Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For FWD and Hybrid trim owners, if you are looking to add spare tire, it is an EASY 5~10 minutes DIY job.

For the spare tire hoist installation steps with full size spare:
Inspect and clean these 5 holes as necessary:
Install spare tire hoist with the 5 bolts included with the spare tire kit. Torque the bolt to 16 lb-ft
Remove the tire hoist cover and use wheel nut wrench with the jack handle to lower cable
Before raising the tire, make sure bracket position is center
Tighten the spare tire hoist and put everything back

I will most likely purchase a wheel cover to protect the spare tire rim next. :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Did you add TPMS to the spare? Are you going to do a 5 tire rotation? I air my full size spare at 45 PSI so I don't have to check it that often. I feel so much better have a full size spare. I still kept my air pump in hatch when I added my full size spare to my hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you add TPMS to the spare? Are you going to do a 5 tire rotation? I air my full size spare at 45 PSI so I don't have to check it that often. I feel so much better have a full size spare. I still kept my air pump in hatch when I added my full size spare to my hybrid.
The TPMS is included when I purchased the rim. I am not planning to do 5 tire rotation this time, that is why I went with decent used Pirelli, instead of matched (new) Continental tire for $60 (mount and balanced included). I also keep the air pump in the car, just in case.......

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking for a full size tire and rim. Where did you get yours?
I got the rim on ebay (Acura dealer from Annapolis, MD) and spare tire kit from Bernadi during Thanksgiving Black Friday (free shipping).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got the rim on ebay (Acura dealer from Annapolis, MD) and spare tire kit from Bernadi during Thanksgiving Black Friday (free shipping).
similar. ebay has lots of OEM takeoff rims at reasonable prices, then off to dealer for the spare tire kit, and discount tire for a spare full sized tire.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
76 Posts
Last two times I ordered something on ebay I got scammed. Rim was bent and the other had a crack, neither of which was disclosed in the listing. Took forever to get ebay/paypal to return my money on the one, and was denied on the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to do the same thing with my 2020 Hybrid Advance. I am trying to order parts from curryacuraparts.com as they are somewhat local to me. Unfortunately they are out of the part number that is specified for the hybrid ( 06421-TZ5-A61). There seem to be other part numbers ( 06421-TZ5-A70 ) that look similar, except they are associated with 18" wheels. Given that I want a full sized spare anyway, is it safe to assume the rest of the kit is safe to install?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am trying to do the same thing with my 2020 Hybrid Advance. I am trying to order parts from curryacuraparts.com as they are somewhat local to me. Unfortunately they are out of the part number that is specified for the hybrid ( 06421-TZ5-A61). There seem to be other part numbers ( 06421-TZ5-A70 ) that look similar, except they are associated with 18" wheels. Given that I want a full sized spare anyway, is it safe to assume the rest of the kit is safe to install?
While the hybrid may show a different kit, I just picked up the kit for the non hybrid, it has the hardware, donut spare, lift mechanism and lug wrench. Worked fine for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I believe the only difference between the various kits is the replacement door jam sticker with tire size information.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe the only difference between the various kits is the replacement door jam sticker with tire size information.
I agree with you, it is most likely the sticker info difference between the two part numbers (unless the donut rim size is different as well). But since I put on FULL size spare, I didn't bother to replace the sticker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts