Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts
I use 93 octane and no knocking. Was just wondering if a fuel additive will help keep the engine cleaner?
So you are saying, I already waste a ton of money on fuel and will be looking on wasting more to cancel out the additives in the premium fuel to make the engine cleaner (or less cleaner in this logic).

If you want to buy fuel additives, get regular fuel and then buy the additives; if not, just fill up with Shell Nitro V-Power (whatever Shell calls their 93 octane fuel).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
317 Posts
A mechanic I used to frequent (now retired), would use chevron techron fuel injector cleaner for every service interval. But it’s since become unavailable in Canada where I live. Not sure if it’s available for you.

I also use shell v power. We just got 93 in my area.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
You just need to do a little research and look for Top Tier fuels. Those come with detergents/additives already to help keep your engine running clean. Costco is an example of Top Tier fuel and you get it at a discount club price. I've always had good luck going with Sam's club (not Top Tier). I have both Sam's and Costco memberships and both are usually blocks apart in my neck of the woods. You could also just run a tank of Top Tier fuel every few months if the gas station that has it isn't in your local daily errand/work runs.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
317 Posts
One of OP’s comments was about no knocking and I was responding to that. I was also not sure if he meant octane booster when he said additive. I was knocking on 91 going up hills, even on the ecu reflash from Acura. It has since stopped when I started using 93. But I am an old 2010 with the 3.7L with a known issue for this.

Sadly Sam’s does not exist where I’m from in Canada, and know of only one Costco that has a gas station in my parts but it is a 2 hour drive from me 😔

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Is a fuel additive recommended for the 2022 MDX?
No! Use the highest octane gas available.To buy the cheapest gas (lowest octane) possible and then compensate for this foolish decision with a fuel additive is like going to a fancy restaurant and then only ordering an appetizer and then going to McDonald's becaue you are still hungry,

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's no need to use fuel additives. The octane rating has nothing to do with the detergent additives in gasoline.

The owner manual recommends the use of Top Tier gasoline that contains detergents be used. Check the owner manual.
This.

And Honda does not recommend fuel or oil additives be used …. unless you store the vehicle for an extended amount of time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with mdxstang and E92V., use High quality Premium gas. I do. Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil, and some others Top Tier Brands. I didn't know about Costco - the one by me doesn't have gasoline for sale. Never Cumberland Farms, and the other Cheaper brands. Did that one time with our CRV in NJ one time. Must have had water in the gas. After the fill up and then went to see our new granddaughter in NJ , starting the car in the evening was a total adventure. She Cranked and Cranked & cranked. Then finally turned over with big Blowout of white smoke form the tailpipe. The tank was down to 1/4 tank. I immediately went to local Shell Station filled up with Premium - even though CRV only needs 87 octane. That did the trick. Had to be the poor gas.
As I stated re: the new 2022 MDX, I sue Premium only. Perhaps I will test it to run on 91 Octane but that Octane rating doesn't exist by me (NY Metro region), only 87, 89, 92 (Getty - but I don't use Getty gas), & 93. So maybe, with a 1/2 full tank, I would fill up with 89 Octane (which is about 20 cents cheaper than Premium - which averaging appx $4 a gallon - Thank You, uncle joey), and see if there is a diminution of performance and/or MPGs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If if you are towing or driving hard defn go prem. The manual recommends prem but it is not required. If you use regular octane gas, the engine may knock once under hard acceleration or wide open throttle and then the ECU will retard the timing (aka reduce potential power) to compensate for the lower octane fuel. You can get away with regular fuel if you drive easy and don't accelerate hard, floor it, or tow but you most likely may get worse MPGs and thus the cost difference between prem and regular is basically a wash in net fuel costs with risks of causing engine knock occasionally with regular fuel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The same engine in the Pilot, Ridgeline and Accord all drink 87. You’re not gonna hurt it with 87. Modern engines adjust timing to avoid pre-detonation (knocking) if that is your worry. I’ve done long distance testing and mileage goes down about 1 mpg with 87.

Most fuel is purchased through local wholesale distributors. Our local town had a refinery, and all brand trucks fill out of the same nozzle. Some add an additive at the pump, but most do not. Good fuel is more about underground tank maintenance than where it comes from.

Reactions: Maik

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's no need to use fuel additives. The octane rating has nothing to do with the detergent additives in gasoline.

The owner manual recommends the use of Top Tier gasoline that contains detergents be used. Check the owner manual.
Another vote for Top Tier. For me, the improved performance & improved gas mileage was clearly noticeable. Note on improved gas mileage: When I don't try to emulate my favorite NASCAR Cup driver... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The same engine in the Pilot, Ridgeline and Accord all drink 87. You’re not gonna hurt it with 87. Modern engines adjust timing to avoid pre-detonation (knocking) if that is your worry. I’ve done long distance testing and mileage goes down about 1 mpg with 87.

Most fuel is purchased through local wholesale distributors. Our local town had a refinery, and all brand trucks fill out of the same nozzle. Some add an additive at the pump, but most do not. Good fuel is more about underground tank maintenance than where it comes from.
Both the MDX and the Pilot (same rated HP/TQ) use 11.5:1 compression ratios so 87 is fine, at the sacrifice of ~1 mpg it seems. If you are driving like a racecar driver or towing I would stick with prem.

per the manual:
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic
knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine
performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to
engine damage.

"
When towing more than 3,500 lbs (1,590 kg), use of gasoline with a pump
octane number of 91 or higher is recommended.
u Towing performance can be affected by high altitude, high temperature, or
steep uphill "

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts

You sure mpgs drop by 1 MPG? I've done some testing and found out the most fuel efficient octane is 87 and its also nets you the longest range.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
this thread so funny. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You sure mpgs drop by 1 MPG? I've done some testing and found out the most fuel efficient octane is 87 and its also nets you the longest range.

Not extensive tests, no. It was certainly true in another car I had, and some limited testing seemed to bear that out with my MDX so i quit monitoring honestly. Gas is not created equal. Many pumps here now say “may contain ethanol” and they wholesale buy what is cheapest, so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts