Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried regular fuel in their MDX? How has performance and milage been effected.

The Honda Pilot has the same engine and power train, yet regular fuel is recommended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used premium, mid grade and regular and found absolutely no difference. I will continue to use either regular or mid grade

·
Registered
285 Posts
this has been discussed extensively before, i don't remember any conclusion being drawn but if you search for 'premium gas' you can locate at least three threads with tons of information regarding this issue...

have fun...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Mdx engine design

The engine is designed to run on high octane fuel, if you adjust the timing and computer chip then you could go to regular. If you don't modify these items I would stick with the high octane premium fuel. You could do internal damage upon hard acceleration with detonation within the engine. It could do valve damage and pushrod damage to the heads. If you drive very easy you will probably see no difference at all, but upon acceleration you can do alot of damage. The pilot has the same engine but has been adjusted for lower octane fuel, so there is no worry.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Re: Mdx engine design

paul123 said:
The engine is designed to run on high octane fuel, if you adjust the timing and computer chip then you could go to regular. If you don't modify these items I would stick with the high octane premium fuel. You could do internal damage upon hard acceleration with detonation within the engine. It could do valve damage and pushrod damage to the heads. If you drive very easy you will probably see no difference at all, but upon acceleration you can do alot of damage. The pilot has the same engine but has been adjusted for lower octane fuel, so there is no worry.
Thanks for the warning. It is not worth the risk of damage to the engine to save a few pennies at the gas pump. Just curious, with the MDX tipping the scales at $40,000+, why are we taliking about running lower grades of fuel to save money?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Msc1099:

___Your MDX brochure states 91 Octane (Premium Unleaded) is only recommended, not mandatory. Use whichever you want since the engine will adjust to it and the only item Acura has mentioned was possibly lower performance. Given the Pilot and Odyssey use almost the exact same engine and outputs the exact same HP at 200 – 400 RPM difference with 87 Octane (Regular Unleaded), I would say save the 5 – 15% in fuel costs. Than again, I don’t own the 03 X just yet but when I do, 87 is all she will receive.

___Excalibur, Acura doesn’t say you will be risking any engine damage using Regular Unleaded and irregardless of the $40,000.00 vehicle, saving money is well … saving money.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Msc1099:

___Your MDX brochure states 91 Octane (Premium Unleaded) is only recommended, not mandatory. Use whichever you want since the engine will adjust to it and the only item Acura has mentioned was possibly lower performance. Given the Pilot and Odyssey use almost the exact same engine and outputs the exact same HP at 200 – 400 RPM difference with 87 Octane (Regular Unleaded), I would say save the 5 – 15% in fuel costs. Than again, I don’t own the 03 X just yet but when I do, 87 is all she will receive.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]
Okay? Such being the case, shouldn't we all be using Regular instead of Premium fuel in our MDX's? If we could save 5-15% on fuel costs, then we would have more money left over to buy accessories from Hondacuraworld.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Excalibur:

___Exactly :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Msc1099:

___Excalibur, Acura doesn’t say you will be risking any engine damage using Regular Unleaded and irregardless of the $40,000.00 vehicle, saving money is well … saving money.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

They recommend it because the timing and engine computer chips are different in every model. The MDX is designed for higher octane. Ask your service manager to confirm this. If you accelerate hard and hear that ping, ping sound you know your in trouble. If you drive like grandma, it will probably will not be a problem. If you drive like me with a lead foot go for the premium fuel, it's worth not having the problems in future. Lets face it, look at how much you spent on this vehicle is regular vs premium going to kill you. I doubt it if you could afford this vehicle. If your leasing and going to turn in a couple of years, go for the regular, but if you purchased and are going to keep don't try to save such a small amount it's not worth it in my opinion. The octane affects the horsepower and efficiently of the vehicle.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Question?

paul123 said:

They recommend it because the timing and engine computer chips are different in every model. The MDX is designed for higher octane. Ask your service manager to confirm this. If you accelerate hard and hear that ping, ping sound you know your in trouble. If you drive like grandma, it will probably will not be a problem. If you drive like me with a lead foot go for the premium fuel, it's worth not having the problems in future. Lets face it, look at how much you spent on this vehicle is regular vs premium going to kill you. I doubt it if you could afford this vehicle. If your leasing and going to turn in a couple of years, go for the regular, but if you purchased and are going to keep don't try to save such a small amount it's not worth it in my opinion. The octane affects the horsepower and efficiently of the vehicle.
Q: So, what say you? Less filling or tastes great? Regular or Premium? I think your point makes sense. I think I will stay with Premium. Just want to be sure.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Question?

EXCALIBUR said:

Q: So, what say you? Less filling or tastes great? Regular or Premium? I think you point makes sense. I think I will stay with Premium. Just want to be sure.
Tastes great, Premium!!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Paul123:
They recommend it because the timing and engine computer chips are different in every model. The MDX is designed for higher octane. Ask your service manager to confirm this. If you accelerate hard and hear that ping, ping sound you know your in trouble.
___Have you ever heard the Ping Ping Ping with 87 Octane? I haven’t heard anyone here that has while using it but I have not been around that long either.

___As for the timing and chips being different, are you sure? I have not read this myself but if you have more information, please provide the link. It is probably here somewhere … Given the three engines (MDX, Pilot, and Ody) output the same HP (240 HP) at almost the same exact RPM (5300 vs. 5400 vs. 5500) at the exact same compression ratio (10.0:1) and almost the same exact torque (245 vs. 242 although different torque curves), what makes the MDX so different as to need $ 0.20/gallon increase ($1.39.9 vs. $1.59.9 this evening in my locale) in fuel cost over the Pilot? If you drive your X for maybe 115,000 miles, your speaking of $1,000.00 in excess costs for fuel that is more than likely unnecessary. That is until proven otherwise. Than again, why did Acura recommend or design the X’s engine to use Premium given it has the same pulling capacity as the Pilot? If you say gas mileage (23/17 vs. 22/17), remember the Pilot is 3” taller and much more boxy on the highway so I can see the 1 mpg loss in aerodynamics alone. In the city, they are exactly the same. Only while towing > 3500 pounds does Honda recommend that you use Premium unleaded fuel in the Pilot …

___As for recommending Premium, which is all it is, a recommendation, if it’s not mandatory, why use it? Than again, if you like to throw money out the window, please feel free to throw some my way. I can think of a number of accessories from Tim that would come in very handy with what you throw away at the pump during each and every fill up ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Regular Or Premium?

Uh oh...it seems that the jury has gone back into deliberation on this one.

Q: (Back on the table for discussion) Regular or Premium for the MDX?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Excalibur:

___Let’s watch the outcome of this post for a definitive answer …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
522 Posts
All modern cars have knock sensors and computers that will adjust the engine timing if there is any knock, long before you can ever hear it. In fact, the most efficent operating point of a gasoline engine is at the point where it just starts to knock and many engines will constantly adjust the timing to stay near this point. You will absolutely NOT do any damage to the MDX engine by running regular fuel. The only possible downside is somewhat reduced performance due to slightly less ignition lead. If you ever DO hear a ping, it is an indication that you have a problem in the ECM or KS...

Tom

paul123 said:

If you accelerate hard and hear that ping, ping sound you know your in trouble. If you drive like grandma, it will probably will not be a problem. If you drive like me with a lead foot go for the premium fuel, it's worth not having the problems in future.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Question...

Has ANYONE heard knock with their own ears on a late model car these days?! I highly highly doubt it. That's stuff from the Michael Jackson and Reagan era!

Of course 91 is not mandatory, that's rediculous.

Look, as an example I will give you the new BMW 3.0L inline 6 cylinder engine. It outputs almost 228 US SAE horsepower (231 Euro DIN). In the US though, they rate it at 225. The reason is the gas available. At very high rpm (over 5500 I would say for that engine) torque is diminished slightly. Ok 3 horses is not much, but there is your proof. In 90-something percent of the country, 93 grade is the highest. In Europe, the Middle East, Asia, etc. they have 98 readily available. The engine is designed to go on ITS ENTIRE LIFE just fine on 87 grade, because the computer adjusts timing and firing for it, albeit with reduced efficiency (torque output at some/few rpm ranges). It is designed to adjust between 98 and 87 all day, any day, as many times as you want.

If you ever buy a turbocharged or supercharged engine, use the highest you can get, always. Especially if you live in Texas, LA, Vegas, Miami, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I used mid-grade on my 01 X with no adverse consequences that I could notice in performance or mechanical (noise) for two years!:1:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have had two tank fulls of regular unleaded through my '03 and have not heard a single knock. My RX300 & ES300 Lexus' on the other hand both knock very loudly at full throttle with regular unleaded and they do not recommend the use of premium. It appears that the knock sensor on the engine (both 3.0 liter) is not sensitive enough.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts