Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future and current Luxury SUV's with third row seat.

2003 Acura MDX
2004 BMW X5+
2004 BMW X7
2004 Buick Rainier
2003 Buick Rendezvous
2004 Cadillac SRX
2003 Cadillac Escalade
2003 HUMMER H2
2004 Infiniti QX4 (or the full size replacement)
2003 Land Rover Discovery
2003 Land Rover Range Rover
2003 Lexus GX 470
2004 Lexus LX 470 (Toyota Sequoia based)
2004 Lexus RX 330
2003 Lincoln Aviator
2003 Lincoln Navigator
2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
2003 Volvo XC90

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
based on?

Rainier is not scheduled for EXT/XL, just regular Bravada size...

Han't X7 been canceled/replaced by X5 EXT???

Rumor is that RX330 (?350) will not have 3rd row in deference to GX470...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Re: based on?

renov8r said:
Rumor is that RX330 (?350) will not have 3rd row in deference to GX470...
I'm virtually sure the rumor is ACCURATE........Lexus will keep the RX 330 a relatively compact/sporty "on-road" SUV WITHOUT 3rd row seating (which would require it to be substantially longer)..........but, however, SOME SOURCES claim that the LIMITED MODEL of the new 2003 4Runner will have a 3rd row seat

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Re: based on?

vicpai said:

I'm virtually sure the rumor is ACCURATE........Lexus will keep the RX 330 a relatively compact/sporty "on-road" SUV WITHOUT 3rd row seating (which would require it to be substantially longer)..........but, however, SOME SOURCES claim that the LIMITED MODEL of the new 2003 4Runner will have a 3rd row seat
Which makes sense, since it's about the same size as the GX470, isn't that right?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Re: Re: based on?

MDXtrous said:

Which makes sense, since it's about the same size as the GX470, isn't that right?
Yes. IIRC the new Forerunner and the GX470 will both be based on Lexus' new SUV platform. I would think they would want to offer that third row seat for folks that are in our situation. The only reason we are buying a new SUV (more accurately we are getting a second larger one) is because we need that third row seat. I guess they are banking people will step of to a more off road capable vehicle if they have larger families...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think you may have missed a few. For example, the 2003 Ford Explorer would qualify (especially in "limited" trim level) as well as the Mercury version. Also, Ford Expedition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrPrescott said:
I think you may have missed a few. For example, the 2003 Ford Explorer would qualify (especially in "limited" trim level) as well as the Mercury version. Also, Ford Expedition.

These do not quality - not luxury branded.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now we know 2003 4Runners wouldn't have the 3rd row seat. Wondering what's gonna be the story on GX470.....

torchny

·
Registered
344 Posts
All indications are that the GX470 will have the third row. There have been a few pics of it showing the third row. The third row will split in two and fold up to the sides of the vehicle. No disappearing act there. After seeing the picture you have to wonder if it doesn't also harm visibility.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Originally posted by MrPrescott :

Originally posted by gatebill :
These do not quality - not luxury branded.
Neither is Buick. :14:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pic of GX470 Third Row

In case anyone is interested (found on the net):

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pic of GX470 Third Row with seats down

Pic #2

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Robyjo said:
Why would Toy design like this? I just don't get it...
I agree. Now I have to think twice on GX470. IMO, these 3rd row seats just take up cargo space and a hassle to use...

torchny

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I wouldn't be overly critical of the GX470's third row not being "fold flat."

The vehicle has a lot of off-roading suspension components, and a lot of mechanicals probably tucked in the frame (it is a frame-based vehicle, not a unibody vehicle). This promotes ground clearance and ensures that rocks don't smash against vulnerable parts.

That means there is no room for a seat that tucks into the "floor".

It's one of the byproducts of buying a vehicle with that type of true SUV design.

Whereas the MDX lets a lot of vulnerable components hang down significantly lower. E.g. the exhaust pipe which bends under the axle, affecting ground clearance. Granted that the MDX is not designed for serious off-roading. And this lets Acura get more clearance to put a "fold flat" third row seat.

Obviously a lot of GX470 buyers won't off-road at all, and some of them may want a fold-flat seat, but that's just not part of the vehicle's design. Oh well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
wmquam,
I have to agree with you on the design trade off Lexus decided to make to preserve ground clearance. My guess is that the GX470 will very rarely see off road duty and therefore could have handled the third row differently. But, having said that, I believe the real reason is that it shares a platform with the new 4Runner which people will likely use far more often off road since that is one of the big selling points. So, I think it is a cost savings measure for Toyota to share a platform (just like our MDX's), which in turn made improving the third row functionality unlikely to happen.

If people would like more pics of the GX470, I have a number of them I could post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I bought my 2001 MDX, we looked at the competitor's 3rd row offerings. We decided on the MDX because of the combination of 3rd row seat design, body styling, fuel economy, overall size of the vehicle, and overall luxury and price.
The 3rd row seat design is great for the occasional 1 or 2 extra family or friends that we carry about once per month. It's a little cramped but not bad for someone around 5'6". The rest of the time the seats are down and provides lots of cargo space. The design of the seat would be better if it would slide forward more and fold away to allow passengers more room to get in and out. I like the design of the 3rd row seat in the Montero Limited because of this type of design. But I don't like the rest of the truck. The side steps could be better by extending the step a little bit more to the rear of the car so there is more area for your foot to step on when climbing out.
But other than these problems, the design is better than the ones with optional seats the fold and take up the whole trunk. And it also beats getting a much bigger truck just to accomodate an occasional use seat.
You have to look at the whole package and make trade offs for what the most important features for you are.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
SRX (again)

I keep coming back to the SRX because it is my opinion that this vehicle will be MOST SIMILAR to the MDX.

In fact, the current "power option" of a V6 & V8 seem to me to be ONE WAY to address concerns for a) POWER b) ECONOMY...

The MDX is wider and taller, but the SRX sits on a longer wheelbase, and is SIGNIFICANTLY longer overall, so that 3rd seat legrooms should be "best in class".

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/futuremodels/srx/specs.html
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030106-1.htm

The SRX is slated to have an incredible sunroof, awesome suspension and many,many other features. ON TOP OF an ALL NEW platform (and historic domestic {un} reliability, I would be hesitant to be "first on my block".

IF the SRX beats the MDX on price & MPG (with the 6), I can see some REAL competition...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Renov8r:

___With an 03 2WD Yukon (I know it’s a larger vehicle) MSRP’ing at 35K stripped, I have a feeling this thing is going to be priced well south of 40K. I am guessing of course. I am sure there has to be some Caddy enthusiast sites that have quite a few more details and prices by now but this thing is not going to be cheap IMHO. On the other hand, it won’t be but a year or two and there will be $7500 rebates and dealer incentives to clear them off the lot ;)

___The one thing I do hope for and that you already mentioned for the SRX is that great GM gas mileage from some of the larger engines in their car lineup. Hopefully this thing can pull it off as well. That Vette’s 375 HP w/ 28/29 MPG Hwy (real world 30 +) is simply excellent for that kind of HP!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts