Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Full Size Spare or Not?

  • Have the spare as ordered from Dealer

    Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Switched out to a full size spare

    Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Thinking of switching to full size eventually

    Votes: 55 39.6%
  • Had to use the factory spare once, wish I had changed to full size

    Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Doesn't bother me at all

    Votes: 33 23.7%

  • Total voters
    139
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm considering geting a full size spare on the MDX, I'd be interested in knowing how many others have gone this route, or intend to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
I have mine already, waiting for my X on Saturday. I will add it with the other accessories. Others are not that interested in a 5 wheel rotation, but that's what I plan to do. That will give me longer tire life. I would not bother if I did not think the tires are worthwhile using for a long time. I have seen very good reviews and comments on the Michelins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaleB said:
I have mine already, waiting for my X on Saturday. I will add it with the other accessories. Others are not that interested in a 5 wheel rotation, but that's what I plan to do. That will give me longer tire life. I would not bother if I did not think the tires are worthwhile using for a long time. I have seen very good reviews and comments on the Michelins.
A 5 tire rotation, I never thought of using it for that purpose, sounds like a good idea. For that alone it would be worth the additional expense. About how much extra did it cost in accessory for the full size spare?

Also, is there a locking mechanism for the spare, full size or not. I've heard stories of other SUV owners having their spare stolen from the underside of the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
crete said:

Also, is there a locking mechanism for the spare, full size or not. I've heard stories of other SUV owners having their spare stolen from the underside of the vehicle.
At least on the '02, you access the mechanism to release the spare via a little compartment on the sill area of the rear hatch. The hatch has to be open to get to the compartment, so you basically need a key. I think "need a key" fits the definition of locking. You can't get to the spare without the keys unless you cut the spare out of its bracket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I also want a full sized spare...

I really don't understand why this wasn't included since the compartment accomodates a full sized tire. I think the 5 tire rotation is a great idea! Also, it would not hurt to have a spare touring rim. I messed up a rim once when younger and stupid!:rolleyes:;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,255 Posts
If anyone's interested in a "scratch and dent" rim (that's not too bad, condition-wise), let me know....I have two, both touring. Half price :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
One of the first

I am much more comfortable taking the X out on the road with a full size spare.

I drove to Lubbock and back yesterday (1016 miles); I would not want to do stuff like that on the donut; donuts are for eating;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jonnygoodboy said:


At least on the '02, you access the mechanism to release the spare via a little compartment on the sill area of the rear hatch. The hatch has to be open to get to the compartment, so you basically need a key. I think "need a key" fits the definition of locking. You can't get to the spare without the keys unless you cut the spare out of its bracket.
The stories I've heard are that most of the suv owners (Nissan, Toyota) have wheel locks except for the spare underneath. So theives are using the extra clearance under the vehicle and ripping out the holding brackets to get the spare wheel.
Apparently, owners need to put a wheel lock on the spare as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
last year, at roughly 3K I had a flat. replaced with the 'doughnut' to get home. after i fixed the tire i noticed the truck was pulling left quite a bit. i had guys at tire shop recheck pressure/balance, even re-rotate tires and, later, a full wheel alignment, so i am 99% sure the 'doughnut' screwed it (1% i attribute to some old discussions about the quality of GYs and imperfections in their thread)

later, i bought a full-size spare (it fits as it SHOULD HAVE been there). in a couple of weeks after i had a tire blowout (hit the curb). smiled at misfortune, but was much more confident with the full-size spare (plus it took me about 10 min - i was a pro by then :rolleyes: )!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
crete said:

The stories I've heard are that most of the suv owners (Nissan, Toyota) have wheel locks except for the spare underneath. So theives are using the extra clearance under the vehicle and ripping out the holding brackets to get the spare wheel.
Apparently, owners need to put a wheel lock on the spare as well.
it takes just about the same amount of time to remove the lugs with the lock as without - all you need is a different type of wrench - another $$ down the drain in my opinion... same as autoclub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
yeah it's more money, but it's difficult to get the autoclub when you're in the middle of West Texas or off-roading somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Found a deal for base wheel and tire (4000 miles) from another ORGer for $150, so I could not pass it up. Still happy I got it for that one time I'll be 500 miles away from home on a Sunday;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Doughnuts and SUV's should be mutually exclusive

A $40,000 SUV without a full size spare is just plain stupid. How can you possibly think about off-roading even to the degree recommended for the "X" without a full size spare tire. No way!! At least, not in Texas. We've got to many obstacles that can give tires more than they can handle.

I seriously doubt Acura believed the MDX would be taken off of paved roads. Even if that were true, this vehicle needs and deserves a full size spare.

I got one in transit from Tim and the Michelin tire in my garage.

What do you think are my chances of getting the dealer to take the doughnut off my hands for service consideration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
My much less expensive Jeep Grand Cherokee came with a full size spare and a real roof rack (along with auto lights, etc.) that should be standard on this type of a vehicle.

I picked up my MDX a few days ago in St. Louis and had a five hour drive back to Memphis. Stayed overnight about 100 miles south of St. Louis and low and behold, when I left the next morning I discovered I had a screw in the right rear tire. I tried out the Roadside Assistance with less than 150 miles on the MDX! Bottom line--the donut worked fine to go the 3 miles to get the tire fixed, but I'd hate to have to drive more than 50 miles on it.

I'm now in the market for a full sized spare!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't think of another SUV in the same class as the MDX that has a doughnut for a spare.

Anyone know of one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Just got my 'X. Still haven't broken it in . . .
Sitting on the fence on this one, 95% sure that we will not go off pavement, but may see snow . . .
Will have to see if price of another touring rim + michelin is worth the initial investment. From what I am reading in these posts, the full size will fit easily in existing spare compartment ? :confused:
Could this be a possible GB for newcomers like me ? :2: :cool: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
"in" is a relative term...

socalJD said:
Just got my 'X. Still haven't broken it in . . .
Sitting on the fence on this one, 95% sure that we will not go off pavement, but may see snow . . .
Will have to see if price of another touring rim + michelin is worth the initial investment. From what I am reading in these posts, the full size will fit easily in existing spare compartment ? :confused:
Could this be a possible GB for newcomers like me ? :2: :cool: :2:
The spare is under the rear cargo area, and yes, there's room for a full size (that's where you'd need to stick the flat after all).

I would guess the Acura folks asked folks in focus groups whether they prefer the full size tire or a "smaller easier to move temporary spare" and (sorta like the Quizno commercials--) folks probably said "why the heck would I want to wrestle a big ol' tire"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
What does a full size spare (touring) cost? And where can I buy one? Checked Tim's site but didn't see it there.

Thanks

-Xaqti
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top