Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Thanks, but it is different on the TL then.

TopDog said:

"your Acura is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasolinewith a pump octane of 91 or higher."
"Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional, mettalic knockingnoises in the engine which will result in increased engine performance."
"we recommend gasolines containing detergent additives that help prevent fuel system and engine deposits."

I think you meant to copy down DEcreased engine perfromance.
In any case, I think it's been established that all modern fuels contain additives, even regular. Which only makes sense for cars that never need premium. And some of those vehicles are luxury coaches.
Also, modern engine systems with knock sensors will detect detonation before you ever hear it.
I think they are trying to convey a concept, if not an accurate statement.

·
Registered
122 Posts
D'oh!!!

D'oh!!! Good catch! :eek: I edited the post.

The last line about the argument raging on will have to stay. Some will always use premium, and others will only use it under certain circumstances. I think I fall into the former rather than the latter category. Good points by all sides though... Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Hey kid the wife will love the compliment

mdx_kid said:
... but mind you that there is no load other than me or my wife.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There have been several recent studies of the impact of running regualar grade fuel, 87 octane, vs 91 octane in several make and models of cars, both naturally aspirated and turbo charged. The conclusion reached is that modern cars WILL adjust timing to compensate for lower octane fuel. The only result noted in the test is that there can be a drop in performance when running lower octane fuel. There is no difference in the amount of energy in 87 octane vs 91 octane so gas mileage is the same. There were a few cases where performance and fuel economy were BETTER with 87 octane which surprised the testers. Conclusion: run 87 octane and it will not hurt your engine as the ECU will adjust timing on the fly as the knock sensors do their work. More important than octane should be the level of detergents in the fuel to keep the injectors and valves clean. I run 87 octane in my 2016 MDX and only upgrade to 91 octane when towing. 60k Miles and no impact on mileage or noticeable impact on performance in town or the highway. Use of premium is a waste of money unless you have chipped your vehicle or altered the air fuel mixture mapping to improve performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
According to the official Acura website, each Acura model recommends using premium 91-octane-fuel. When a vehicle manufacturer requires using premium fuel, it is because that particular vehicle’s fuel system is designed to work best with higher octane gas.

That is most likely to happen if using regular causes severe engine knock or pinging (premature ignition of the fuel, also known as detonation) that damages the pistons or other engine parts. Using the wrong gasoline may cause other problems, like decreased fuel economy and engine performance.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
21 Participants
tofikcharoliya
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing