Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 MDX with technology package I purchased from an Acura dealership, it came with black rim tires. I was told it's like $500+ just to buy a rim and then another $200 for the full size spare tire. Does anyone know what the best/cheap way about being able to store a full size tire underneath? I've attached an image of my current tire/rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tire price sounds about right and so is the wheel price. Do not forget that you also need a TPS (sensor) for that spare so your TPMS (system) is not throwing a caution.

My question is, why do you need a spare to look just like the rest? If it is indeed your preference, then you would have to pay around $400 from an online dealer for a new OEM Wheel.
If you can settle for a reconditioned wheel, then this >> https://www.autorimshop.com/acura-mdx-2016-19-wheel-rim-71820.html which is not full gray, but matches the design of your current wheels. Get the sensor and tire and wrap it up for under $500.

You can also go the totally other route, which is buying aftermarket wheels, tires and TPS sensors from DiscountTireDirect.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so do you think I should just buy the tire and not another rim and store it at home and then just purchase a donut to put under the car so that if I get a flat, use the donut and then put the new tire and existing rim on it at a tire store? I'm just trying to find out how I can match existing tires since they are brand new and if I need to replace it without having to spend so much money.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
so do you think I should just buy the tire and not another rim and store it at home and then just purchase a donut to put under the car so that if I get a flat, use the donut and then put the new tire and existing rim on it at a tire store? I'm just trying to find out how I can match existing tires since they are brand new and if I need to replace it without having to spend so much money.
Why would you just buy a tire to have laying around the house? It makes no sense. Buy a donut or full size. Your preference. Then if by chance you get a flat. Which is rare,then it can’t be fixed,which is rarer. Then buy a full size tire to replace it. Why would you buy a full size tire if you aren’t going to use it as a spare in case of a flat? Some people over think simple problems.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If your MDX has a compact spare, a full size spare wheel/tire will mount in the same place.

Unless you plan to tow a trailer cross-country and/or tour the outback far from services, I wouldn't bother with a full-size spare.

If your MDX is FWD and it didn't come with a compact spare, a kit is available with the necessary winch, tools, and rim. A compatible Kumho brand tire can be purchased from Discount Tire or Tire Rack ( for instance ) for around $100.

Don't stress about matching tires. In a pinch, a "similar type" tire from another brand could be used as a replacement. But the OEM tires aren't rare; they should be available in a day or two just about anywhere. Tire manufacturers don't discontinue tires very often, and even if they do, some similar model will usually replace it. Not to mention "back stock" is often available long after a tire is no longer manufactured.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Buy a donut you are only going to use it for a day until the tire is fixed/repaired! Why spend an outrageous amount on a full spare! So you have three flats in the vehicles life span. Hard to justify the expense for a full spare that you might use 2-3 times briefly!

·
Registered
541 Posts
As said earlier, if you are towing you need a full-size spare: the space saving spares are not rated for that load. Personally I think the the air pumps with goop that are shipped with FWD versions are a poor solution, and if you have that either buy a spare tire and tools or at least remember to replace the goop regularly, as called for.

There are some MDX owners that want custom rims and sell their OEM rims (often still new) on fleaBay, so you can get a matching rim for far less than Acura's price. They are available on Amazon as well. Also there are a lot of owners that replace the stock tires when new - I bought one from a local Michelin dealer. Thus getting a full size spare, from owning a space-saver, can be quite affordable. But then you need to sell the space-saver, and fortunately there are FWD owners that want them. Everyone wins!

You do not need to buy a TPMS sensor for the spare unless you plan on long-term use of the spare, which is probably not a great idea. The wear level on the spare is unlikely to match the other tires, which causes issues with AWD clutches IIUC (why you are encouraged to replace all 4 tires at the same time). It's OK to ignore the TPMS warning until the damaged tire is repaired.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The donut is not ideal either for driving on for that matter either as it is a different diameter! This is why they are not recommended for any extended driving or excessive speeds! Have no idea how you would tow with a donut in which case i suppose a full spare needs to be made available in these situations!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Somewhere I read a warning to not tow with the donut, possibly on the tire itself or one of the stickers on the car.

BTW if the donut is replaced with a proper spare you might want to consider ordering the appropriate sticker for the drivers door to reflect that. I did; not very expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just replaced the donut with a full size spare. However, when I pull it into place, I don't get the "click" that you get with the donut when it is fully secured. Is this something that I should be concerned about, or do I just need to check it every few months?

·
Registered
541 Posts
My guess: the donut spare has a very small tire, and the rim was hitting something when pulled into place. The full size tire/wheel doesn't make that sound because the tire hits the top of the well before any metal.

As for checking it, I recommend pulling the spare up with the stem facing aft so that it is easy to reach - because of course you are going to be checking it every few months, right? A spare isn't of any use if it is flat. OTOH you should probably carry an air pump just in case. BTW if the small donut spare goes flat and pulls off the rim you might not be able to use it until a tire shop mounts it. Donuts are such a PITA.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I just added a full size spare to my 19 sh-sh-awd. I had the dealership install the spare tire kit minus the donut spare at purchase. I purchased the 20" Berlina rim ($210) and Conti CrossContact tire ($80) on eBay. I wrapped the spare in the bag Discount Tires used after they mount and balanced. Purchased an universal spare tire cover on Amazon, $15, to cover the tire to hide and keep cleaner under the MDX. Combo worked extremely well for my 11 MDX with a full size spare for the last +5 years.

Amazon spare tire cover:
Spare 1.jpg Spare 2.jpg Spare 3.jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
This is pretty simple, go get a used oem rim with tire from salvage place. I bent my rim after running thru a pothole, and new rim costs $300 online while the used rim which looks perfect, but only costs $100

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 MDX with technology package I purchased from an Acura dealership, it came with black rim tires. I was told it's like $500+ just to buy a rim and then another $200 for the full size spare tire. Does anyone know what the best/cheap way about being able to store a full size tire underneath? I've attached an image of my current tire/rim.
You can buy the OEM wheel off that auction site for about $240 or so. TPS for about $20. I bought for my 2016 off there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anyone tried leaving the TPMS sensor in the spare tire? Wondering if the car would confuse it for one of the rear tires...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I just left off TPMS on my full size spares on my 11 & 19 MDXs. I figured it might pick up the spare depending on how the tire is rotated under the MDX. A person on the 07-13 MDX had this issue with his full size spare w/ TPMS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you get the the lift cable to pull the full size tire? Did you remove the hub so that the attachment would fit?

I just added a full size spare to my 19 sh-sh-awd. I had the dealership install the spare tire kit minus the donut spare at purchase. I purchased the 20" Berlina rim ($210) and Conti CrossContact tire ($80) on eBay. I wrapped the spare in the bag Discount Tires used after they mount and balanced. Purchased an universal spare tire cover on Amazon, $15, to cover the tire to hide and keep cleaner under the MDX. Combo worked extremely well for my 11 MDX with a full size spare for the last +5 years.

Amazon spare tire cover:
View attachment 113233 View attachment 113234 View attachment 113235

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The plastic attachment on the end of the cable fits perfectly inside my full size spare. I just have to angle the plastic piece vertical to insert and then turn horizontal to fit. The cable hoist has no issue pulling up the full size spare or coming loose and needed to re-tq overtime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts