Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I covered my FS spare and took a picture.
Someone was concerned about the cover melting from the muffler. But I guess if it did, I would burn my hands when changing a flat. This should keep the wheel much cleaner for the few thousand miles before it's rotated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DaleB ... Where did you get the cover?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
DaleB,

That's looks really good. Yup, where did you get the cover? I originally brought up the heat issue, but I think that's what that metal plate is for to separate the spare from the muffler. Just let me know if ever your car catches fire;) :p :D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
srpbep said:
DaleB ... Where did you get the cover?
I am sorry, did not even bother saving the receipt. It was all of $12 I think.
Just do search on 'tire covers' there are quite a few.
I got a size 29" diameter. But I think they are really made for 70 series tires, and not lower profile like 65 or lower.
It fits very tight in the width direction. But does make it over the shoulders so is fairly well sealed at the top of the wheel.

It will likely stretch with time, if it doesn't catch fire first!
I figure it's best to have it undersized than oversized and too loose.
It's fairly heavy vinyl and has a strong elastic cord (similar to the cord on our cargo nets). It's also lined in flannel type stuff.
You can even get one with a tweety bird on it!
:9:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Hey DaleB, more info please

Can you give a little more details about the cover?

Is it "solid" across the top? i.e. did you have to put a hole in it to mount it?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It only fully covers one side of the tire, in this case the bottom as you see in the picture.

At the top it has an elastic band around the circumfrence and only extends about 3" from the edge of the tread.

Since it does not fully cover the top of the tire, no need to make a hole for the cable. I hope that explains it better.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yea thanks

I was wondering about protecting the wheel's finish as it rests against the bottom of the car. At first I thought your cover was on "upside down" hence my question regarding making a hole.

How does the finish of your wheel look? Does it NEED protection? I have not had mine off since putting it on many months ago.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dale, if you are going to use your spare in the rotation cycle, why do you need to keep it clean in the meantime? Your other four tires/wheels are not covered. (Just wondering your thougths on this.) When I put on my full size spare, I did have some concern about road hazard damage, but ultimately decided that dealing with it was more trouble than it was worth. I think your cover will protect against this, to some extent.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I guess I sort of echo wait4mdx thoughts

As my previus post states my concern is more with the finish of the wheel regarding where the wheel and the bottom of the MDX meet. I originally ArmourAlled the tire real well when I put it under there.

I suppose I ought to check it out:rolleyes: ; fit, finish, tire pressure, more ArmourAll, etc.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The other wheels get fairly regular cleaning, the rim is up against the bottom of the vehicle sealed quite well by the tire's sidewall. But I figure dirt would accumulate on the inside of the rim.
I did spruce it up before installing it. When I rotate it, I should have to only give it a quick spray and hose it off. I will time it with a car cleaning operation, so the tire that takes it place will already be clean.
I guess I got a bit anal about the whole thing, but then it is the rear of the car ! :2:

BTW I use OneTouch foam spray for the sidewalls, I don't think it lasts quite as long as some of the others, but it is so easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think one more concern that everyone should have is that for some reason, the tire does NOT mount flush against the top. If you take out the spare or the full-size spare, you'll see an indentation in the tire itself made by some metal piece that sticks out of place. My brother first noticed it on his, and I confirmed it when I replaced my donut spare. We've put a piece of old carpet there so that it doesn't cause further damage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question: is there any problem with using carpet for this purpose? Would there be a tendency for the carpet to hold moisture and end up with molds or mildew which might etch the surface of the wheel?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sar10 said:
Question: is there any problem with using carpet for this purpose? Would there be a tendency for the carpet to hold moisture and end up with molds or mildew which might etch the surface of the wheel?
If you have that concern, make a disk out of acrylic plastic. Say, about 1/4" thick. Does not even have to be round, as long as it provides a flat surface for the tire to rest against. Drill a good size hole in the middle for the cable and you've eliminated the indentations.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just wondering how much the full size wheel would cost?

I would like to get one for spare also. ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
When I dropped our temp spare to replace with our new full size, I noted a big "dent" in the sidewall [guess I was not the first]. I stole MDXtrous's idea and cut a circular "spacer" from indoor/outdoor carpet that now sits between the floor and the top of the tire.

MDXtrous, please forgive me, but I think someone once said imitation is a form of flattery :29:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Will4271 wrote:

I would like to get one for spare also.
The MDX wheel has a list of somewhere around $250.00.

Hondacuraworld.com regularly sells the rim for $200.00 which includes shipping.

I believe that the rim is still on "Group Buy" from Hondacuraworld for $180.00.

Additionally, Hondacuraworld sells the tires as well. The Touring tire is a Michelin which Hondacuraworld sells for $142.00 [I think] which also includes shipping. Not sure the cost of the Premium tire [I know it is a lot less].

Hope this helps ... by the way, suggest you look at the Hondacuraworld web site before you order any accessories ... everyone swears by Tim [Hondacuraworld] including me ... just look at the gazillion posts and you'll see

PS -- Welcome, enjoy your MDX and enjoy visiting this site

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Will4271 wrote:

I would like to get one for spare also.
Will4271 ... Oops, sorry, there is another option ... Try looking under classifieds, there are frequently rims or rim/tire combos for sale ... If you get lucky, you can get a full size spare [rim/tire] at a REALLY GOOD PRICE ... happy hunting

1 - 20 of 70 Posts