Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with the shift gate "maze" on the MDX. My wife had the hardest time in the world figuring out how to put the thing into drive or reverse when we went on a test drive a few weeks ago. Why not a straight shift gate (like most autos) with a release button built into the knob. Anyone else hate this setup or is it something you get use to over time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Once you get used to it, you will be appreciated. With the shift, you won't accidently push into "N" while you are driving on the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This will be a nice feature. Often, my Golden Retriever will put my car into N when he is riding shotgun.
:eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought the shift gate was a little awkward in the beginning, but in no time I began to love it. You will too.:29:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
JTM said:
Once you get used to it, you will be appreciated. With the shift, you won't accidently push into "N" while you are driving on the road.
So, you've had this "problem" with other autos?:19:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
sandman1 said:
What is up with the shift gate "maze" on the MDX. My wife had the hardest time in the world figuring out how to put the thing into drive or reverse when we went on a test drive a few weeks ago. Why not a straight shift gate (like most autos) with a release button built into the knob. Anyone else hate this setup or is it something you get use to over time.
You'll get used to it. The biggest adjustment for me was slowing my shifting speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ssMDX01 said:
I think the shift gate is great. Is one of the things that made me decide to buy the X.
Let me get this straight. You may not have bought the X if there was a straight shift gate?? This was a feature you "had to have"?

Geesh

·
Registered
72 Posts
I HATE the shift gate...

After owning my '01 MDX for 1 1/2 years, it still ticks me off every time I put it in gear. What a clunky PITA!

A smoother straight shifter with a release button (like everybody else) would be much nicer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would have to say I'm not crazy about the shifter. It's awkward.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Funky Gate Problem

jonnygoodboy said:
I had a funky gate once. It went away when I changed my shorts. :2:
Ooooh boy.... :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
The key advantage to the rather shifty gate (similar to some models of MB) is that you can shift by feel, and not take your eyes off the road by looking at the selector indicator to see what gear you are in. Might take some getting used to, but is loads of fun, especially downshifting into a turn. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
My ML320 has a straight shift and no release button, eyt I don't ever recall dropping it into the wrong gear en-route or not being able to shift without looking down.

Hmm...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Easy to get use to

I've have a similar shift on my TL. It took about a week to get used to and then I haven't thought about it since.

For someone not familiar with it, I think the gate is easier than dealing with the button on the shifter, since every button is a little different.

Don't worry about it. Not a problem.:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For someone not familiar with it, I think the gate is easier than dealing with the button on the shifter, since every button is a little different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is so hard about pushing a button? A monkey could do that! The first time my wife and I drove an X we literallly had to sit and stare at the shift gate to figure out what the heck we were suppose to do with the shifter to get it into D. Pushing a button is very intuitive. Making your way through a maze is not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A gentle push forward or reverse is all it takes to move it to the desired gear. But, if you are hoding the shift knob and trying to move it left and right thru the gate you'll likely have a problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think it depends if you ever drive manual stick shift car before.
It helps a lot if you had driven manual because you already used to shift like this. I have no problem shifting because my previous daily drivers for the past 14 years are manuals ( I am 28 years old
:D )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts