive both FWD and SH-AWD MDX. You probably don't need SH-AWD for most driving condition, but you might experience better performance (corning) with it.

Reactions: Ed19
#3 ·
Finding a tech with sh-awd would be my 1st choice. You might find one if you are willing to expand your search radius out 1/2 to full day drive.

Sh-awd is also made for dry weather if you like sporty vehicles. The tq vectoring system will make the MDX drive like a smaller vehicle with improved handling. There is only a 1 mpg hit compared to the fwd MDX. Brand new, sh-awd is a $2000 option. There will be a lower premium in the used market and prices will depend more on mileage compared to fwd -vs- shawd. One advantage with sh-awd is you get the spare tire kit with donut (only get an air compressor and "fix-a-flat" goo with fwd). Adding the spare tire kit to the fwd can cost $300-$600 if you DYI, dealership, and/or upgrade to full size spare. The sh-awd MDX will have the option to tow up to 5000 lbs once you add the trans cooler (fwd is limited to 3500lbs max).

Reactions: Krauthawk
#4 ·
the reason you pick the MDX is for the SHAWD, otherwise they're so many better options out there. the SHAWD makes it drives smaller, like a sedan than a 7 seats suv. The Tech option doesn't worth much, especially now AppleCarplay/Andriod Auto included in the Base model

#6 ·
SH-AWD makes the driving experience more fun on the road, really puts the Sport in SUV. Obviously this isn't meant to be a sports car but it certainly helps. If driving dynamics are not important to you then there's little reason to justify getting SH-AWD, unless there's a chance of you moving in the future or if you want to tow 5,000lbs.
I bought SH-AWD on the Base model and am very satisfied with my purchase. Biggest turn off from the Tech model is the 20" rims. They look great but hurt the ride quality. I've never needed to use NAV and I know how to check my blind spots so I didn't care to pay more for the features I didn't want.

Reactions: Stacia
#8 ·
I agree with most that the benefit of the SHAWD is hard to pass up. I feel that even in rainy conditions the SH AWD system simply makes the MDX safer to drive. Since you mention you live south do you ever drive on the beach at all or sandy area's? You would appreciate AWD there as well.

AWD vehicles command a higher resale value. You will see a difference in the retail ask price because of it. Base or Tech go for the SH AWD. Playing devils advocate however if you go with just front wheel drive you will have less maintenance costs because you will not need to maintain the rear differential of the SH AWD system.

Let us know what you end up with either way. The MDX is just a great fun vehicle to own.

#9 ·
I agree with most that the benefit of the SHAWD is hard to pass up. I feel that even in rainy conditions the SH AWD system simply makes the MDX safer to drive. Since you mention you live south do you ever drive on the beach at all or sandy area's? You would appreciate AWD there as well.

AWD vehicles command a higher resale value. You will see a difference in the retail ask price because of it. Base or Tech go for the SH AWD. Playing devils advocate however if you go with just front wheel drive you will have less maintenance costs because you will not need to maintain the rear differential of the SH AWD system.

Let us know what you end up with either way. The MDX is just a great fun vehicle to own.

Yes, we regularly drive to the beach & the mountains, throughout the year (outside of Covid).

#10 ·
the SH stands for "Super-Handling," and compared to other AWD vehicles I've driven (incl hondas) the AWD is definitely "I want AWD for performance" biased more than "I need AWD for traction" biased.

Don't let that make you think it's bad when you need traction though. Took mine up a decently steep hill through a foot of snow the day I bought it.

#13 ·
Hi. The SH-AWD is a no-brainer! Not only will you be safer in rain, snow and ice, but you’ll definitely have improved handling in both wet AND dry conditions (which means improved safety all around over the FWD) as Acura’s SH-AWD is one of if not the best such systems in the industry. If you can find a SH-AWD with the Tech & Sport packages, all the better because the Sport portion of it includes lower profile tires (the sidewalls of which flex less) and further improve grip in corners at only the slightest degradation of comfort. But when one weighs Safety vs Comfort, safety should ALWAYS win. BTW, mine is a 2014 SH-AWD w/Tech & Sport pkgs, so I know of what I speak. Unfortunately, Acura requires you buy the Tech pkg to get the Sport. Good luck with your search!

#16 ·
I see you already got a little snow to play in as well....bet your happy you got AWD. Nice rig!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.