Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I am going to take out the manifold again to double check the front camshaft and while I am at it do you think it's necessary to clean the fuel injectors? They are there already in the open. Is there any precaution to remove them and how to clean them? I checked and each costs $54 and definitely don't want to mess one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
I normally use fuel system cleaner that mix with the gas. In my last trip to FL I used two bottles. One tank in the way in and another tank on the way back. Fuel economy increased from avg of 19 (way to FL) to 22 mpg (Way from FL).

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally use fuel system cleaner that mix with the gas. In my last trip to FL I used two bottles. One tank in the way in and another tank on the way back. Fuel economy increased from avg of 19 (way to FL) to 22 mpg (Way from FL).

I did that too 3 weeks again but I really don't see any difference, maybe because my fuel injection system is cleaned. 20-24 mpg on highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Would it be possible to run fuel system cleaner through if yournjust doing city? I wouldn’t see why not, but I just want to check and make sure as I’m literally only city driving in my area.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'll just throw in my opinion: I think fuel injector cleaner is snake oil.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
Would it be possible to run fuel system cleaner through if yournjust doing city? I wouldn’t see why not, but I just want to check and make sure as I’m literally only city driving in my area.
IMHO, the advantage of doing it during long hi-way trips is constant engine temperature and constant fuel flow during long time periods.

I see no reason for not doing it in city. Few months ago, my nephew's Nissan started to fail. Nissan dealer confirmed one bad injector. Labor was expensive. I recommended him to run three tanks with cleaner. At the end of the first tank the engine was running smoothly and there was no need to replace the injector. He did city driving. The injector was obviously clogged and the cleaner worked. He saved around $700.00 the dealer wanted to replace all four injectors, not just one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get 19-20 mpg on my MDX MY13 running 80mph on the interstate. Occasionally I add fuel and injector cleaner. I have no idea if it helps or not. I typically use 93 octane gas but will sometimes fill up half a tank of plus. I have never achieved 22-24 mpg but I think my cruise speeds may be too high to make that number.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ They are indeed too high...
The best MPGs you will get are around 65-75mph.. The difference between 75 and 80mph is very noticeable on the MPGs.
The X is simple not that aero dynamical and the top gears are very tuned towards MPG savings at a specific speed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
^ They are indeed too high...
The best MPGs you will get are around 65-75mph.. The difference between 75 and 80mph is very noticeable on the MPGs.
The X is simple not that aero dynamical and the top gears are very tuned towards MPG savings at a specific speed.
I find I get my best gas mileage at about the 120kms/h = 75mph
I have never added any snake oil in my X
I'm at 130K kms = 80K miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.