Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this reported, except by me(http://acuramdx.org/kb_item.php?id=142), but perhaps others have seen this.

After running through the wash, all 4 wheels get frozen solid. At 20F I had a heck of the time getting out of the garage this morning.

Solutions, comments? Feel like I'm going to break off some large piece of hardware one of these days.

jf

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Do you mean the tires get frozen to the "ground", or do you mean that the brake discs get frozen to the calipers? If the latter, I would think that driving the car for 5 minutes or more after washing it would get most, if not all, of the moisture off the brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frostyra said:
Do you mean the tires get frozen to the "ground", or do you mean that the brake discs get frozen to the calipers? If the latter, I would think that driving the car for 5 minutes or more after washing it would get most, if not all, of the moisture off the brakes.
No, not frozen to the ground. At first I thought the calipers were freezing, which is why I left the parking brake off. Even without the brake engaged, something was still seriously frozen. I drove more than 5 minutes, with at least a couple of stops (city traffic), before parking.

Hate to think that I'm breaking something while trying to delay rust-through

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That's an odd problem - I wash mine a lot, in way cold weather, never had a freezup problem like that. But it's a 12 mile ride from the car wash to home, probably enough time to get rid of moisture. Maybe the increase humidity of the past couple weeks has something to do with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I wash I use the undercarriage wash/rust inhibitor. Perhaps not everyone does. The times it has happened were in the 5°F and less range, I think. Not sure what is freezing up, but it scares the sh*t out of me when it finally breaks loose. Not much humidity in cow country at those temperatures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It was about 5 degrees when it happened to me. As a matter of fact it has happened twice. It scares me also because my wife drives the car most of the time. I hope this is a problem they can fix, because were I live it get quite cold in the winters. When the weathers nice no problems. If they cannot fix this I will give this car up and I will not buy the MDX I will have to op for the GX 470 or FX45 I really like the Pillot and MDX, but I don't like my brake felling like that in cold temperatures.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Blessed said:
It was about 5 degrees when it happened to me. As a matter of fact it has happened twice. It scares me also because my wife drives the car most of the time. I hope this is a problem they can fix, because were I live it get quite cold in the winters. When the weathers nice no problems. If they cannot fix this I will give this car up and I will not buy the MDX I will have to op for the GX 470 or FX45 I really like the Pillot and MDX, but I don't like my brake felling like that in cold temperatures.
I'd be surprised if there is anything that the dealer can do to fix this. Perhaps you could try driving the car a bit longer after going through the car wash and cruising on a highway (if you aren't already doing that), to make sure the X is air dry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With me this happens in the mornings when I wake up if it is very cold that night. Latter on in the day when it is warmer it's okay.
I only drive about 3 to 5 miles to work and I am sure that if I drive longer it would get better, but it is the one time that some one pulls in front of me when they are not working that worries me. Since everybody does not seem to have that problem I wonder could this be a lemon law issue with the people that do. I like my car, but I don't like paying thousands of dollars for something that does not work right. If bought a $100 VCR and the rewind button did not always work I would take it back and get another. I am going to contact Honda I see what they can do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know abt the Lemon Law biz; hasn't caused me to lose use of the vehicle. I really don't care much if/when it happens as long as I don't find pieces of the drivetrain on the garage floor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts