Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did not find this problem in the knowledge base (yes, MSU I checked first;) ) I have noticed since I got my 2001 MDX that the driver and passenger windows rattle when open a couple of inches. I was curious if other 2001 owners have noticed the same thing. Since I don't drive much with the windows cracked it is not that big a deal but if others have had the same problem, I might have the dealer check it out the next time I take mine in for service.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yup - mine too. Like you, I rarely have them cracked. I forgot to mention it @ the 7.5k service a few months back. Will mention in a month or so when in for an oil change.

Very annoying. I've found that rolling them down slightly past where you want them, then rolling them back up reduces the rattle. It appears to me that either the rails (inside the door panel) or the seal (around the window area) are too wide, allowing excess side-to-side play. Just guessing of course :)

Here are some other related threads...not exactly right-on, but similar for ideas:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5621&highlight=window+rattle
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4347&highlight=window+rattle

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worm,
Based upon the comments in the threads you provided plus both our experiences, this should be put in the knowledge base. Looks like we have uncovered another potential design or manufacturing flaw in the 2001s. It would be interesting if any 2002s have this problem also.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Tested on '02

I tried the front windows in various positions, at speeds ranging from 40 to 75 mph. No rattle in my '02. I positioned the window by moving down from fully closed, since the original post indicated that approaching from below (moving up) tended to make the rattle go away.

No rattle found!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not a rattle in my 01 X. Tried the same routine as jonnygoodboy, same results. In fact, I have never had any of the complaints that are on this board. Must have lucked out and gotten a good one. Took delivery on Dec. 11, 2000.

;) :D :2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
window rattle

About 6 mo ago my ft pass window rattled when in a partially opened position. Brought it to the dealers attention and they ordered me a new window channel. Appears there was too much play between the glass and sides of the channel. It worked, no more noise.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: window rattle

frankjv said:
About 6 mo ago my ft pass window rattled when in a partially opened position. Brought it to the dealers attention and they ordered me a new window channel. Appears there was too much play between the glass and sides of the channel. It worked, no more noise.
Just bumping this one up. Still haven't been in for service (soon, soon!) but I'm sure the channel play is the culprit as you've mentioned. I've got it on 3 of 4 windows. My only fear is that my dealer will say that since it's on most of the windows, it's "normal". Then I could complain that the 1 non-rattling window needs to be adjusted so it rattles like the rest of 'em. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
This happened in my 95 Honda Civic. It rattled like a mother.

The repairs said " Replaced regulator". See if that could be it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JFK said:
Not a rattle in my 01 X. Tried the same routine as jonnygoodboy, same results. In fact, I have never had any of the complaints that are on this board. Must have lucked out and gotten a good one. Took delivery on Dec. 11, 2000.

;) :D :2:
I don't have a rattle when the window is down while driving. However, I do experience a rattle when the window is down slightly and I close the door. Somewhat annoying, but I guess not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My '01 has this problem.

It is annoying.

Must have it rectified during next service.

Any updates, Worm?

Thanks.

-Traveller

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
rem & I traded emails on this just last week. Neither of us have been in for it yet. Obviously gonna get it addressed but just haven't made it to the dealer. Our windows are partly-down so infrequently that it isn't a big enough nuisance to bring in until our next major service...and I did the last one myself...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts