Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 01' MDX and want to replace my fuel pump but I'm not looking to purchase the whole assembly.
I've look and shop around for a complete set that has a fuel filter and a tank seal with the pump but i can not find anything.

Can any one help me with a direction of rebuilding a fuel pump assembley?
I put up a picture of a fuel pump with the label parts, from what I found out this picture is for a 3.2CL & 3.2TL and everything is similar for a MDX.

So can I add new fuel parts to my fuel pump assembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
From my 06 factory and Haynes service manuals, looks like the filter (not the strainer) is part of the housing. You might be able to buy it from Honda or Acura - you'll have to check the Honda estore site or call your parts counter. (It'll probably cost more than buying the entire assembly from RockAuto.)

It looks like you can disassemble/reassemble the unit because it has snap over clips, o-rings, and electrical plugs. However, it looks like a pretty complicated assembly. Seems the time to do that, the risk of breaking a clip, a flattened o-ring, or another part wearing out later isn't worth the cost ($150-$200?) and simplicity of R&Ring the pump assembly. You could probably get a 1-3 year warranty depending on the brand (make sure you read it from the info button on the part).

By the way, if you go with RockAuto, search for 5% discount code. Also, I've only had one part fail (a power steering gear) but they honored the return.

Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the advise! Before I go on and replaced the fuel pump I should also replace the fuel filter but I did not see any body that sells it. It makes no sense just replacing the fuel pump and not replace the filter.
Just because my pump is running low on current I that I should replace the pump put I may still have driveability problems if I don't replace the filter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The cost of a new pump might be pretty close to the whole assembly.

I'm pretty limited on pump knowledge and this one design. I've only changed two pumps for lack of pressure in a Nissan Quest and Honda Civic. Both were just the pump with strainer.

FWIW of my also limited electrical knowledge, if you have a potential electrical issue, are you sure it's the pump? You've isolated low current to the pump? It could mean high resistance in the pump circuit. Did you check the fuel pump relay? It's probably a gray one with a white female connector under the dash - might be near the steering wheel shaft but I'm not sure exactly where on the 01. You could search this site or YouTube.

Sorry I can't offer much assistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the assistance.

I've check my fuse under the steering wheel on the left side and the PGM-FI relay under the steering wheel on the right side. Everything is ok. I check the current on the pump connector and this pump has over 120,000 miles on it. So I should just replace my pump. I'm going to check the fuel pressure in a week or two. I'm just going ready to shop for a new pump.
I'll update the fuel pressure reading.

Thanks for all the advice is more tech help for me and others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts