Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone install the Fumoto quick oil drain valve on their MDX. I happen to have one that someone gave me and I’m debating whether or not to put it on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My biggest debate with it was the cost of it. It’s really easy to loosen the drain plug so I never could justify the expense. If someone gave it to you and it’s the right one I’d install it at my next change 100%

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most other forums I visit, this valve debate is analogous to "which oil is best?" threads. As Localbar mentioned, you have the "how hard is removing a 17mm bolt??" (me) and the Fumoto Fanatics that swear the 8 seconds it saves is like never having to do an oil change ever again. All the crappy parts of an oil change remain; disposing of the used oil, cleaning the oil filter mess, crawling around on the ground, making sure you don't overfill. I don't get it, but I guess...I don't get it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
For an engine with the filter on top, I could see an argument for a drain pan free oil change if you tube the valve direct to a container. But normally the oil filter mess is worse.
The real value for these type of valves is for places with no fill plug, where you can pump fluid back in.

·
Registered
644 Posts
solution in search of a problem. They were originally designed for marine applications where a drill motor pump was needed to drain the oil. The drain on many inboards can be down where no one can get to them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ why the hell guy above is using jack stands while the MDX is on ramps and wheels chocked???
The ramps are rated for 12,000 pounds, roughly twice the capacity of 3 ton jack stands, don't make any sense.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been using the same ramp for years, and I start using jack stand for additional safety because my older cousin drove off the ramp and broken my right ramp, part of the structure was broken, it is still holding good, but just for safety, I will need to put jack stand underneath...:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, drove over ramps, damaging the ramp. I bought a pair of used Rhino ramps with cut mark (previous owner drove off) on one of them. I made the same damage on the other one, both look identical now, LOL 😁

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, drove over ramps, damaging the ramp. I bought a pair of used Rhino ramps with cut mark (previous owner drove off) on one of them. I made the same damage on the other one, both look identical now, LOL 😁
LOL, noooo, I never drove off ramp, my cousin was freaked out, because his dashboard was lighting up like Chrismax tree, but after driving for a short period, everything back to normal.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had one on my 2006 MDX since 2012 and around 200 000 KM (now at 423 000 KM - so impressed with this SUV, even the A/C is original and still blows icy cold), with no problems (it's never opened in snow or whatever and I live in a snowy climate - the valve has to be pushed past an indent before you can open it).

For me, I like the fact that I can attach tubing to the valve and drain directly into the empty oil jug I saved from the previous oil change. No need to drain into a pan and the associated mess of emptying the pan and cleaning it etc. Haven't got around to installing one on my 2014 MDX or my 2005 TSX for some reason (getting cheaper as I get older??).

·
Registered
523 Posts
For me, I like the fact that I can attach tubing to the valve and drain directly into the empty oil jug I saved from the previous oil change. No need to drain into a pan and the associated mess of emptying the pan and cleaning it etc....
They sure don’t make ‘em like they did in 2006. These MDX’s are American made now.

This is exactly why I want the valve - to drain directly into a jug but what has prevented me is I don’t have a jug large enough for each drain since the MDX takes about 5.7 quarts. I can save up gallon milk containers but then I have to babysit the flow so that there’s no overflow.

The worst part of the DIY oil change is cleaning up. Draining directly into a container will really improve that part.

Thanks for reminding me. I’ll put it on my Christmas list for things my kids can get me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just a thought . . . with this thing screwed into drain hole, the lip gets higher permanently, the amount of dirty oil drained maybe less. The difference is probably minimal, but nevertheless still there. When I do the oil & filter change, I always want to drain until the last drop, drain as much as possible. This fact alone outweighs the convenience this plug offers, at least for me.

As many have pointed out, the real mess is the filter change. Just tried the Form-a-Funnel yesterday for the first time, it worked great, not a single drop was spilled. Plastic bag method works somewhat but leaves me guilty feeling.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is exactly why I want the valve - to drain directly into a jug but what has prevented me is I don’t have a jug large enough for each drain since the MDX takes about 5.7 quarts.
Wow, I didn't know third get takes more than a quart than the second gen. I thought the engine is smaller, how come?

·
Registered
385 Posts
They sure don’t make ‘em like they did in 2006. These MDX’s are American made now.

This is exactly why I want the valve - to drain directly into a jug but what has prevented me is I don’t have a jug large enough for each drain since the MDX takes about 5.7 quarts. I can save up gallon milk containers but then I have to babysit the flow so that there’s no overflow.

The worst part of the DIY oil change is cleaning up. Draining directly into a container will really improve that part.

Thanks for reminding me. I’ll put it on my Christmas list for things my kids can get me.
Yes, the 5.7 capacity is problematic. You will have to close the valve at a certain point and put a new empty jug in it's place. My 2006 is 4.3 litres, so a 5 litre jug or even a 4.4 or 4.76 (yes we have the weirdest sizes in Canada) work well. I really like the 4.4 jugs, because I just pour the whole thing in the engine and don't worry about the extra 100 ml.

Speaking of capacity, what is it with these engineers? Why not make capacity an even 6 quarts in the 3rd gen, or 4 or 5 or whatever? It would be so much easier for oil changes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts