Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Here is a very interesting SUV story from NJ. You know how many of SUV drivers (of course not MDX owners :)) think that SUV is the miracle answer for snow and ice. :rolleyes:

So, there was this Montero (like mine, but a generation older) got stuck in a huge snow bank. The driver thought since he has an SUV, he can really push the gas pedal and the car miraculously will pull itself out of the snow pile. Well, maybe it would if he would use the lower 4WD mode and apply a little bit of gas and rocked the car back and forth till he got out. But this guy just "pushed the pedal to the metal". Well, with tires spinning like crazy for a while and rubbing on the snow, they started "smoking" and caught on fire and soon the whole SUV caught on fire!!! You believe that? :eek:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well at least he didn't flip the Montero over, heard those things will flip if you drive it like a maniac. :)

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
So I guess he's going to file an insurance claim, right?

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Desant,

With a story like that, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.:D :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bet the snow pile was gone after the fire.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It would be similar to a pot of water on the stove. The water won't get hotter than boiling, but the burners can get as hot as their electrical source will allow (hot enough to start a fire, easily).

·
Registered
619 Posts
:confused: Huh?

can somebody explain to me how a smoking tire in a snow drift allows a tire to get on fire?

:32:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Duh.

Tires smoke when they get hot.

Hot tires melt through the snow down to asphalt

Keep spinning and they can get hot enought to burn.

Hopefully this fellow 'went down with the ship', protectin the gene pool....

Darkly,

Ard

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ard....My pants are wet from laughing at your reply. The story sounds suspect but if it is true I would have to agree with you.:2:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I think its very possible. . . as long as the tires ignited, they could easily spread to the rest of the vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts