Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 MDX Advance seems to have a recurring problem with the fuel nozzle taking too much force to go in initially and then getting stuck after fueling. Seems to be a common occurrence amongst Honda capless fuel tank vehicles and seems to improve over time...any thoughts or experiences with this? Thinking of going in tomorrow and having the dealer take a look along with pushing for the fuel door realignment and see if they can do all of that in one go.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My 2018 MDX Advance seems to have a recurring problem with the fuel nozzle taking too much force to go in initially and then getting stuck after fueling. Seems to be a common occurrence amongst Honda capless fuel tank vehicles and seems to improve over time...any thoughts or experiences with this? Thinking of going in tomorrow and having the dealer take a look along with pushing for the fuel door realignment and see if they can do all of that in one go.
Why are you forcing the nozzle? It takes no force to gas up. I have never seen that problem on this forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coz it takes some force to insert it before the pump activates, merely sliding it in lol
Does not activate the pump. And yes I get the that's what she said jokes here...
Why are you forcing the nozzle? It takes no force to gas up. I have never seen that problem on this forum.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, I experienced that in my 2015 TLX (cap less). Had trouble with the pump many times, it used to shut off. May be try not pushing in the nozzle too much, that may help.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Coz it takes some force to insert it before the pump activates, merely sliding it in lol
Does not activate the pump. And yes I get the that's what she said jokes here...
This comment confuses me... Pushing the nozzle into the filler neck shouldn't be what "activates" the pump. Squeezing the trigger does that. Are you squeezing the trigger before you insert the pump, and relying on the over-flow/safety mechanism of the pump to avoid spewing gas everywhere? If so, that is just... :surprise:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This comment confuses me... Pushing the nozzle into the filler neck shouldn't be what "activates" the pump. Squeezing the trigger does that. Are you squeezing the trigger before you insert the pump, and relying on the over-flow/safety mechanism of the pump to avoid spewing gas everywhere? If so, that is just... :surprise:
Basically merely putting the nozzle in to the neck and trying to activate the pump doesn't work so you kind of have to push it in with force for the pump to well start pumping. Once fueling is finished, taking the nozzle out of the tank is then problematic since the nozzle is stuck in the tank/filler neck.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Basically merely putting the nozzle in to the neck and trying to activate the pump doesn't work so you kind of have to push it in with force for the pump to well start pumping. Once fueling is finished, taking the nozzle out of the tank is then problematic since the nozzle is stuck in the tank/filler neck.
Interesting. Thankfully I haven't experienced that problem with my MDX, and I haven't seen any other complains about it on the MDX forums.

I'd suggest taking it to the dealer so they can look at it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have this problem with my 2018 Hybrid: the seal mechanism at the base of the pump nozzle has to be pushed firmly against the top of the fill pipe before the pump will allow the gas to flow, trigger or no trigger. It often takes some effort to get it in, and then out. It's as if the curvature of the fill pipe is not consistent with the curvature of the pump nozzle. Perhaps different pump nozzles are different in this regard--I use Chevron gas sold in California, and California may have different nozzle requirements from some other states. The owner's manual suggests there is some kind of issue, on page 558:

"Place the end of the filler nozzle on the
lower part of filler opening, then insert it
slowly and fully. Make sure that the end of the filler
nozzle goes down along with the filler
pipe."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer tested it out and said while it was tight, there wasn't a defect. He basically suggested tipping the nozzle to the side a bit while removing it instead of pulling it straight out. The service rep said he had it tested out twice by two different techs so I didn't make a big deal of it, but def keeping an eye on this one over time and pursuing further if it doesn't improve.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If the party before you has overfilled it causes liquid to build up in the line and that trips the pump because it thinks there is a problem.Try raising the hose to drain the suction line before you start filling or ask the station attendant to check it. I've seen them have to drain a gallon of gas out of the line into a sand bucket before the pump works right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts