Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very complimentary 1-page article in this week's AutoWeek about the 2003 MDX. Compares it favorably against X5, others. Mainly emphasizes technical changes for 03, like VSC, throttle-by-wire, more power and different transmission. Interesting commentary on production numbers and exclusivity. I'll post more later.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nice article, and especially interesting on keeping the production numbers down under the demand for the vehicle. Believe there is one minor error on the HP increase as the 2002 had 240 HP(not 220 HP as article states).

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well the editor/writer needs to get a new job. Jeez! Are we talking professions here? I doubt it. SIGH. :rolleyes:

First, don't get your numbers messed up, 220HP? I hate when I see things like that. To make matters worse he says "A 40 percent exhaust resistance reduction is responsible for the bump". ERR NO!! That _contributes_ to the 20 HP bump but certainly isn't the sole factor.

Then he says that Acura says it will drop 0-60 times by 1/2 a second. Also inaccurate. Acura said 0.4 seconds. If u wanna make statements, make em reliably.

In addition, he mentions that max torque doesn't come in as early as before (3000 vs. 3500 rpm) and that is complete crap. Ok ok, shame on Acura/Honda for publishing it wrong, but regardless, this is your career, your profession, get it right. I am referring to the graphs for the 2003 engine. They are in your brochure's for God's sake. Take a look at them closely. As u can see at 3000rpm it already develops max torque.

Last but not least, it says "The 2003 MDX is on sale now with a base sticker of $36,200 including freight. Add Acura’s improved, third-generation navigation system and factory installed DVD, and the price escalates to $42,500."

NO! An outsider reading this will think that the price of the NAV + RES = 42.5K - 36,200K !!! What about the Touring package Mr. Professional columnist? Geez. Who hires these people?

Although I clearly think (well, it's a fact) that this is a terrible article, thanks for posting it anyway! And they wonder why I didn't renew my subscription. Sheesh. :mad:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Is it just me or.. is auto week always seem to be smoking weed?

I think they always rate the American cars much more then it is.. and lowers Acura/Honda or even Bez as much as they can..

Hate it..
:1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts