Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing new struts, shocks and a right axle, none of the clunking sounds went away. After searching away. I first found to change out the sway bar bushings! That got rid of about 75% of the clunking. So, I proceeded to change the sway bar links. That cured the clunking up to 90%. So, I then changed out the outter tie-rod ends. Now the cure is up to 95%. I went for a alignment but they refused as they said my inner tie rod on the passenger side was bad. Bingo! There was the final source of knocking. I have now replaced both inner tie rods and damn it, NO KNOCKING. It drives like new!!! 07 MDX, 144k miles. Tech edition.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've got a bit of squeaking on the front left side, mostly heard when I go into my driveway. At this point, I'm not concerned, but in the future would like to get that resolved. Would you know anything about that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
After installing new struts, shocks and a right axle, none of the clunking sounds went away. After searching away. I first found to change out the sway bar bushings! That got rid of about 75% of the clunking. So, I proceeded to change the sway bar links. That cured the clunking up to 90%. So, I then changed out the outter tie-rod ends. Now the cure is up to 95%. I went for a alignment but they refused as they said my inner tie rod on the passenger side was bad. Bingo! There was the final source of knocking. I have now replaced both inner tie rods and damn it, NO KNOCKING. It drives like new!!! 07 MDX, 144k miles. Tech edition.
Thanks for the input!!

I have said knocking still, and really don't want to spend the cash on new struts. ill check my tie rod ends tomorrow!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice. I have a clunking too- my 07 has about 35k on the clock and I'm hesitant to order new lower control arms, just because of the cost. I was thinking about the tie rod ends too, as it seems there's a bit of 'wandering' in the steering. Did you notice a symptom like this / did it resolve with the tie rod ends?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a bit of squeaking on the front left side, mostly heard when I go into my driveway. At this point, I'm not concerned, but in the future would like to get that resolved. Would you know anything about that?
My initial suspicion would be the sway bar bushings. You don't really know how ruined they are until you take them off. The bushings were as hard as plastic, yet they are made of rubber. Replacing those solved my driveway noises. The swaybar links made a squeaking sound while turning the wheels. Watching those make Acura great again videos helped me get on the right track along with skirmich's input when I saw him replacing his links.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Same here. I replaced mine after 250K and 95% of the clunk is gone. Also replaced full suspension (Strut masters), sway bar end links, and tie rods.
Good year says my inner tie rods are still good, replaced the rack 60K ago. What an amazing difference!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here. I replaced mine after 250K and 95% of the clunk is gone. Also replaced full suspension (Strut masters), sway bar end links, and tie rods.
Good year says my inner tie rods are still good, replaced the rack 60K ago. What an amazing difference!
250k !! Its nice to know these cars will go this far. I have a 08' with 78k. Any major or minor issues to look out for along the way?

·
Registered
220 Posts
250k !! Its nice to know these cars will go this far. I have a 08' with 78k. Any major or minor issues to look out for along the way?
Perform all of the maintenance and you will be fine. I expect / hoping to get another 100K at least out of it.
We had the steering rack replaced, that was the biggest unexpected repair. Besides 3 or 4 power steering pumps and the rack, all other maintenance was expected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dealer replaced or shadetree?

If you did the work yourself, what were the part numbers?

·
Registered
338 Posts
@troye,
OK ThanX, I'll look into the parts at my local supplier.

old folks would know the term "ShadeTree Mechanic" :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an update- I replaced my inner and outer TRE with Beck/Arnley from Rockauto. They seem like nice, sealed (non greaseable) units, and the install was pretty straightforward. 99% of the clunking is gone, and the steering seems much more on-point (even if perhaps about 5% to the right). The old TRE’s were floppy and spewing grease when removed, and seemed deflated and overly compressed into the control arm. Hoping for a walk-in alignment tomorrow to see if that highway shimmy and wander is gone.

I’m curious to see what the shop says about the ball joints, as I suspect the faint remaining clunking noise might be due to that lower ball suffering from age.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extended Warranty on Active Dampers!

I'm brand new to the MDXers and had to post my finding of an extended warranty for the help you have given me in the past.

Briefly, the "clunking" in the suspension may be due to leaking active damper/struts. I found the following service bulletin (link and PDF below). Today I had to press the Acura dealership on the point, paid the $75 inspection fee and after ~30min they came back stating they would order new front and rear dampers based on the extended warranty. Importantly, this bulletin expired May 8, 2017. For customer satisfaction, I assume they were able to still honor it. This approach may work for you?

From the bulletin, "In cold areas, the front active dampers may be susceptible to leaking. Since these dampers are mounted in an inverted position, the leak is not visible on the exterior of the damper. If an excessive amount of damper oil has leaked, the active dampers may make a clunk or a bang when driving on rough roads or over speed bumps."

We have a 2012 MDX Advanced package with 80,000 miles on it. The "clunking" over bumps originated from the front passenger side and started mildly in the summer of 2017, progressively got worse, and clunked with every bump this winter. Over the 2017 summer, we replaced the sway bar bushings, as well as the stabilizer bars....it helped some but didn't fix the "clunk". In reading the forums I was trying to determine whether to replace the $$$ struts OEM or go with the modifications for non-active damper struts.

Parts are due to arrive next week, will keep you posted. I hope this helps someone.

I can't post the link as a new member...so Google: acura mdx 16-021 Service Bulletin

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an update they replaced the front (51605-STX-A59 left and right) and back (52610-STX-A55 left and right) ~$2150 in parts under warranty... no charge. I hope this helps someone else!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts