Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Back in Feb. of this year. The passenger side front windsheild side garnish assembly (part #5) broke off with the help of some road turbulence. My guess is during the snow and ice season. either I or someone in the household may have hit the side garnish which weakened the clips that hold the side garnish to the front windsheild and A-pillar.

Anyway, i bought the new side garnish and the clips that hold them. (see attachment - part #9).

The reason why i am here is, to ask if anyone has changed this part? specifically how to go about attaching the side garnish clip to the A-pillar? Is it via 2-way tape or requires some type of all weather adhesive?

Does anyone have the service/repair manual from Acura's site that would have this information? I have ripped most of the manuals from their site. But missed on the more simple things like the front windsheild side garnish.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appears to be adhesive on the 2016 pilot, so probably the same for us.
much appreciated, neoshi!

yes. it is the same. but i didnt know that i know i needed to heat up the damn adhesive to make it stick. another wasted expense on something that should be simple to replace.

i wonder if autozone or advance auto parts loans heat guns. anyone know?

·
Registered
837 Posts
much appreciated, neoshi!

yes. it is the same. but i didnt know that i know i needed to heat up the damn adhesive to make it stick. another wasted expense on something that should be simple to replace.

i wonder if autozone or advance auto parts loans heat guns. anyone know?
I bought mine from a hobby store:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/heat-gun-han100

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought i dig up my OP. since i finally got around (yea...that's right) to putting this piece back on before it got really cold later this year.

anyway, i bought a heat gun from Lowe's.

i anticipated the adhesive backing to the garnish clips were heat activated. but, discovered that heat had no effect to the backing; there was no tackiness at all.

in a state of confusion that i was in for a minute or two there. i was ready to give up. but that is when i searched through good ol' Google for some help.

i queried for the part number rather than the part description to try and narrow my search down. that is when i discovered this PDF doc: http://www.gggcorp.com/PDFs/Honda-and-Acura-Pillar-Molding-Clip-Instructions.pdf
There you will see what appears to be documentation from Honda(?) The garnish clip's backing isnt an adhesive at all which requires heat to be activated. it's just 'cushioning'.

anyway, i will need to add the epoxy it recommends to get this small project done for good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts